Vanax PM2 Lets Do This!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SC_PATRIOT

Re: Vanax PM2 Lets Do This!!!

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

Yup!
Tiquito

Post by Tiquito »

The particular combination proffered doesn’t appeal to me at all, and I buy a lot of PM2s and other spydercos.

At some point a vanax spyderco could be cool. Not sure a PM2 is where I’d like to see it though. I buy knives to use not post pics of online or keep in a pelican case. I’m not knocking folks who do that. People should enjoy their knives in whatever way they like. The point is I want steels and configurations that matchup with how how I want to use them. Also using knives has helped me to realize that while I like premium materials and would just as soon have something “better” as not, in folding knives carried around town, cool on paper is not the same as any real world advantage. When one starts adding big price increases to get it that can be a bit silly. If one wants Gucci for the sake of having Gucci cool, but that’s not my thing when it comes to knives. Glad to hear this isn’t in the works and spyderco’s efforts will be spent on some some of the rumored or confirmed projects that do interest me.
pm2og

Post by pm2og »

Tiquito wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:57 pm
The particular combination proffered doesn’t appeal to me at all, and I buy a lot of PM2s and other spydercos.

At some point a vanax spyderco could be cool. Not sure a PM2 is where I’d like to see it though. I buy knives to use not post pics of online or keep in a pelican case. I’m not knocking folks who do that. People should enjoy their knives in whatever way they like. The point is I want steels and configurations that matchup with how how I want to use them. Also using knives has helped me to realize that while I like premium materials and would just as soon have something “better” as not, in folding knives carried around town, cool on paper is not the same as any real world advantage. When one starts adding big price increases to get it that can be a bit silly. If one wants Gucci for the sake of having Gucci cool, but that’s not my thing when it comes to knives. Glad to hear this isn’t in the works and spyderco’s efforts will be spent on some some of the rumored or confirmed projects that do interest me.
I think the fun for me is learning what constitutes the best in class for a given task or purpose. Then Pursue that. Vanax is especially good in a stainless situation where you need more edge retention than other nitrogen options. I can get a fixed blade but want it in a folder. No one in the USA has made one here and that’s important to me. This is how I enjoy knives. It’s the ultimate stainless folder.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

folks, please, I hope we can focus on the discussion at hand and not resort to name calling anyone. Although I severely despise selling secondhand knives at a markup all because it was an exclusive and won't be made anymore.

Back on topic, I think most of the people's points here boils down to how expensive would it be for Spyderco to make Vanax in a production or sprint/exclusive as well as Sal having said at some point in time in these forums the unpracticality of such a venture.

pm2og wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:56 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:43 pm
From what I can surmise, a few people willing to pay $300+ for a knife does not outweigh the production, shipping, and marketing costs of Spyderco. Even for a sprint run or dealer exclusive. In fact if we're talking about sprint, flash, or dealer, it might even be less profitable for Spyderco since these batches usually are in the 1000-2000 range.
You’re underestimating the interest. They could easily do 1000. They did a very expensive 154/s90v Pm2 at 300 pieces. Vanax costs a lot up front. They would be easier than Maxamet to make

For what it's worth, that was a long time ago and labor/production costs might have been lower at that time. I would be interested to hear Sal's reflections on the matter.

And again, social media engagement does not always equate actual interest. In the end, what determines that is how many Spyderco sells in a given time.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
remnar

Post by remnar »

pm2og wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:47 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:23 pm
I've seen far too much disrespect from you on Instagram towards Spyderco.

Hopefully your contributions here on the forum will be different.
Disrespect is relative. I have literally sold thousands of knives for spyderco by testing and promotion. I have much respect. Im also very deliberate and honest in the way i talk and interact. I have hate thrown at me every day. I deal. Its the way of communication in the new age. The older people get the less they understand it. Its evolution of communication.
I don't know anything about your instagram account or what you've done in the past but if you think throwing hate is "the way of communication in the new age", then it says a lot about you. But I am kinda old, so maybe I just don't understand. :rolleyes: A friendly word of advice: That B.S. don't fly here. Hopefully your communication will "devolve" back to a respectful state so that you can stick around and contribute to a great forum. :spyder:
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Tiquito wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:57 pm

Ditto! Again, I'd love Vanax, maybe just not in a PM2 but in an entirely new design. I have several PM2/PM3s and I love them, but then I've just realized how FOMO-driven the market for that knife is especially in the age of social media. Rings true when you miss a drop of a knife you actually like and would love to use, only to find out prices on the secondary market go up $300 for a knife that was below $180 when released.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
pm2og

Post by pm2og »

remnar wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:07 pm
pm2og wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:47 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:23 pm
I've seen far too much disrespect from you on Instagram towards Spyderco.

