Vanax PM2 Lets Do This!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: Vanax PM2 Lets Do This!!!

Post by JRinFL »

MaxFactor wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:06 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:36 am
Combine that with the bad idea of $400+ folding knife that is supposed to be used as a dive knife? Ha.
No one requested a folding dive knife. It takes a few moments of critical thinking to realize that concept wouldn't play out well. Have you ever worked in the Sun in Guam in September? Your pocket ends up being just as wet and salty as the ocean; if not more so. Perfect use case for this concept.
Well, the "shark stabbing knife" has already been brought up which implies diving/snorkeling. :rolleyes:

I have worked all summer outside in Florida heat and humidity and none of my knives have rusted or corroded. None required Vanax as H1,LC200N, VG-10, and S30V more than meet the needs and cost so much less. But, if you have the belief that only Vanax can possibly suit your needs, then hopefully your dreams will come true. Time & resources spent on this project would be better spent on other endeavors IMO, but the Pochi is coming to market so...
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:29 pm
The PM2 is not interesting to me. A 4 inch straight spine Stretch Salt in Vanax would be really nice.

Yes, yes, and yes! I am 100% buying the base version of the SSSXL in Cruwear the day it is released, but a Vanax Salt model would be awesome as well. This model may ultimately become my favorite. It feels like a combination of a Military, SSS, and Endura, which happen to be my 3 favorite models at the moment. Give me a Cruwear version and a Salt version (Vanax, LC200N, H1 SE, whatever) and I will be a happy camper! H1 SE actually sounds pretty awesome in this model. I have been wanting an H1 SE Military Salt forever.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It would be awesome for sure. I agree, LC200N, H1, or Vanax would be fine.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Ifuxwrox wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:21 am
Hey sal, thanks for the warm welcome. I hope you’re thinking about a vanax dragonfly2. Favorite spyderco ever! I’d buy a mule team and kit it out with some red and black g10.

This is also a great idea given the cost of the steel. The Dragonfly is already set up in Salt form, so assuming there are no combability issues with the current hardware steel(s) and Vanax in regards to galvanic corrosion it may be feasible. Using a small hunk of steel the size of the Dragonfly blade would hopefully allow users to experience this steel at a reasonable cost. The Dragonfly is a VERY capable knife for it's size. It hits well above it's weight as Sal would say.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
racerx454

Post by racerx454 »

I would definitely purchase a Spyderco in Vanax. Please consider using Vanax, Sal!
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I'm always a little concerned with steel campaigns like this...

Vanax (I'm assuming we're all talking about super-clean here), like Sal said is prohibitively expensive and difficult to get. Meaning there is very few actual vanax blades out there (and even less being actively used I'm sure) but a lot of hype. And while in concept it sounds wonderful, I mean how could I turn down M390 level wear resistance with close to the toughness and stainlessness of Lc200n? but I'm afraid due to the lack of actual testing and "real world use" that most spydercos go through, we're all going to be a little disappointed with our 500 dollar pm2s when the steel doesn't immediately obliterate everything it comes in contact with...

Again I'm not saying that vanax is bad, I'm just saying we don't know enough about it to say it's the end all be all of steels. And seeing the low availability and high cost of it, I'm not sure it's worth it. Especially when simply running lc200n at 60-61 hrc achieves nearly the same goal. Trading just a tad of vanax's edge retention for absolute stainlessness, more toughness, and easier sharpening.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:07 am
MaxFactor wrote:
JRinFL wrote:
Combine that with the bad idea of $400+ folding knife that is supposed to be used as a dive knife? Ha.
No one requested a folding dive knife. It takes a few moments of critical thinking to realize that concept wouldn't play out well. Have you ever worked in the Sun in Guam in September? Your pocket ends up being just as wet and salty as the ocean; if not more so. Perfect use case for this concept.
Well, the "shark stabbing knife" has already been brought up which implies diving/snorkeling. :rolleyes:

I have worked all summer outside in Florida heat and humidity and none of my knives have rusted or corroded. None required Vanax as H1,LC200N, VG-10, and S30V more than meet the needs and cost so much less. But, if you have the belief that only Vanax can possibly suit your needs, then hopefully your dreams will come true. Time & resources spent on this project would be better spent on other endeavors IMO, but the Pochi is coming to market so...
Going out on a whim here, but I never interpreted "shark stabbing knife" to mean literally a diving knife. I believe this to be steel nerdery of the highest order. The enjoyment of having the most extreme steels in each category is certainly a motivation for some knife nerds. What you call that category for your self doesn't necessarily reflect real life use :)
I don't know the OP, but like most of us I think he enjoys knives and steels beyond their basic function, and that the wants and likes are a bigger acquisition drivers than the actual needs.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I do not know enough about Vanax, that is for sure. I did get this from Alpha Knife Supply, "All Bohler Uddeholm powder metallurgy stainless steel alloys have the HIP can. Beware of Elmax, M390 & Vanax that have the factory pickled descaled finish. These sheets still have the HIP can."

