Rock Jumper comparison thread + general info

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Rock Jumper comparison thread + general info

Post by sal »

Hi Soulspy,

Thanx for the for the review.

sal
tangent

Post by tangent »

I just got mine today in plain edge. I love it. It's a homerun as far as I am concerned...however...

Sal, any plans to do a salt version? I think a serrated H1 version and a plain edge LC200N would appeal to a LOT of people.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tangent,

Eric's long term plan is to make a Salt version of most popular models.

sal
James Y

Post by James Y »

sal wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:21 pm
Hi Tangent,

Eric's long term plan is to make a Salt version of most popular models.

sal
😃👍🏻

Jim
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

This is good news. Now it's up to us to make it one of the more popular models then. I'll take possession of mine tomorrow and am excited to try it out. But yeah, the RockSalt would be a great alternative for those who like the Caribbean but want a backlock.
GrossPolluter

Post by GrossPolluter »

Wow! It's been awhile and at my age I usually don't get too excited about dernier cri knives that hit the market, but when I saw the RockJumper at an online retailer today -- man, I was in there buyin' with both hands! Pretty much everything I ever wanted in a knife! Ordered SE and PE, too...

Thanks to Sal and all the posters' pics and info on this thread!
Kind regards.
grubetown

Post by grubetown »

3 days in - veggies, zip ties, packages, threads and the back of my index finger :eek: don't stand a chance against my first SpyderEdge knife
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

grubetown wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:12 am
3 days in - veggies, zip ties, packages, threads and the back of my index finger :eek: don't stand a chance against my first SpyderEdge knife

Hope you (except the back of your index finger of course ;) ) are enjoying the ffg spyderedges performance!
Just something else imho...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

grubetown wrote:
Is your cut from dropping the blade closed? I've been wondering if people would have issues with that on the Rockjumper.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
grubetown

Post by grubetown »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:28 am
grubetown wrote:
Is your cut from dropping the blade closed? I've been wondering if people would have issues with that on the Rockjumper.
Yes, yes it is. This is the first lockback I have used on a regular basis, so may be user error and will share my thoughts.

I have medium sized hands. If my index finger is between the pivot and lock bar screws, the ricasso falls perfectly. If my index finger is further down the scale where the transition of the chamfering is - watch out! :spyder:
grubetown

Post by grubetown »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:54 am
grubetown wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:51 am
I am left handed and switched the clip over for left side carry. My artistic sense is urging me to switch the scale and pivot screws so that the show side has the buttons instead of the screw heads. Any reason I shouldn't do this? My plan would be to do one at a time so I don't run into any reassembly issues. TIA.

As long as the shape and depth of the holes in both scales is the same it should work. Like you said if you do them one at a time you should avoid any issues. You'll know on the first one whether it will work or not.
I attempted the swap this morning and the screw head is smaller then the button, so I guess I will have to deal with unsightly torx heads on my "show" side ;)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

grubetown wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:26 am
JuPaul wrote:
grubetown wrote:
Yes, yes it is. This is the first lockback I have used on a regular basis, so may be user error and will share my thoughts.

I have medium sized hands. If my index finger is between the pivot and lock bar screws, the ricasso falls perfectly. If my index finger is further down the scale where the transition of the chamfering is - watch out! :spyder:
Good to know. The recent Spyopera is similar in design as far as the "hidden ricasso", and you definitely have to have your index finger high up or you'll get bit. So far I've been ok - probably just a matter of building muscle memory.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JuPaul wrote:
grubetown wrote:

That's the other reason I'm probably out on this model. I couldn't get used to the extra blade on the Spyopera and kept dropping it on my index finger. I carry the Enduras, Delicas, and now the Straight Spine Stretch so much that my finger placement muscle memory is based on the extra room those models have. Spyopera is heading out the door to a new home today. C'est la vie! :)

The extra blade is nice however in something like the Tenacious since you don't have that problem with a liner lock.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Seems like if your index finger is that far back from the pivot you're gonna get cut by ANY knife wouldn't you? At that point you're further back than any other ricasso of choil anyway.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:39 pm
Seems like if your index finger is that far back from the pivot you're gonna get cut by ANY knife wouldn't you? At that point you're further back than any other ricasso of choil anyway.

I guess I'd have to have the Rock Jumper in hand to really make that comparison, but on the SpyOpera at least the blade at the rear extends down past the ricasso, and that very pointy area is what kept biting me. The Rock Jumper doesn't have that, but the ricasso isn't nearly as large as the Endura, so it's more of assumption at this point.

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:53 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:39 pm

I guess I'd have to have the Rock Jumper in hand to really make that comparison, but on the SpyOpera at least the blade at the rear extends down past the ricasso, and that very pointy area is what kept biting me. The Rock Jumper doesn't have that, but the ricasso isn't nearly as large as the Endura, so it's more of assumption at this point.

I think the ricasso is every bit as big as the Endura, it's just hidden when open.

You'd have to have your fingers back past the lock to get cut and I think at that point it's user error.
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:06 pm

I think the ricasso is every bit as big as the Endura, it's just hidden when open.

You'd have to have your fingers back past the lock to get cut and I think at that point it's user error.

Ahh, good to know, thanks for pic! I'll be all over the jimped and dented variant in that case! :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

grubetown wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:26 am
JuPaul wrote:
grubetown wrote:

With all due respect, but since this is your first lockback I also think (like others here) that this is not due to the particular design of the Rock Jumper, but would be the case with most lockbacks (or most folders generally) if you use that technique while grabbing the handle too far back

/ Anyway, there are several other easy methods of closing a backlock one handed which I personally prefer over the "let the Ricasso drop on your finger"- technique, which seems to be the only one many are aware of.
Since you are pretty new to the forum [EDIT: Sorry, just realized you are actually not that new here - ]allow me to post some short clips I once made showing three of those other ways of closing a backlock (each method shown one time slow, two times regular speed, see links below). Maybe it helps! :)

https://streamable.com/j7fjd

https://streamable.com/bhhzs

https://streamable.com/myzlt
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

The whole purpose of the "Handle forward" design is to permit the same method of closing on the Endura+ models without changing muscle memory. Unlike the SpyOpera and Siren, I intentionally kept that feature closing feature the same..

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:14 pm
The whole purpose of the "Handle forward" design is to permit the same method of closing on the Endura+ models without changing muscle memory. Unlike the SpyOpera and Siren, I intentionally kept that feature closing feature the same..

sal

To me it's absolutely the same. I don't need to watch my hand or be careful about finger placement, it's already second nature. The placement of the lock well naturally positions your grip in the right place so your index finger hits the ricasso. If anything I'd say this design is more likely to cause people to not drop the blade as far closed as they usually do, if their index finger is further forward on the grip it tends to stop the blade from dropping as much. The further forward your finger is, the less the blade can drop and visa versa. If you close the blade whole holding the handle from under the lock well or further back then I can definitely see the blade swinging down to cut you, but you'll get the same cut from a Native 5 or just about any other back lock because you're too far behind the ricasso/choil.
~David