We’ve got the Military, the Civilian... but would a Spyderco Politician be a good idea?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

We’ve got the Military, the Civilian... but would a Spyderco Politician be a good idea?

Post by ChrisinHove »

Absolutely not - It would be the polar opposite of a Spydie!

It wouldn’t be the sharpest tool in the box, it would fold when you didn’t need it to, wouldn’t be what it said on the box, and would almost certainly be a fake!

(I can only talk from a U.K. perspective, of course. I really need to pay less attention to them).
Sumdumguy

Re: We’ve got the Military, the Civilian... but would a Spyderco Politician be a good idea?

Post by Sumdumguy »

This knife would have to be a saw, because they're all liars. :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Re: We’ve got the Military, the Civilian... but would a Spyderco Politician be a good idea?

Post by Evil D »

Blade steel made of aluminum foil but somehow still rusts. Lock designed to deliberately close at the worst possible time. All the screws somehow have red Loctite on them yet also manage to get loose but you can't adjust them. Instead of MAP being 40% off it's 40% over MSRP.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:22 am
Blade steel made of aluminum foil but somehow still rusts. Lock designed to deliberately close at the worst possible time. All the screws somehow have red Loctite on them yet also manage to get loose but you can't adjust them. Instead of MAP being 40% off it's 40% over MSRP.
Hahaha, sounds about right.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Exactly!
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:13 am
This knife would have to be a saw, because they're all liars. :p
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Spyderco Politician? Nah. I'll pass...
What's the point?
According to the name, it would be a useless, dull, but crazy expensive knife :D
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The handle would cut, the blade would be dull.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:59 am
Absolutely not - It would be the polar opposite of a Spydie!

It wouldn’t be the sharpest tool in the box, it would fold when you didn’t need it to, wouldn’t be what it said on the box, and would almost certainly be a fake!

Well, right, but then: It would not be used for cutting anyway, cause the
actual real work would still have to be done by Military and Police (and, yes, Civilians) ..;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

You would keep it in the rotation for 45 years but never actually use it because it never meant to actually do anything productive in the first place.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Why would I want a knife that refuses to help me because I am not rich enough?
jacala

Post by jacala »

The top end would need to be small and the bottom end fat.
It would be high priced and fairly useless.
The upkeep would send you broke fast because of high maintenance costs.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Double the reason to keep away from children!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:22 am
I mean... this sounds good, but unless I have to wait years, (maybe decades?) for an opportunity to pay for an application to (hopefully be able to) buy one, I'm not interested.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Unfortunately, no matter how terrible a knife in every respect the Politician would be, it would still sell like crazy, because people would still “buy into” them and keep believing the hype. Especially the sprints, with different-colored handle scales (red or blue), and different steels, which would promise more and better, but still end up being the same degree of useless. If you’re unhappy with it because it doesn’t function as promised (which you inevitably will be), you’re stuck with it for the next several years, because the return policy for this model doesn’t allow immediate returns. But people keep on buying them anyway. Most of them end up being used as golf course ornaments. :p

Jim
anycal

Post by anycal »

Well, you can put it up for a poll. But I have a feeling it would end up being polarizing and divisive.
Peter
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd rather have an Advocate.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

How about The Anarchist!

-Rick
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

The great thing is you wouldn't need a clip or a sheath. You store it conveniently "tip in" between your shoulder blades.
Last edited by bobnikon on Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm kind of surprised That TAZKRISTI hasn't censored this thread :rolleyes: You all know how she doesn't like anything that leans toward "politics">> and who can blame her either :rolleyes:

As long as the politicians here in Missouri leave the 4 inch blade limit on folders alone I'll leave them alone. Yep!! if it Ain't Broke Then Don't Try To Fix It :)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

No lines being crossed yet is pretty impressive, and lots of hilarious posts!

-Rick