Vanax PM2 Lets Do This!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dj moonbat

Re: Vanax PM2 Lets Do This!!!

Post by dj moonbat »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:06 pm
JasonBeatty wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:49 pm
Thank you for the welcome, Sal, I’m glad to be here.

Putting aside Josh, IG, and all the discord, I remain convinced that Vanax + Spyderco would be a big hit. It’s a purpose driven steel with excellent performance, and something that I have always loved about my Spyderco collection is the variety of amazing steels that are used. I see this as one more in the stable. I like it as an option for the PM2 because there have already been so many varieties, it’s fun to have another.

Or, you know, have some real variety in life and do it in something cool and new and completely different like a Police LW Salt. A Vanax "Beach Police"! :D
I concur! I’d love a Vanax knife, and a PM2 would be okay. But it’s not the best knife for the steel, nor vice versa.

You’d want it either in an unlined knife, or a knife with Titanium liners. And non-corroding hardware.
Micdanson88

Post by Micdanson88 »

This definitely needs to happen! If not the PM2 then SOMETHING in vanax. It's too good not to use. I would concur with some others also and would like to see Lc200N variants of the PM2/para as well.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

A Vanax Spydiechef would be interesting, and would give some people a chance to compare LC200N to Vanax, in a model that never gets other steels, unlike the Seki and Golden knives. It might be too expensive to bring to market, but I would be interested for sure.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:41 pm
We would want to make a Mule Team to test reaction, manufacturing, etc. If we do, we would try to make a larger number so anyone that wants one can get one. If it goes to a production piece, it would most likely not be a sprint, but a regular item. I can't promise it would be a PM2.

sal
For production, a small frn knife to keep end user cost down would be ideal for me. A Dragonfly or a ladybug (maybe even a wharnliffe manbug). I dont think I'd want to spend much more than that for a steel with those properties considering we already have h-1 lc200n s110v and vg-10 in the regular line up.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Micdanson,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
MaxFactor

Post by MaxFactor »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:51 am

So first I'd like to welcome:

Dyrestraiz, Baconswagfl, Chrisoclm, Jddelval, JasonBeatty, Timechaser, Mikid and Maxfactor.

Thanx for joining and for sharing your thoughts. I hope you enjoy your time here.

sal
Appreciate the welcome but while I may not have many posts I've been lurking on this forum since 2013, watching for new product releases, intel, and such.
JRinFL wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:36 am
Combine that with the bad idea of $400+ folding knife that is supposed to be used as a dive knife? Ha.
No one requested a folding dive knife. It takes a few moments of critical thinking to realize that concept wouldn't play out well. Have you ever worked in the Sun in Guam in September? Your pocket ends up being just as wet and salty as the ocean; if not more so. Perfect use case for this concept.
VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:28 am

Are we sure a lot of the new members who joined because of this thread arent the OP? If someone is going to spam a forum thats a good way to do it. I will assume this is not the case.
He has over 12,000 followers on IG. I don't think it's a stretch that some of us are just as enthusiastic about the TiVan PM2 concept.
JasonBeatty

Post by JasonBeatty »

steelcity16 wrote:
JasonBeatty wrote:

Putting aside Josh, IG, and all the discord, I remain convinced that Vanax + Spyderco would be a big hit. It’s a purpose driven steel with excellent performance, and something that I have always loved about my Spyderco collection is the variety of amazing steels that are used. I see this as one more in the stable. I like it as an option for the PM2 because there have already been so many varieties, it’s fun to have another.

Or, you know, have some real variety in life and do it in something cool and new and completely different like a Police LW Salt. A Vanax "Beach Police"! :D
I like the idea of a Baywatch Police knife, that’s awesome.
SuperSteelAddict

Post by SuperSteelAddict »

Is this really happening?
I need this!
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Yup. I’d say OP sent his disciples over here.
Last edited by prndltech on Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

JasonBeatty wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:33 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
JasonBeatty wrote:

I like the idea of a Baywatch Police knife, that’s awesome.
In that case, some red scales would be cool...
edcfirefighter

Post by edcfirefighter »

I am a profession firefighter paramedic and when on duty I always carry a PM2. For me its the best there is. That knife is in my pocket on every single call. I work for the largest county in the US and the land is very diverse. I work in the mountains one day, the desert the next, and the city the day after that. The knife sees blood, snow, rain, sweat, lake water, river water, and gutter water. I have it on medicals aids, structure or vegetation fires, HAZMATs, and rescues. Although my DLC 10v is a champ, I would love a Vanax version.

I think what pm2og is trying to convey is Vanax seems to be the best corrosion resistant + edge retention steel so far. If it were used in say a PM2 you could have one knife to use for work, fishing, camping, meal prep, beach day, whatever. Not the best at anything, but a jack of all trades. A straight blade is sweet but in many places and jobs you cannot just carry around a fixed blade. I know I can't.

