Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Post by vivi »

I was curious how much of the edge holding on my K390 Police was due to the edge I gave it VS the steel, so I gave my VG10 Lightweight the same treatment.

Reset the bevel on a 200 grit diamond plate until there was no microbevel, refined it on the 300 grit plate until it could shave, then stropped a few times on 7 micron diamond paste loaded leather.

Still carrying K390 G10 version until it stops shaving. I haven't touched up the edge since I posted it in this thread earlier this month. I was thinking about stropping it yesterday but when I checked it still shaved, so I'll hold off for now.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Say VIVI I've got a couple of sharpening questions I've been meaning to ask you. Since my 2 recent shoulder surgeries ( left shoulder) I've found myself using my two 204 Sharpmaker units a lot more than I usually do. One reason is I can clamp the base of the 204 unit down and use one handed. I probably haven't used my 204 Sharpmakers this much in the past 5 to 7 years. I've been making some observations and I just thought I would share them with you guys.

First off I've been thinking that a larger scale Sharpmaker system would be better for bigger folders and many mid to large sized fixed blades. Take the stones on the 204 Sharpmaker and me using them one handed>> I could control my strokes a lot better if the stones were a bit wider ( maybe twice as wide). A bigger scale Sharpmaker I do believe would make sharpening bigger blades easier IMO.

Second question revolves around my growing love of Spyderco's GOLDENSTONE. I do hope that we are eventually going to see more grits available for the GOLDENSTONE. I feel I could really do a lot better field sharpening and maintaining if I had an ULTRA-FINE version of the GOLDENSTONE. I'm also still holding out hope that they will get that "base unit" on the market for the GOLDENSTONE. I think that the GOLDENSTONE has the potential of being the ultimate field sharpener. But more grits are needed for sure.

I would love your thoughts about these two sharpening tools. Or any of the rest of you who could add some suggestions as well.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

IMG_0276.JPG
Spent the afternoon touching up the Spydies :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

After mentioning the Aqua Salt a few times tonight, I got mine out and gave it the 300 grit treatment in the form of a microbevel....finishing with 7 micron diamond stropping paste.

Gonna give the Street Bowie a rest and start taking this blade out for hikes, camping trips etc. Been too long since I've put it to work!

Someday soon I need to clean up the back bevel. It's nice and thin, but very uneven.

vivi

Post by vivi »

I've been raving about these stones for a while. I like them enough I just picked up another one. I needed to stop in Harbor Freight for some more hammock ropes. I'm going to use this one exclusively for sharpening, and the old one for reprofiling knives.

If you get one I'd try to buy it in person. Some of them fit more snug in the base than others. My first is a little tough to pull out, this one is smooth. Also on one I checked out today one of the rubber pads on the bottom fell off.

They're just cheaply made chinese diamond plates, but they're a great value. 4 diamond plates for $12. The 200 grit side reprofiles fast, like a DMT XX Coarse. The 300 grit side is what I've been using for my toothy edges, like that Police 4 K390 I'm struggling to dull past shaving sharp within a month.

I highly recommend trying one of these out for coarse, toothy edges that really grab a hold of what you're cutting. If you don't like the edge they give they're still a nice, economical solution to hogging off steel and setting a thinner bevel before cleaning up on higher quality stones.

PStone

Post by PStone »

vivi wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:34 pm
I've been raving about these stones for a while. I like them enough I just picked up another one. I needed to stop in Harbor Freight for some more hammock ropes. I'm going to use this one exclusively for sharpening, and the old one for reprofiling knives.

If you get one I'd try to buy it in person. Some of them fit more snug in the base than others. My first is a little tough to pull out, this one is smooth. Also on one I checked out today one of the rubber pads on the bottom fell off.

They're just cheaply made chinese diamond plates, but they're a great value. 4 diamond plates for $12. The 200 grit side reprofiles fast, like a DMT XX Coarse. The 300 grit side is what I've been using for my toothy edges, like that Police 4 K390 I'm struggling to dull past shaving sharp within a month.

I highly recommend trying one of these out for coarse, toothy edges that really grab a hold of what you're cutting. If you don't like the edge they give they're still a nice, economical solution to hogging off steel and setting a thinner bevel before cleaning up on higher quality stones.

