Rock Jumper comparison thread + general info

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PStone

Re: Rock Jumper comparison thread + general info

Post by PStone »

grubetown wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:51 am
I am left handed and switched the clip over for left side carry. My artistic sense is urging me to switch the scale and pivot screws so that the show side has the buttons instead of the screw heads. Any reason I shouldn't do this? My plan would be to do one at a time so I don't run into any reassembly issues. TIA.
You might have an issue with the lockbar screw/post. Once that is removed, the lockbar will come out. Getting it all back in can be tricky. So up to you if you want to start with that one, or save it for last. Skip to 21:30 to see how to reinstall that lockbar easily.
https://youtu.be/MERI8A17jjM
grubetown

Post by grubetown »

PStone wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:34 am
grubetown wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:51 am
I am left handed and switched the clip over for left side carry. My artistic sense is urging me to switch the scale and pivot screws so that the show side has the buttons instead of the screw heads. Any reason I shouldn't do this? My plan would be to do one at a time so I don't run into any reassembly issues. TIA.
You might have an issue with the lockbar screw/post. Once that is removed, the lockbar will come out. Getting it all back in can be tricky. So up to you if you want to start with that one, or save it for last. Skip to 21:30 to see how to reinstall that lockbar easily.
https://youtu.be/MERI8A17jjM
Thank you!
grubetown

Post by grubetown »

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Concerning the only tiny critizism I could possibly have on the RockJumper after reading Davids posts (mentioned already by him and me):
There would fit more blade and by that cutting edge in the handle: Now, quoting directly from the newest Spyderco byte (September 2020):

"One of the primary design goals of the RockJumper was to pack as much cutting edge as possible into its pocket-friendly size, " https://mailchi.mp/spyderco/spyderco-by ... 25e010da72

Given that: Why not make the blade as long as possible, especially as it exceeds the in some places legal length of 3" anyway already?!

Again, just a very minor con in a generally great design and not a deal breaker of course.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
grubetown

Post by grubetown »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:20 pm
Concerning the only tiny critizism I could possibly have on the RockJumper after reading Davids posts (mentioned already by him and me):
There would fit more blade and by that cutting edge in the handle: Now, quoting directly from the newest Spyderco byte (September 2020):

"One of the primary design goals of the RockJumper was to pack as much cutting edge as possible into its pocket-friendly size, " https://mailchi.mp/spyderco/spyderco-by ... 25e010da72

Given that: Why not make the blade as long as possible, especially as it exceeds the in some places legal length of 3" anyway already?!

Again, just a very minor con in a generally great design and not a deal breaker of course.
I'm not a knife designer and maybe this is way off, but could the yet to be revealed leaf shape blade having anything to do with the design and therefore length of this blade?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:58 am
The upcoming leaf shaped blade option will likely fill that space in the handle that looks like wasted space currently.
Repeating myself... :o
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:13 pm
JRinFL wrote:
The upcoming leaf shaped blade option will likely fill that space in the handle that looks like wasted space currently.

I hear you! But still the wharnie blade could be made totally handlefilling already too, right? (And not only (and potentially) the leaf blade)

Anyway, not a big deal! :)
Just something not 100% consistent with the dedicated design goal "to pack as much cutting edge as possible into the handle". Still a perfect design for me.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:20 pm
JRinFL wrote:
JRinFL wrote:

I hear you! But still the wharnie blade could be made totally handlefilling already too, right? (And not only (and potentially) the leaf blade)

Just something not 100% consistent with the dedicated design goal "to pack as much cutting edge as possible into the handle". Still a perfect design for me.
Ah, I see what you saying now, Sorry. I'm sure Sal his reasons, but I do not know what they are. Maybe once I have it in hand it will be obvious?
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:24 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:20 pm
JRinFL wrote:
JRinFL wrote:

Ah, I see what you saying now, Sorry. I'm sure Sal his reasons, but I do not know what they are. Maybe once I have it in hand it will be obvious?

Yep,let's wait till we both have one in hand! Hopefully soon! :)
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I guess I couldn't care less about the .3" of blade that it would take fully fill out the handle. Seeing this one in the wild, I have to admit that my interest has been piqued again.

