Any love for the Kiwi 4?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Enkidude

Re: Any love for the Kiwi 4?

Post by Enkidude »

I really thought this would be the only folder I would buy this year, but I never pulled the trigger. The price is a tad more than I was expecting. Maybe after I unload a few from the collection, I'll pick this one up. I really like the ergos on the non-locking version so I was real excited for this one.
matt009au

Post by matt009au »

I'm loving my kiwi 4. Big fan of the original and this one is great. The handle especially is super comfy and thin.
I wonder if the handle design could work with a blade shape with the bit of belly? A nice long thin clip or drop point!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

matt009au wrote:I'm loving my kiwi 4. Big fan of the original and this one is great. The handle especially is super comfy and thin.
I wonder if the handle design could work with a blade shape with the bit of belly? A nice long thin clip or drop point!!
I don't see why not. The handle even has some curve to it at the butt that would follow some blade belly nicely. I love wharnies but I wouldn't mind a little belly either, maybe something along the lines of how much belly a Delica or Manix 2 has.
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Evil D - your modded Kiwi 4 has got me fiending for one. The Air initiated my wharncliffe love, but it's that buttery g10 polish that you brought to the table that kicked the Kiwi onto my gottagetit list.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DigDug72 wrote:Evil D - your modded Kiwi 4 has got me fiending for one. The Air initiated my wharncliffe love, but it's that buttery g10 polish that you brought to the table that kicked the Kiwi onto my gottagetit list.
Thanks man! It was a lot of work, so if you plan on following suit, be prepared to have sore fingers lol. Remember to be careful with how much you grind down the scale pins, you don't want to pop one off and ruin the knife.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Bumping to ask again, any love for the Kiwi 4?

I absolutely love thin little folders like this. Excellent for kitchen utility (small food packages etc), opening letters, and detail work. Any interest in a modern sprint of this?
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Like always, bring it back with a contoured handle and I'm in even if it's plain old stainless, it just needs to be contoured this time around and if it's G10 it needs to be polished.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:44 pm
Like always, bring it back with a contoured handle and I'm in even if it's plain old stainless, it just needs to be contoured this time around and if it's G10 it needs to be polished.
I'll agree. Although I'll counter that suggestion with contoured linen micarta.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Evil D wrote:
I'll agree. Although I'll counter that suggestion with contoured linen micarta.
Evil D wrote:

Agreed on all counts.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Evil D wrote:
I think we might need a reminder of how incredibly comfortable it looks with contoured scales. ;)

I'd be in for a new version of the Kiwi 4 no matter what but I agree that contoured scales would really put it over the top!
-Nick :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Count me in as well, on practically anything offered. I've always thought this design was so cool. Not normally a fan of a lot of the discontinued models, but this one...I'd love one of some sort.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Kiwi 4 is one that I had my eye on after they were discontinued. National Knives (I think) had them in stock for quite awhile for a discounted price. I kept telling myself to grab one while I could but something else would always come up. Then I looked again one day and they were gone. It's one of the only knives I regret not picking up. I certainly wouldn't mind another crack at one
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:53 pm
Kiwi 4 is one that I had my eye on after they were discontinued. National Knives (I think) had them in stock for quite awhile for a discounted price. I kept telling myself to grab one while I could but something else would always come up. Then I looked again one day and they were gone. It's one of the only knives I regret not picking up. I certainly wouldn't mind another crack at one
Exactly where I kept seeing it, around $170 wasn't it? Same as you though, so many new exclusives and sprints were dropping or upcoming, I waited too long.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

It's unusual enough that I think a sprint would do well.

I'd love to see it in K390.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

After seeing Paul’s collection I’d certainly buy one but only if it was Vanax. :rolleyes: :D
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:56 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:53 pm
Exactly where I kept seeing it, around $170 wasn't it? Same as you though, so many new exclusives and sprints were dropping or upcoming, I waited too long.
It was way less than that. I'm thinking under $100 but could certainly be wrong but not by much
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:24 pm
...I’d certainly buy one but only if it was Vanax. :rolleyes: :D
Ha! and Titanium!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:28 pm
Bloke wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:24 pm
...I’d certainly buy one but only if it was Vanax. :rolleyes: :D
Ha! and Titanium!
Now you’re talking, Pat! You’re a man after my own heart. Ah, hahaha! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Evil D wrote:
Polished G10 is something I love. This knife really needs to be reintroduced. With all of the current interest in wharncliffe blades this knife's time has come, finally. I would not mind a steel upgrade to ZDP-189 or CTS-204P, but even VG10 is fine with me.

I kept buying other knives that fit my needs better at the time, thinking the K4 would be around for a long time. I waited too long.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Heck yeah!

I regularly carry mine. It’s a great fit for larger hands, deep carry and a really useful blade shape.