The more I look, the more I see stuff I do not understand. I do understand that a Vanax Spyderco will be expensive and hard to get. Currently, I am out because it does not exist and there are too many cool Spyderco projects that do exist. That, and I would only buy a fixed blade Vanax.
Carlito555

Post by Carlito555 »

Someone may have suggested already, but debuting a pm2 LW in Vanex would help keep costs lower and guarantee some more buyers who are anxiously awaiting that FRN platform.
865knives

Post by 865knives »

ON BOARD!!!!! Would love to see this come to fruition.Totally stainless, titanium, LC200 stop pin. Dreams could come true here. Also would be ok with a LC200 paramilitary 2 or para 3lw to tide me over until the unicorn is produced.
865knives

Post by 865knives »

I am on board with this...all of this. I would be ecstatic to see this come to fruition. Superior corrosion resistance premium if you would. I approve this message.
pm2og wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:57 pm
I think we need a Vanax PM2. If you follow me on instagram you are well aware of my campaign to get this done. I know Sal is here and Spyderco doesn't interact on IG. I would love to see this happen.

We are hoping for a full true stainless PM2 with Vanax Steel.

Titanium Scales (like the copper PM2 but with titanium and more machined cuts to reduce weight).
Titanium Lock Bar for the compression lock.
Titanium Hardware (could be coated where titanium isn't a good idea).
Shipped Tip Up (ok now the demands are crazy but I had to try).

This will be my shark stabbing knife. I really need a good one.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Carlito555 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:34 pm
Someone may have suggested already, but debuting a pm2 LW in Vanex would help keep costs lower and guarantee some more buyers who are anxiously awaiting that FRN platform.

I'm confused here....how would debuting a Vanax PM2 LW make costs lower?

We are talking about 2 new implementations for the company.

A PM2 LW, if it ever happens, would mean another brand new mold and tooling investment from Spyderco. Additional costs to the production overhead of an already expensive steel choice. The Native 5 and Manix 2 LW platform didn't make the Maxamet versions any cheaper.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:20 am
I'm always a little concerned with steel campaigns like this...

Vanax (I'm assuming we're all talking about super-clean here), like Sal said is prohibitively expensive and difficult to get. Meaning there is very few actual vanax blades out there (and even less being actively used I'm sure) but a lot of hype. And while in concept it sounds wonderful, I mean how could I turn down M390 level wear resistance with close to the toughness and stainlessness of Lc200n? but I'm afraid due to the lack of actual testing and "real world use" that most spydercos go through, we're all going to be a little disappointed with our 500 dollar pm2s when the steel doesn't immediately obliterate everything it comes in contact with...

Again I'm not saying that vanax is bad, I'm just saying we don't know enough about it to say it's the end all be all of steels. And seeing the low availability and high cost of it, I'm not sure it's worth it. Especially when simply running lc200n at 60-61 hrc achieves nearly the same goal. Trading just a tad of vanax's edge retention for absolute stainlessness, more toughness, and easier sharpening.
Fish, you’ve said what I think but here’s my slat anyhow.

I don’t have any interest in a Vanax folder whatsoever.

However, l’d love to see a dedicated, full tang, small game, fixed blade knife, akin to the old Gerber Pixie. I’d love to see polished G10 scales like Mr Wilson’s knives, preferably detachable, and I’d gladly pay the premium if Spyderco’s interpretation of Vanax matched or bettered the characteristics of the Vanax SC blade I have made by Luong (Bluntcut).

I wouldn’t be interested in a Vanax filleting knife either because I cut through heavy rib bones often enough and I’ve been spoiled by S90V. That said, where Vanax well and truly has it over S90V and other blade steels is in corrosion resistance Not that S90V isn’t corrosion resistant to a point but if you were to use it and forget about it, as sometimes happens, if nothing else, at very least the edge would degraded through corrosion. Not so with Luong’s knife which I couldn’t rust with over two months in a saltwater wicking bath which I eventually let evaporate. After cleaning the dry salt off the blade it was like new and freshly sharpened just the way I left it in the first place.