Hopefully your contributions here on the forum will be different.
Disrespect is relative. I have literally sold thousands of knives for spyderco by testing and promotion. I have much respect. Im also very deliberate and honest in the way i talk and interact. I have hate thrown at me every day. I deal. Its the way of communication in the new age. The older people get the less they understand it. Its evolution of communication.
I don't know anything about your instagram account or what you've done in the past but if you think throwing hate is "the way of communication in the new age", then it says a lot about you. But I am kinda old, so maybe I just don't understand. :rolleyes: A friendly word of advice: That B.S. don't fly here. Hopefully your communication will "devolve" back to a respectful state so that you can stick around and contribute to a great forum. :spyder:
Ya that wasn’t well written. I didn’t mean hate is the new way of communication. I will try to write better. I’m old too. I work to keep up with trends in communication. It’s an interest. I’m sorry your eyes rolled. Hope they’re ok. So far it’s just been others that have devolved the conversation instead of discussing the matter at hand.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

This isn't the first time Vanax has been discussed here. I have to admit after reading this thread a couple years ago it piqued my curiosity enough that I'd be very interested in trying the steel in the right platform....

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77127&hilit=Vanax&start=140

Not one bit interested in a Vanax/Ti PM2 though. I already have several and I rarely carry them anymore. If we're going to go big it's about time that Spyderco did a collaboration with Chad Kelly (Xplorer). A fixed blade is probably more realistic but I'd love to see a folder. That little back lock that Chad did looked sweet. If we'd prefer to keep the price a little more reasonable just do a Vanax version in Lance's Siren and watch 'em fly off the shelves. It would even be made in Golden, CO
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
rivy

Post by rivy »

I'm in for a Vanax PM2, I know the suggested specs would make it easily cost $300+, but I'm sure many of us have spent that either via the secondary market or via mods (clips, hardware, scales, etc.) for our PM2.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

This was surprisingly negative. OK, so maybe Josh could have gotten his message across more effectively by choosing a slightly more humble entrance, but really, I just see a guy who is a very devoted enthusiast. We are all different in the way we use our knives and how we share our passion for them. I for one appreciate diversity, it can be provocative at times, but that's how we learn and widen our own perspective of the world.

It's also a bit surprising to read the negative reactions to the suggested idea. I think it has more to do with the person presenting it, rather than the idea itself. Introducing Vanax in a new design doesn't necessarily sound like a good idea. It could be, but it's very dependent on the design. People "know" Vanax and they surely know the PM2, which would give those interested a better idea of what their getting into. Spending a lot of money on something, which would likely be the case on something like this, it would be reassuring if the end result is somewhat predictable. Seriously, a substantial part of the threads on this forum is about exactly that; minor changes that people want to see implemented on their favorite knife designs, be it different steels, blade shapes, grinds, handle materials, colors and so on.

Like some has already mentioned, this is what Spyderco does best. If they do it or not, is ultimately up to them, and I personally would respect their decision either way. Even companies have to follow their passion to excel at what their doing, and just as life in general, saying no sometimes, to make room for your own (great) ideas is often the hardest part.

Welcome to the forum, Josh
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i would like to try vanax and even in a pm2, but not with titanium.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
mikld

