What's your favorite odd duck/black sheep model?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

What's your favorite odd duck/black sheep model?

Post by Evil D »

I'm talking about a model that you love that doesn't really fit in with your other knives and your typical knife preferences? Do you have a model that you own (or would like to own) that has features that you may not even like, but for some reason you just love the knife?

For me that's absolutely the Nilakka. This knife is so friggin cool, the build is so good it's a knife I'd take apart just to see what's inside. It's so different from everything else I usually like and buy, yet it's a knife that I'll never get rid of and one that I would really love to see in some sprint variations.

It's just such joy to fondle and use. There are so many sharp edges on this handle you'd think it was designed by Minecraft, yet it somehow feels pretty good in your hand. The thumb hole is comically small yet works very well due to having nice crisp edges on the hole and a prominent cutout that guides your thumb right down onto the hole. I also love how that same cutout puts your thumb right on the liner lock to unlock it. It has a nice strong detent that makes a satisfying dull "dink" when you close the blade (why does this knife have a stronger detent than most flippers???). The blade is so beefy Arby's is probably going to sue for some kind of copyright infringement, yet it slices like a laser beam due to the near zero grind edge. It has a deep carry clip that's so deep yet so simple, it lays more flush to the handle than any other clip I own and looks great for being so simple (seriously more knives need clips that screw into the back spacer).

I would love to see this knife in a steel that's better suited for such thin edges (52100), and maybe with some smoother less edgy micarta scales like the Shaman has. I would also love to see an XL version with about a 4-4.5 inch blade.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Re: What's your favorite odd duck/black sheep model?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Definitely the Matriarch! There's a cool story behind it. Last December BBturbo got his Lil Matriarch SE and I thought it was such a cool knife. There was a thread going on and it was being discussed quite a bit, I even had another great member here offer to lend his to me for a bit so I could check it out! (I decided not to, because I would have felt terrible if I damaged it) I showed the picture to my wife saying isn't this a cool knife!? She asked me what it's called and said it's cool because it's so much different any of the other knives I already had.

Fast forward to her birthday on the 19th and I was giving her some gifts and she said she had something for me and didn't want to wait until Christmas. I see that familiar red/black box and feel a bit puzzled because I haven't talked to her about any other knives. The Lil Matriarch SE crossed my mind, but I know they are nearly impossible to find and if she, a non knife nut found one I would have been mind blown! So I open the box and see a rather large looking knife folded up. The Matriarch itself, I had never looked into nor seen it here on the forum, so I didn't even know it existed. I slowly rolled it open with my thumb as I had no idea what the model was...WOW!! We were both like "holy crap!!" What an awesome knife!!

It may not be the most practical knife for edc, but it definitely has a place. I'll never let it go because it was a very thoughtful gift from her, that she actually listened to what I was rambling about with a knife for a change haha. Granted it's not the same as the one I showed her, it's even more bad a$$! It's just a cool knife to show off, there aren't many around quite like it! I used it for landscaping work this summer when trimming back some bushes and plants and it was an absolute effortless shredder. It's the one knife I have that when I'm handling it, I use a little extra caution ;)

Resized_20200321_101435.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Ulize.

It's much bigger than I would normally ever want to carry but I love the hollow grind plus the recurve. I like the design enough to justify the size.
-Nick :bug-red
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Definitely this one. About as wrong handed as a knife can be, thumb hole is nearly invisible. Has a blob of garish plastic for a scale, and only has it on one side. Absolutely nothing separates my fingers from the sharpened blade. Its only redeeming quality is that it's VG-10 and not some rust magnet "tool steel". Lives most of it's life on my computer desk, so it's within reach as I type this, but occasionally replaces my Stretch and accompanies me when I'm going into Greenville with its 3" blade limit. At home it gets used almost daily, opening mail, the occasional package, and the dog's meds.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
anycal

Post by anycal »

Different than anything else I normally use, that would be the Ikuchi.

Carries suppler slim (all handle when closed), long cutting edge, front flipper that snaps open easy and quick, and a tip like no other. The wire clip was made for a knife like this. Perfect for formal events. For me, it is an ideal office knife, where most of the cutting is snack prep.

I like the way it looks, and I don't have anything else like this in my collection. And although the GB2 may have knocked it out of my top 5, it is still a favorite.

Peter
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

For me, the blunted tip knives are the odd ducks in my collection. Some, like the rescue models obviously are suppose to be blunt, however models like the pingo and even my beloved Captain that lack a more precise point see less use and carry for me because of this feature.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
vivi

Post by vivi »

Definitely the Szabo Folder for me.

When it came out I thought it was one of the coolest looking knives Spyderco had ever released.

It's an odd one for me mainly due to the weight, which is a hair under 7oz. Its also my only compression lock knife.

The szabo is the only compression lock knife to date to incorporate a self close feature similar to how a lockback operates. I purchased one partially to support Spyderco expanding on this idea and implementing it into other folders. If the compression lock Military 2 used one, that would get me very excited for a model I may otherwise pass on.

I don't carry mine often but I haven't sold it yet because I love the aesthetics, the ergos, the texturing on my sprint runs CF scales and the unique compression lock.
:unicorn
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

I'd have to say the Vrango. Recurved tanto blade, anodized Ti handles. No cutout for the liner lock. Sharp edges on the entire handle make reaching into the pocket carrying it (tip down only) an uncomfortable endeavor. But for some reason I still love it.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

For me it has to be the Kris!

Oh My! This Kris is amazing.