The one dimension I'm curious about, and one I haven't seen mentioned yet, is how wide is this thing when it's closed? Are we talking Manix or Delica width?
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

StuntZombie wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:31 pm
I guess I couldn't care less about the .3" of blade that it would take fully fill out the handle. Seeing this one in the wild, I have to admit that my interest has been piqued again.

The one dimension I'm curious about, and one I haven't seen mentioned yet, is how wide is this thing when it's closed? Are we talking Manix or Delica width?
Good question. Looks like it will be close to the Manix in that dimension. Maybe @EvilD can take a picture of both closed?
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

StuntZombie wrote:

I didn't measure but holding it up next to my Stretch it's the exact same width. I'd say since the blade stock is 0.5mm thicker than a Delica it'll come in at 0.5mm thicker than a Delica. The scales and liners don't look any thicker to me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
grubetown

Post by grubetown »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:40 pm
StuntZombie wrote:

I didn't measure but holding it up next to my Stretch it's the exact same width. I'd say since the blade stock is 0.5mm thicker than a Delica it'll come in at 0.5mm thicker than a Delica. The scales and liners don't look any thicker to me.
I think he probably is looking for the height when closed from the spine of the blade to the back of the scale.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:40 pm
StuntZombie wrote:

I think what he meant was the height of the closed knives.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah I completely missed the "while closed" part. The RJ is no doubt wider, it's pretty much exactly as wide as a Caribbean at the top of the thumb ramp/widest point.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Got it. I kind of figured as much just going by the pics. I might have to wait until I get the chance to handle one. I like the design, but I'm not a big fan of the models that are pocket hogs.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:15 pm
Yeah I completely missed the "while closed" part. The RJ is no doubt wider, it's pretty much exactly as wide as a Caribbean at the top of the thumb ramp/widest point.
Thank you.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
grubetown

Post by grubetown »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:06 am
Evil D wrote:
Thank you.

I can't figure out how to get a good picture so I will try my best to compare PM2/RJ closed. They are very similar.
  • RJ is 10mm shorter lengthwise when closed
    The spines of the blades when closed line up almost exactly at the Spyderhole. However, the RJ has the hump vs the PM2 straight spine.
    On the RJ scales the two ramps on either stick out more aggressively. These aren't noticeable in the pocket
I would say in between PM2 and Manix on the pocket hog scale.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

grubetown wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:36 am
JRinFL wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:06 am
Evil D wrote:
Thank you.

I can't figure out how to get a good picture so I will try my best to compare PM2/RJ closed. They are very similar.
  • RJ is 10mm shorter lengthwise when closed
    The spines of the blades when closed line up almost exactly at the Spyderhole. However, the RJ has the hump vs the PM2 straight spine.
    On the RJ scales the two ramps on either stick out more aggressively. These aren't noticeable in the pocket
I would say in between PM2 and Manix on the pocket hog scale.
More good info, thanks. I also like the PHS, pocket hog scale!
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

I've carried mine for a few days so I'll add:
I'm unconcerned if they could fit more blade in the handle. I find that on some knives, clothing or anything else can snag the tip of a blade that isn't recessed deeply enough into the handle. Being an adventurers knife, you would not want to be snagging anything on a closed knife.

It's not as pocket-hoggy as it looks. Since the blade spine tracks the pocket seam and the handle is smooth where your hands makes contact in the pocket, it doesn't feel large.

I know the backlock is something Sal is playing with as a design element. I've tried to read and understand all of the concerns the Sal has and how he's addressing them. It is really tedious that so much is going on around the pivot/ricasso that effects the overall blade length. As a note, I also have the Siren. I can use the RJ without hitting the lockbar. On the Siren, every time I grip it, I depress the lockbar slightly enough to feel the blade rattle. The Seki backlock is not as nice (allows a little bit of up/down movement when locked) as the Golden made Siren. Still not my favorite lock style, but I'm giving backlocks a chance again.

Serrations are amazing. My first Spydercos were rescue blades in the 90's. The difference between serrations and a straight edge on something like a zip-tie is night and day. Serrations need almost no pressure, they just grab and pop.

Overall ergos feel great. There is a lot of cutting force concentrated on the tip. It feels light, slightly handle heavy, but also really solid.

So far, it feels like a really solid first iteration. I would not be surprised to see some slight CQI's in a future version, but I think the overall feel and utility is going to be appreciated by most users.