I don’t think Vanax is going to do anything that isn’t already being done with current steels freely available in an array of affordable folders except that you’ll never need to worry about it staining or rusting in any way. Though that can also likely be said for LC200N.

All the hype on edge retention, etc. is just that and an unknown as no Spyderco Vanax SC production blades actually exist so the way I see it, overall this thread is much ado over nothing and personally, I’m still patiently waiting for a Maxamet Military. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
pm2og

Post by pm2og »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:46 am
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:07 am
MaxFactor wrote:
JRinFL wrote:

Going out on a whim here, but I never interpreted "shark stabbing knife" to mean literally a diving knife. I believe this to be steel nerdery of the highest order. The enjoyment of having the most extreme steels in each category is certainly a motivation for some knife nerds. What you call that category for your self doesn't necessarily reflect real life use :)
I don't know the OP, but like most of us I think he enjoys knives and steels beyond their basic function, and that the wants and likes are a bigger acquisition drivers than the actual needs.
Well stated kind sir🤜🏼🤛🏼💥
albatrosses

Post by albatrosses »

I’m in for a pre-order on the TiVan PM2. I’d also go for a TiVan Military, too. I figure both would be epic. I’m just thrilled Sal and Eric are talking about Vanax. My hopes are high that this project comes to fruition.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I just read through every post here. As pointed out earlier, the OP’s abrasiveness, and frankly sort of a cocky jerk attitude, may have turned some people off from the concept of a vanax Spyderco knife. I know it did for me. However, as I continued through the thread I changed at how I thought about the idea.

It likely has merit, but at what cost? Spyderco makes excellent knives in useable, unique, and affordable designs. A $600 titanium and vanax PM2 doesn’t strike me as anything more than a knife living out its days in a climate controlled room or safe.

After objectively looking at this concept I’m not a buyer given the other excellent options available.
Carlito555

Post by Carlito555 »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:28 pm
Carlito555 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:34 pm

I'm confused here....how would debuting a Vanax PM2 LW make costs lower?

We are talking about 2 new implementations for the company.

A PM2 LW, if it ever happens, would mean another brand new mold and tooling investment from Spyderco. Additional costs to the production overhead of an already expensive steel choice. The Native 5 and Manix 2 LW platform didn't make the Maxamet versions any cheaper.
Ummmm vs titanium? Plus I believe the mold is somehow already in the works, thus leaving the cost of vanax being the only variable.
Carlito555

Post by Carlito555 »

Rinzler wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:57 pm
I just read through every post here. As pointed out earlier, the OP’s abrasiveness, and frankly sort of a cocky jerk attitude, may have turned some people off from the concept of a vanax Spyderco knife. I know it did for me. However, as I continued through the thread I changed at how I thought about the idea.

It likely has merit, but at what cost? Spyderco makes excellent knives in useable, unique, and affordable designs. A $600 titanium and vanax PM2 doesn’t strike me as anything more than a knife living out its days in a climate controlled room or safe.

After objectively looking at this concept I’m not a buyer given the other excellent options available.
At 600 I definitely see your point...I am extremely hesitant to use my crucarta shaman for anything these days...it needs to be in the range where using is feasible for sure.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Rinzler wrote:
...A $600 titanium and vanax PM2 doesn’t strike me as anything more than a knife living out its days in a climate controlled room or safe.
I could be wrong but I don't think it would be $600. A Ti PM2 doesn't really thrill me. So I'm on the fence regardless but if it's that much I'm definitely out. $600 is more than the little Shiro I've been contemplating
Carlito555 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:47 pm
...I am extremely hesitant to use my crucarta shaman for anything these days...
I understand where you're coming from but you might as well use it that one. The Z-Wear version will be out soon enough. If they make as many as I think the Cruwear ones won't be as desirable as they are now. What's the sense in keeping it new for someone else anyway? Use it and get some enjoyment out of it. That one's too good to not use IMO
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Rinzler wrote:

First off, thank you very much. You said it way nicer than I probably ever could have... however

Depends who you are, I have carried/carry and used multiple sebenzas, strider SNG, shirogorov F3, a few hinderers, Medford’s, etc... some I have sold, some I have re-purchased. safe queens aren’t bad if it makes you happy and you just want to own one, but one can’t say that because a knife is over $400 or $500 that it will never get used. They get bought all the time whether they are used or not!
So looking at it from that perspective, it may do better than we think.

Just in case there’s any doubt... price will no doubt control who buys, but that doesn’t mean it won’t get carried or used.

I also must finish with i would NEVER pay more than $200 for a PM2. Period. I don’t care what it’s made of.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006