I don't know all the details to make this "Apocalypse Ready PM2" but I'll be the first in line to buy one.
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

Vanax Pm2 would be cool, but Vanax siren would be cooler :cool:

I’m just loving my siren so much, and need an excuse for a second one. Vanax would be perfect.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Firefighter,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for your service.

Hi SuperSteelAddict,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

MaxFactor wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:06 pm
He has over 12,000 followers on IG. I don't think it's a stretch that some of us are just as enthusiastic about the TiVan PM2 concept.
Big deal! What has this guy contributed to the knife community besides some dumb memes?

TiVan PM2 concept? You make it sound like this is the first time someone's asked for a Ti PM2. Cute name for the knife BTW
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Lumpy wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:53 pm
+1
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
pm2og

Post by pm2og »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:41 pm
Hi Ifuxwrox, Monofletch, xJakeHerbertx, Pancho and BWeiss,

Welcome to our forum.

Hey Brandon, Thanx for your comments on the OP.

We would want to make a Mule Team to test reaction, manufacturing, etc. If we do, we would try to make a larger number so anyone that wants one can get one. If it goes to a production piece, it would most likely not be a sprint, but a regular item. I can't promise it would be a PM2.

sal
Part of the reason I started this push is that no one has made an American made Vanax folder. Russian and Chinese companies have done it. Chinas run $300 and Russian ones are no longer made and cost about $1100. I am very pro made in USA and would love it to be a Golden model. I really hope that can happen. Thank you again Sal for being connected here. -Josh PM2OG
pm2og

Post by pm2og »

Lumpy wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:53 pm

I’m just loving my siren so much, and need an excuse for a second one. Vanax would be perfect.
A vanax siren is something I could compromise to. It makes sense and would cost very little to make work. Im hoping they dont spend to long on a mule. It is made in Taiwan and the process would make it years to get to an american made folder. Ill keep my fingers crossed. All you have to do is look up all the testing thats been done on Shannon Steel Labs knives with myself or much more famous guys like CedricandAda on youtube.
RandomNick

Post by RandomNick »

Perhaps the Pochi should be the test platform for this steel. It already has titanium scales, and that little blade doesn't need much steel.

:D
Notchlubber

Post by Notchlubber »

Dyrestraiz wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:21 pm
Ooh, that's a good one! Haven't handled a Kapara, but from what I've heard, it's A+++. So who knows?
It's excellent! It would be so awesome to make it completely stainless. Do what you need to do, rinse it off with water, and forget it!
Jddelval wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:34 pm
Notchlubber wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:15 pm
I would really love a knife like this. A totally stainless knife with good edge retention and toughness in the form of a PM2 would be heavenly! I know the price would be relatively high, but I would pay it.

Sal, while we're on the subject of stainless... What are the odds the Kapara could get a blade and liners made of LC200N with titanium hardware? Like a meld of the Caribbean and Spydiechef, but more classy? The knife begs for food prep!
I love the Kapara. One of my dreams (one of many) would be a Kapara in S90V.
S90V would be great as well! I'd like LC200N liners with a blade of Vanax even more, though...

I know this post is for the PM2 but I got excited about the thought of a fully stainless Kapara with awesome edge retention and toughness 🤤
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

edcfirefighter wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:31 pm
I am a profession firefighter paramedic and when on duty I always carry a PM2. For me its the best there is. That knife is in my pocket on every single call. I work for the largest county in the US and the land is very diverse. I work in the mountains one day, the desert the next, and the city the day after that. The knife sees blood, snow, rain, sweat, lake water, river water, and gutter water. I have it on medicals aids, structure or vegetation fires, HAZMATs, and rescues. Although my DLC 10v is a champ, I would love a Vanax version.

I think what pm2og is trying to convey is Vanax seems to be the best corrosion resistant + edge retention steel so far. If it were used in say a PM2 you could have one knife to use for work, fishing, camping, meal prep, beach day, whatever. Not the best at anything, but a jack of all trades. A straight blade is sweet but in many places and jobs you cannot just carry around a fixed blade. I know I can't.

I don't know all the details to make this "Apocalypse Ready PM2" but I'll be the first in line to buy one.

What don't you like about the Military for your line of work? I think that would be my choice if I was in your boots. The liner lock is much easier to operate in gloves and the extra blade and handle length would be useful in many situations. I'd much rather see a G10 Military Salt than any form of a PM2 Salt. The Military is my favorite Golden model these days and the PM2 I really only own because I couldn't not get one in Purple DLC Cruwear. :D I carry and use it but I just can never warm up to the comp lock. The Straight Spine Stretch (in my pocket today) is a much better "PM2" with the nice grippy FRN and strong and safe backlock. When the 4" Straight Spine Stretch XL comes out, that will be one heck of a great work knife. Now if they did a Vanax Salt version of that...
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red