Post by mikld »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:43 am
I’m in for that, I also like the mule team concept, and would be a willing vanax tester! :)
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Hey man welcome to the forum, I like your memes on your IG page lol. Anyway, you seem to have the funds, why not get a custom blade in Vanax that will be superior in performance to anything Spyderco will have to pull off for general users, geometry wise? There are a couple custom makers using it, BBB comes to mind.
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
I enjoy the exploratory questions on the Vanax steel despite production costs but I am still confused on a "dive" knife made of titanium scales. Lock designs aside, can some of the coastal and underwater users educate me on the benefits titanium scales other than water swelling?
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Oloung1 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:43 am
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
I enjoy the exploratory questions on the Vanax steel despite production costs but I am still confused on a "dive" knife made of titanium scales. Lock designs aside, can some of the coastal and underwater users educate me on the benefits titanium scales other than water swelling?
I'm not the expert you're looking for, but here is my take on titanium.
It's a fantastic material for many things, but IMHO it's boring as hell used as handle scale material.
Now, as they say in my line of work; boring is good. At least it can be, and the thing I find advantageous with titanium in folders like the Spydiechef is the incredibly simple construction. Inherently corrosion resistant and no liners / sandwiched materials for blood, gunk and water to get caught between. Maybe a RIL based design would have been more true to the simplicity concept, but then again, there is no shortage on RIL titanium folders in the world.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:01 am
I'm not the expert you're looking for, but here is my take on titanium.
It's a fantastic material for many things, but IMHO it's boring as hell used as handle scale material.
Now, as they say in my line of work; boring is good. At least it can be, and the thing I find advantageous with titanium in folders like the Spydiechef is the incredibly simple construction. Inherently corrosion resistant and no liners / sandwiched materials for blood, gunk and water to get caught between. Maybe a RIL based design would have been more true to the simplicity concept, but then again, there is no shortage on RIL titanium folders in the world.
That's exactly why I want a Sage 2 with an LC200N blade. I really want one with a Vanax blade, but I've asked here and Sal says it would be too expensive to do Vanax at current prices. I really want a Sage 2 / Sage 5 hybrid with an integral comp lock like the original A.T.R. folder had, and a Vanax blade, but that would be absurdly expensive.
pm2og

Post by pm2og »

emanuel wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:51 am
Hey man welcome to the forum, I like your memes on your IG page lol. Anyway, you seem to have the funds, why not get a custom blade in Vanax that will be superior in performance to anything Spyderco will have to pull off for general users, geometry wise? There are a couple custom makers using it, BBB comes to mind.
🙏🏼 Thank you. I’ve had several Vanax blades. It’s how I know it’s really great. No one has done an American made folder. I’d love spyderco to be the company that finally does.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Oloung1 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:43 am
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:

I freedive/snorkel during my free time (living in a tropical country, though too busy nowadays), and diving knives are useful for a lot of things, like in our case, they are useful in freeing marine wildlife from fishing lines and castaway nets. Sometimes they are used also for picking and hunting down CoTs (crown of thorns starfish), a very deadly coral eating starfish that reproduces quickly and can destroy a reef in a short time. I haven't used my Spydiechef for these tasks mainly because the untextured titanium poses a risk in losing the knife while down deep - aside from the fact then when I got mine, I had no time anymore for freediving/snorkeling. If we are talking folding diving knives, FRN is a much cheaper and better option, and the Salt series of knives are the best for these applications.

Although based on experience, the best knife for underwater in my limited experience are fixed blades.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

pm2og wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:03 pm

I think the fun for me is learning what constitutes the best in class for a given task or purpose. Then Pursue that. Vanax is especially good in a stainless situation where you need more edge retention than other nitrogen options. I can get a fixed blade but want it in a folder. No one in the USA has made one here and that’s important to me. This is how I enjoy knives. It’s the ultimate stainless folder.

Just curious what your specific use case is that requires a 100% rust-proof folding knife than cannot be a fixed blade and you would not be able to take a few swipes on a sharpmaker whenever the edge starts degrading??

You have been asking for this for two years. It must be an interesting job you have or hobby you have that requires this very specific combination of attributes that could not be achieved with a sharpmaker and something like a Native Salt, S110V PM2, Waterway, Siren, Carribean, SE H1 Pacific Salt, or the upcoming LC200N Pacific Salts.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I don't know the OP, nor do I waste anytime on social media, so for me it is not hating the message because of the messenger.
I am not a big fan of the PM2, I have a few and rarely use them. I am not a fan of brutally expensive steels that will be used for IG bragging rights and pocket jewelry. Sal has already stated that the cost of Vanax is 4 times that of S90V and that makes it a non-starter right out of the box. Combine that with the bad idea of $400+ folding knife that is supposed to be used as a dive knife? Ha.

Please let this drop. Go find a custom maker and have them make the knife of your dreams. Seems there are a handful of others that could order the custom at the same time.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001