I’m going to go get one now. I will post thoughts either later tonight or tomorrow. Never been steered wrong by you sir!
PStone

Post by PStone »

Ok. So I only live a mile from harbor freight. Went and picked one up, and reprofiled my Hap40 Endura. Pretty impressive for only $13.04 w/tax. A little smaller than I’m used to for a reprofiling stone. I use a Norton coarse crystolon 4”x11” usually. The 200# is extremely coarse. Couldn’t get a hair popping edge off that. But did cut back my bevel very quickly. The 400# is still pretty coarse, but easily gave me that sticky sharpness and really pops hairs off my arm. And that’s all I used. No strop yet even. I’m very happy with the results I got so quickly. Literally an hour total to go get it, pick a knife, do the work, and type this up. Thank you for the recommendation Vivi! I too urge everyone else to try one if they can.

vivi

Post by vivi »

PStone wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:27 pm
Ok. So I only live a mile from harbor freight. Went and picked one up, and reprofiled my Hap40 Endura. Pretty impressive for only $13.04 w/tax. A little smaller than I’m used to for a reprofiling stone. I use a Norton coarse crystolon 4”x11” usually. The 200# is extremely coarse. Couldn’t get a hair popping edge off that. But did cut back my bevel very quickly. The 400# is still pretty coarse, but easily gave me that sticky sharpness and really pops hairs off my arm. And that’s all I used. No strop yet even. I’m very happy with the results I got so quickly. Literally an hour total to go get it, pick a knife, do the work, and type this up. Thank you for the recommendation Vivi! I too urge everyone else to try one if they can.

Nice looking edge! Glad it gave you good results. I haven't gotten shaving sharpness off the 200 side, but the 300 gets me at least hair scraping sharp, and a bit of stropping gets it to cleanly shaving. These edges are fun to use!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

PStone wrote:
Ok. ...
Hey PStone, that edge certainly looks like it’ll cut and nice to see another coarse edge, either ways. :cool:

I only have a little bit of HAP40 in a Delica. I reprofiled it when I first got it to a 1200 Venev bonded diamond at around 28deg or a little less and a couple of light swipes on the SharpMaker fine rods at 40deg left a hair whittling edge (Thanks, Gringo.). Which is great but it’s not the the most useful edge. And, and for what it’s worth I don’t use a 40deg micro bevel on anything anymore.

With the SiC stone you mention ... do you dress/flatten the stone? ... it’s a simple process and you only need a little loose grit SiC, a sheet of glass and some water. It flattens, cleans and “resharpens” the stone all in one hit which I feel is extremely important as the sharper the stone the less burr it is likely to push. So I always start with a fresh stone. I refresh as required and always finish the final swipes with a freshly dressed stone. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
PStone

Post by PStone »

vivi wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:12 pm
Nice looking edge! Glad it gave you good results. I haven't gotten shaving sharpness off the 200 side, but the 300 gets me at least hair scraping sharp, and a bit of stropping gets it to cleanly shaving. These edges are fun to use!
Thanks man! It’s definitely a different edge than I get off either my coarse Norton SiC and Doublestuff CBN. Waaaay more bite to it.
vivi

Post by vivi »

PStone wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:52 pm
vivi wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:12 pm
Thanks man! It’s definitely a different edge than I get off either my coarse Norton SiC and Doublestuff CBN. Waaaay more bite to it.
Exactly my experience. I have an 80 grit norton Crystalon stone, DMT X and (in the past) XX Coarse, Congress 120 grit EDM stones, diamond sharpmaker rods and many other low grit options. The edges I'm getting off this humble $12 stone cut so aggressively I've stopped using anything else on my PE knives, aside from my more polished chef knives.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:30 pm
PStone wrote:
Ok. ...
Hey PStone, that edge certainly looks like it’ll cut and nice to see another coarse edge, either ways. :cool:

I only have a little bit of HAP40 in a Delica. I reprofiled it when I first got it to a 1200 Venev bonded diamond at around 28deg or a little less and a couple of light swipes on the SharpMaker fine rods at 40deg left a hair whittling edge (Thanks, Gringo.). Which is great but it’s not the the most useful edge. And, and for what it’s worth I don’t use a 40deg micro bevel on anything anymore.