My Spyderco journey has mostly been about practical performance and less about beauty, form and aesthetics.

Ever since I first saw the Kris I really liked the handle design. The pinned stainless steel bolsters fitted superbly to linen micarta handles just drew my eye and also appeared to be extremely comfortable and ergonomic-- based on my experiences with other handle shapes. I had wanted a Moki-built knife for some time and decided I wanted a pinned and bolstered model, and why not ‘kill several birds with one stone’ and make it a long-discontinued, vintage, bolstered, pinned, backlock, linen micarta, Moki-built, Shempp- designed Spyderco?

Initially when I first saw the Spyderco Kris, I was turned off by the blade shape. In part this was based on how “crazy-looking” this thing is—in part on the question of ‘how to sharpen that thing’ and maybe a little bit of my reservation came from the not-inconsequential history and spiritual life of the Kris/ Keris. The flame and serpent! :p
IMG_20200717_191222sm.jpg
After gaining some ability and interest in sharpening recurves and serrations using the SharpMaker, the undulating blade shape and VG-10 blade steel of the Kris was not so intimidating. We’ll see how that goes when I have to touch up and resharpen.

The gigantic choil also did not appeal to me visually, nor from a “space- efficiency” standpoint. However, in use, the huge choil is pretty cool. I can hold this knife comfortably in so many useful grips it is surprising.

IMG_20200924_150450sm.jpg
IMG_20200709_200724(1).jpg
IMG_20200709_200432(1).jpg
IMG_20200719_075246.jpg
IMG_20200716_201249.jpg
IMG_20200719_075149.jpg
IMG_20200708_210740sm.jpg
It is a luxury item, to be sure.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Ulize.
I dont really care for recurves but the ulize gets a pass.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Needz MOAR!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I really like the Jester, Worker, and Catcherman. I'd like to see updated versions of all 3 make a return to the lineup. Preferably a jimped FRN LW model for the Worker. And a jimped Catcherman 2 with the Endura 4 handle and FFG SE LC200N.

The Ocelot is another I've always been drawn to with those cool paw prints in the handle, drop point blade, and forward spine jimping. I'd be all over a rerun in TiCN Cru-wear with a light colored G10 (Orange would be cool) to let the black paw prints show through.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I find myself explaining my Dodo models to the general public more than any other Spyderco knife I've ever owned. It really amazes me how many people ask me what it is and when I tell them that it's a knife you wouldn't believe some of the answers I've gotten.

To be fair with the people I must say that I'm not aware of any other commercially made knife that looks anything like it.
attila

Post by attila »

It’s the Mantra 2 for me. I dislike liner and frame locks, but this thing surprised me. I really enjoy it despite the lock type, failure-prone bearing washers, not perfectly smooth action, and lock stick.
4A37F101-D5B4-4C8F-A94B-08337001D3E7.jpeg
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Stainless steel handled Cricket with a second place for the Vrango.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Watu watu watu watu. Everyone making fun of it’s looks and comp lock nub need to actually hold one and cut with one.

Also (to a lesser extent) the waterway. Even with its moderate popularity it deserves 10 times that. It is without a doubt my favorite fixed blade.

Plus the tusk mariner. I don’t even own one but man. What a piece.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:47 am
Definitely the Matriarch! There's a cool story behind it. Last December BBturbo got his Lil Matriarch SE and I thought it was such a cool knife. There was a thread going on and it was being discussed quite a bit, I even had another great member here offer to lend his to me for a bit so I could check it out! (I decided not to, because I would have felt terrible if I damaged it) I showed the picture to my wife saying isn't this a cool knife!? She asked me what it's called and said it's cool because it's so much different any of the other knives I already had.

Fast forward to her birthday on the 19th and I was giving her some gifts and she said she had something for me and didn't want to wait until Christmas. I see that familiar red/black box and feel a bit puzzled because I haven't talked to her about any other knives. The Lil Matriarch SE crossed my mind, but I know they are nearly impossible to find and if she, a non knife nut found one I would have been mind blown! So I open the box and see a rather large looking knife folded up. The Matriarch itself, I had never looked into nor seen it here on the forum, so I didn't even know it existed. I slowly rolled it open with my thumb as I had no idea what the model was...WOW!! We were both like "holy crap!!" What an awesome knife!!

It may not be the most practical knife for edc, but it definitely has a place. I'll never let it go because it was a very thoughtful gift from her, that she actually listened to what I was rambling about with a knife for a change haha. Granted it's not the same as the one I showed her, it's even more bad a$$! It's just a cool knife to show off, there aren't many around quite like it! I used it for landscaping work this summer when trimming back some bushes and plants and it was an absolute effortless shredder. It's the one knife I have that when I'm handling it, I use a little extra caution ;)

Resized_20200321_101435.jpeg
Cool story, Rick. :cool: :)

I agree, my favourite ‘odd duck’ knife has to be the Matriarch as well.

It’s definitely a beast of a gardening knife, as you mentioned.

I have the Emerson waved model. It’s my only knife with that feature.

I’ve had a few embarassing moments when I’ve been trying it out as an EDC knife, and I’ve intended to discreetly take it out to cut something, only to have that instant opening THWACK! and people nearby looking with wide dinner plate eyes at that fearsome death claw suddenly appearing in my hand!

It’s a cool knife to take out walking in the forest to flick off overgrown blackberry vines growing over the path.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

The Dodo is definitely the oddest duck in my collection!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

The Jot Singh Khalsa.

Sold my original years ago. One day, if I can find one, I hope to replace it with the Sprint version.