What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by JuPaul »

Albatross wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:00 am
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:06 am
Albatross wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:41 am
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:55 am
Carrying the rex45 Manix today, plus a pretty sweet mail call yesterday.
Your picture makes that Native look tolerable. It's always difficult to gauge how certain colors will look, because stock photos can be misleading sometimes.

Is this your first S90V knife?
It's really more like a light blue color. And easily dyed darker.

I also have the s90v Manix lw that Cutlery Shoppe did, which I carried quite a bit this summer. So far I'm pleasantly surprised...it stays sharp forever, and I was worried it'd be chippy but I haven't had any problems. I've only done a very quick touch up on that one, though. My feelings could change!

Edit to clarify: So I've got a RIT dye color called aquamarine. This is somewhere btw a light aquamarine and a light turquoise.
Thanks for the info on the shade of blue, it definitely helps to have something to compare to.

S90V is great, it's my favorite stainless steel, by far. As prndltech suggested, you might want to sharpen/reprofile before use. I’ve refrained from sharpening new knives lately (against the cries of my ocd), and one of the things I've discovered, is that S90V will chip quite easily on the factory edge. I sharpened my S90V Manix yesterday, and had to remove 3 small chips.
Thanks, guys. I'll definitely give them both a full sharpening soon. It's on my to do list.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
vivi

Post by vivi »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:32 am
Man, this tiny thing is growing on me

If this, by some weird coincident, had been my first folder, my dive into the folder rabbit hole could have ended right there.
It does my everyday office type cutting so amazingly well, while still being unnoticeable in the pocket.

Took me far too long to notice this gem sitting right in front of me all this time, and same goes for the Spyder-edge. The way those serrations bite into the material makes opening boxes ridiculously easy and even way safer than most PE knives.

It's here to stay.
Same epiphany I went through with serrated edges.

It's why I've been chasing the low grit dragon on my PE knives. I've been trying to give them edges that grab materials more like a SE knife than polished PE knives do.

It's a process that has made me appreciate my plain edged knives moreafter falling in love with SE over the last few years.
:unicorn
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:59 am

Thanks, guys. I'll definitely give them both a full sharpening soon. It's on my to do list.
Also, like s30v, with s90v I come straight off the course diamonds/CBN and maybe use 3-5 VERY LIGHT passes per side on a medium grit stone to debur and enjoy a very aggressive toothy edge. Just my style, it’s fast, easy and I love the results.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Baconswagfl

Post by Baconswagfl »

I have my trusty ole Rex45 Para3 today... love this thing!
Attachments
20200929_131945.jpg
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

prndltech wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:03 am
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:59 am

Also, like s30v, with s90v I come straight off the course diamonds/CBN and maybe use 3-5 VERY LIGHT passes per side on a medium grit stone to debur and enjoy a very aggressive toothy edge. Just my style, it’s fast, easy and I love the results.

Good to know. I honestly haven't experimented much with toothy edges yet. Random question: what's the grit equivalent of the sharpmaker diamond course stone?
- Julia

legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:43 am
Good to know. I honestly haven't experimented much with toothy edges yet. Random question: what's the grit equivalent of the sharpmaker diamond course stone?
I recall seeing them as 40 micron or around 443 grit....
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

3AF6A99F-64AF-4AF2-AC12-507903514688.jpeg
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:53 am
JuPaul wrote:
Honestly not sure... but I would think that’s about right... 4-500, leaning closer towards 400 if I had to guess. I use an Atoma 400 grit and just started experimenting with the sharpmaker diamond/CBN rods (don’t remember which ones I ordered) and so far I like the a lot. Definitely should have gotten them years ago.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

prndltech wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:20 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
Honestly not sure... but I would think that’s about right... 4-500, leaning closer towards 400 if I had to guess. I use an Atoma 400 grit and just started experimenting with the sharpmaker diamond/CBN rods (don’t remember which ones I ordered) and so far I like the a lot. Definitely should have gotten them years ago.
I have both and can't tell them apart now that they're "broke-in".
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

legOFwhat? wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
Thanks!
- Julia

vivi

Post by vivi »

I sharpened this September 8th and have been carrying it pretty much non-stop aside from work, where I need to carry a Salt. It still shaves.

Here's my post from the community sharpening journal about the edge I gave it:
vivi wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:58 pm
With the weather cooling off I wanted my Police 4 K390 ready to go. The edge it had was pretty bad, it had been used until it was really dull.

I reset the edge on a 300 grit diamond plate. Once I had a burr coming up on either side, I switched to a lighter pressure and deburred as best I could on that stone. It could scrape shave. Then I gave each side a few passes on a strop loaded with 7 micron diamond paste.

It's a very aggressive edge. I tested it out on some rope and plastic wrap and it really bites into materials.

This will contrast nicely with my polished VG10 Police 3 optimized for push cutting. My VG10 Police 4 Lightweight is ground on a DMT coarse then given a microbevel on medium spyderco stones, so it falls it the middle.
I've since put the same edge on my VG10 Police 4 Lightweight. I think next time my Siren needs sharpened I'm going to try a similar edge on that knife. I've always finished my LC200N knives on the medium rods, haven't tried giving it a really coarse edge.

I highly suggest playing around with these sorts of edges.

For some reason I seem to get cleaner, coarse edges on the 300 grit side of my harbor freight 4 sided diamond block than I do my broken in diamond sharpmaker rods. I haven't had good luck getting shaving sharpness off those. But they do leave a nice, aggressive edge that slices and slices.
:unicorn
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

FullFlatMind wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:37 pm
Love those scales.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:43 am
aicolainen wrote:

If this, by some weird coincident, had been my first folder, my dive into the folder rabbit hole could have ended right there.
It does my everyday office type cutting so amazingly well, while still being unnoticeable in the pocket.

Took me far too long to notice this gem sitting right in front of me all this time, and same goes for the Spyder-edge. The way those serrations bite into the material makes opening boxes ridiculously easy and even way safer than most PE knives.

It's here to stay.

Absolutely love small matching lanyards like that. Beautiful piece!
Thanks! I’m not really into lanyards and beads, but when I saw ZeroFeud drop these brick heads, I knew it would be a perfect match. The actual lanyard is just some excess reflective tent line I had laying around.
So, this was actually my first knife ever to get a lanyard, but it was begging for one :)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

vivi wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:02 am
aicolainen wrote:

It's here to stay.
Same epiphany I went through with serrated edges.

It's why I've been chasing the low grit dragon on my PE knives. I've been trying to give them edges that grab materials more like a SE knife than polished PE knives do.

It's a process that has made me appreciate my plain edged knives moreafter falling in love with SE over the last few years.
That’s a really interesting idea. Now that you mention it, I have actually noticed that with my own PE knives, but never thought about doing it deliberately. Thanks for taking the time to give useful advice!
PStone

Post by PStone »

aicolainen wrote:

I gotta ask, where did you get that lanyard bead? I really really dig that.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

PStone wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:33 pm
aicolainen wrote:

I gotta ask, where did you get that lanyard bead? I really really dig that.
https://zerofeud.myshopify.com/

As far as I understand, they drop with some irregularity, and often with a new twist each time.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

-Turbo
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

bbturbodad wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:25 pm
Makes me want a Watu every time...
- Julia