With the SiC stone you mention ... do you dress/flatten the stone? ... it’s a simple process and you only need a little loose grit SiC, a sheet of glass and some water. It flattens, cleans and “resharpens” the stone all in one hit which I feel is extremely important as the sharper the stone the less burr it is likely to push. So I always start with a fresh stone. I refresh as required and always finish the final swipes with a freshly dressed stone. :)
Hey Bloke. I don’t flatten it. But I have noticed a drop in performance like you mention. I do battle burrs sometimes. I always figured I was using to much pressure. So I lightened up my hands and seemed to fix that issue. But my bevels tend to have a bit more convexing now than they used to. I assume I’m not holding my angles consistent enough throughout my alternating strokes, since I’m making so many more now(lighter pressure).

Where can I get loose powder? Would my local hardware store have it?
PStone

Post by PStone »

vivi wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:00 pm

Exactly my experience. I have an 80 grit norton Crystalon stone, DMT X and (in the past) XX Coarse, Congress 120 grit EDM stones, diamond sharpmaker rods and many other low grit options. The edges I'm getting off this humble $12 stone cut so aggressively I've stopped using anything else on my PE knives, aside from my more polished chef knives.
I have the IM313 oilstone setup from Norton. I think it’s the same 80 grit you have, a 120 med, and a fine 400 India stone. I don’t have much experience with diamonds, but can’t believe the difference in grit ratings.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

PStone wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:03 pm
Hey Bloke. I don’t flatten it. But I have noticed a drop in performance like you mention. I do battle burrs sometimes. I always figured I was using to much pressure. So I lightened up my hands and seemed to fix that issue. But my bevels tend to have a bit more convexing now than they used to. I assume I’m not holding my angles consistent enough throughout my alternating strokes, since I’m making so many more now(lighter pressure).

PStone, I’m fairly sure Gritomatic sell loose grit SiC powder in various grit sizes.

Mate, I get consistent edges because I cheat with a guided system. Ah, hahaha!

What I think you’ll find happens with higher carbide steels like S90V as in my Southfork (above) tend to glaze SiC, particularly at light pressure as required to finish an edge. Mainly because your not breaking away worn SiC to expose the sharp particles underneath.

Using a guided system with the stone facing down and plenty of Windex keeps the stone fairly clean for me and gives me great feedback as to what the stone is doing. I can both feel and hear how the stone is cutting and the feedback, again particularly with high carbide steels between a fresh lapped stone and one that’s grazing blunt is like night and day. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

PStone wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:03 pm
https://www.gritomatic.com/collections/ ... ide-powder

And Amazon sells it too
-Turbo
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Edge junkies, you are you are. 😁
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Funny. Never thought to try a bottom-of-the-harbor freight stone. I’m in that store all the time (master mechanic, if you couldn’t tell by the name)... I’ll pick at least 2 up VERY soon to try.

Thanks yet again for making me spend more money.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
vivi

Post by vivi »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:44 pm
Funny. Never thought to try a bottom-of-the-harbor freight stone. I’m in that store all the time (master mechanic, if you couldn’t tell by the name)... I’ll pick at least 2 up VERY soon to try.

Thanks yet again for making me spend more money.
I went there to grab some cheap survival stuff like their $10 wool blanket, some rope, drop cloths etc. Strolled down their sharpening aisle and saw this stone for $12. Went in with low expectations and was surprised to find it become a cornerstone of my sharpening setup. It's fun seeing the edges others are getting with them. Once you give it a shot let me know what you think!
Last edited by vivi on Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Even though about 6 months ago I got the DMT Diasharp Xtra coarse/coarse stone, I'm now tempted by this one as well. Going to be upset if it performs just as well as that stone for $40 less!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

I can't believe how much of my life I've wasted reprofiling everything by hand.

Powered sharpening is so fast and easy.

I was always scared to try it after being hammered over the head with horror stories for years about how easy it is to overheat the blade and ruin the temper, alter blade shapes, ruin tips etc.

It's so simple! Give it a lick on each side using a consistent angle, check your work, then repeat as needed.

Jobs that would take me 20 to 30 minutes, if not longer, are done in 3 minutes and my bevels are coming out cleaner.

I need to build a new light box for photographing edges, they're tricky. I took a short video to try to capture it better:

https://streamable.com/gxnuof

Slices right through ripe tomato, slices circles in printer paper and can scrape shave. Right off my 80 grit belt. Gonna give it 3-5 strokes per side with the medium rods to clean up the burr, then I'll bring it with me to my job and really put it to work.