Rock Jumper comparison thread + general info

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: Rock Jumper comparison thread + general info

Post by JRinFL »

The upcoming leaf shaped blade option will likely fill that space in the handle that looks like wasted space currently.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
James Y

Post by James Y »

I don’t have much to add here, except that this is an awesome thread for anyone even potentially interested in this model.

Thanks.

Jim
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Oh man, this thread is really tempting me. I try not to buy knives because I don't use them all that often, so I don't like the idea of buying something that just sits around unused (I've got a couple in mind that are "must" buys). But the RJ is checking a lot of boxes for me. First of all, that handle looks really comfy. That's a bummer about the plastic nubs. The P4LW has a steel pin in place of the nubs, which makes it a little easier to put back together.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Rock Jumper looks great! Add another model to my want list :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

@david, @grubetown,

Thank you for the replies - much appreciated. :)
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Video from GPK - https://youtu.be/1XX94qRR2BM
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If they can manage to make an Endura sized version of this and squeeze in more edge length than the Endura I'm gonna be ALL OVER it. I was also wondering how the leaf blade version will be, and I have to say I would be ok with the Delica blade shape too (straight spine, shallow belly).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Can't wait for the RJ to drop in Europe...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx David, Grubetown,

Great pics, appreciate. As David mentioned, I'll take all of the input I can get.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:36 am
If they can manage to make an Endura sized version of this and squeeze in more edge length than the Endura I'm gonna be ALL OVER it. I was also wondering how the leaf blade version will be, and I have to say I would be ok with the Delica blade shape too (straight spine, shallow belly).
If they scale it up a bit it will be a day one purchase for me.

I really like the direction Sal has been going with the Police, Endela and Rockjumper handles. It feels like we're working our way towards a new era of ergonomics.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:01 am
Video from GPK - https://youtu.be/1XX94qRR2BM

Thanks for posting the vid! :)

I can really recommend watching it to anyone who is interested in comparisons of Rock Jumper to other models.
There are very good ones to Delica, Stretch, Endela, Endura and BM Bugout, for handle area, blade-, and edge length
A lot more detailled than the other GPK vids I personally have seen so far (not too many though tbh)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Thanks for all the comparison pics, guys. I will admit, I was originally lukewarm to the RockJumper when it was first revealed as I already had a Delica 4 Wharncliffe & Yojimbo 2.

But seeing those pics, I see that the RockJumper's handle is quite similar in shape to that of the Li'l Temperance 3's, which has my favourite handle shape of any Spyderco folder as far as general, functional fit. This could very well become my "standard" work knife (a spot currently shared by the Yojimbo 2, the Delica 4 Wharncliffe, & the Li'l Temperance 3).

Definitely picking one up as soon as it becomes available in Canada.
TJB

Post by TJB »

zuludelta wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:44 pm
Thanks for all the comparison pics, guys. I will admit, I was originally lukewarm to the RockJumper when it was first revealed as I already had a Delica 4 Wharncliffe & Yojimbo 2.

But seeing those pics, I see that the RockJumper's handle is quite similar in shape to that of the Li'l Temperance 3's, which has my favourite handle shape of any Spyderco folder as far as general, functional fit. This could very well become my "standard" work knife (a spot currently shared by the Yojimbo 2, the Delica 4 Wharncliffe, & the Li'l Temperance 3).

Definitely picking one up as soon as it becomes available in Canada.
I agree with you 100% it was meh to me for the first while but the more i look at it the more it grew on me and now seeing it in the wild solidified it as a must have as soon as warriors and wonders or S&R get some.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi TJB,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I wanted a backlock polestar years ago. The handle design reminded me so much of that model I was on board the moment I saw the rockjumper. However when I heard the leaf jumper was down the road I was stoked. Leaf shape fits my needs better.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I bought the Delica SE Wharnie early in the summer to satisfy my SE and Wharnie itch all in one package, especially for the crazy price of like $58. I had initially been looking forward to this Rockjumper.

After all these pics and comments, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting one of these too. I like the Delica handle, but this, it just seems so much more filling in the hand.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Great pics, thank you!
TooSharp

Post by TooSharp »

I insert the lockbar and lockbar pivot in last when reassembling. Only way to keep from mangling that little plastic pin. Nice review. Thanks for the effort and pics!

-Wes
grubetown

Post by grubetown »

I am left handed and switched the clip over for left side carry. My artistic sense is urging me to switch the scale and pivot screws so that the show side has the buttons instead of the screw heads. Any reason I shouldn't do this? My plan would be to do one at a time so I don't run into any reassembly issues. TIA.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

grubetown wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:51 am
I am left handed and switched the clip over for left side carry. My artistic sense is urging me to switch the scale and pivot screws so that the show side has the buttons instead of the screw heads. Any reason I shouldn't do this? My plan would be to do one at a time so I don't run into any reassembly issues. TIA.

As long as the shape and depth of the holes in both scales is the same it should work. Like you said if you do them one at a time you should avoid any issues. You'll know on the first one whether it will work or not.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David