A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aicolainen

Re: A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Post by aicolainen »

I've shy'ed away from clipless knives since my knife interest started to pick up speed about 4 years ago.
Recently I all of a sudden saw the potential in the Manbug Salt after reading a lot of interesting threads about spyderedged knives on this forum, and decided to give it a try despite not having a clip.

Now, I'm not making a case against the clip, it would sure be nice to have that option, but carrying that knife in my 5th jeans pocket has been extremely pleasant. I mean, I've seen a fair share of reviewers call most any smallish knife an "ideal" 5th pocket knife, but that's not true. The Manbug is an ideal 5th pocket knife. I mostly don't notice it's there. The other so called 5th pocket knives will stick out slightly, poke me when I sit down or make a bulge that gets in the way when I try to retrieve my phone from the front pocket below.
I guess I'm just writing all this to share my excitement about the knife, I'm kind of neutral with regards to the clip option, but it certainly can't hurt.

I think I will try it with a lanyard to see if that can ease accessibility in some awkward positions. I never understood lanyards on knives before, but this knife is different. Old prejudice about pocket clips and lanyards seems to go out the window with this one :)
About the TEC suspension clip, I think it's probably a good option for front pocket carry, but that's maybe what you had in mind, vivi? For myself I want to keep carrying it in my 5th, and the freedom to move around in there is what seems to make it so un-pokey and comfortable.
justanedc'er2

Post by justanedc'er2 »

I definitely agree that it looks like the perfect 5th pocket knife, but its still like 90 degrees and 100% humidity in Florida currently - I haven't worn jeans in 6 months haha. I like those add-on clips, but I think they'll make it ride too low in the pocket... Maybe I'll just order an extra dragonfly wire clip and the hardware for that and try to make my own in the meantime until the official option is released...

Thanks for the welcome Sal - I was here 10+ years ago with a similar username that I'm now locked out of, so I created this new one - my Mini Persian and G10 Poliwog are still going strong, and I've picked up a Sharpmaker as well.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

justanedc'er2 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:33 pm
I haven't worn jeans in 6 months haha.
Do you know how evil it is to say something like that to a Norwegian? If we have a really good summer, I might be able to wear shorts for 6 weeks :)

My DF2 is currently my dedicated shorts knife, but I usually don't clip it. Because it's so light, I found it carry most unnoticeable just by dropping it in the cargo pocket, where it just floats around. That makes it a little harder to retrieve and obviously doesn't work for all types of shorts, but it's what I've found to work best, most of the time.

Of course, the few days a year I wear shorts is mid summer, life is easy and I just carry my knife for those just in case occasions. When you dress like that for 6 months +, you might look at it differently :)
Donut

Post by Donut »

I feel like the Manbug needs a small lanyard to enable you to hold onto the knife with all four fingers. I usually just let the ~1 inch long lanyard hang out of my "watch pocket" and use the lanyard to grab it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

aicolainen wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:28 am
justanedc'er2 wrote:
Do you know how evil it is to say something like that to a Norwegian?
I haven't worn pants in 6 months! :D
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
rivy

Post by rivy »

Just joining in to vote YES for a clipped manbug!!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:24 am
aicolainen wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:28 am
justanedc'er2 wrote:
Do you know how evil it is to say something like that to a Norwegian?
I haven't worn pants in 6 months! :D
I live in Florida as well and wear shorts 99% of the year. Sometimes I miss wearing real clothes.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Just bumping this thread up in honor of keeping the hopes and dreams alive! Again if these little knives were to be offered WITH a clip, it doesn't mean that the folks who like carrying them WITHOUT a clip would be suffering a hardship since they could just remove the clip. I've been carrying a serrated salt Dragonfly for the past 6 months now. What it's taught me is that considering my knife needs I could definitely get by with a Manbug or Ladybug as my only knife but sometimes, (running, biking, etc) I need to clip the knife. So I will continue to dream of the day that these small Spydies receive the wire clip treatment.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Well, I got impatient. I have a Manbug salt arriving tomorrow and I'm going to try and mod the Dragonfly clip to fit it. This is purely experimental and I'm likely to mess something up but oh well. I think I'm going to try and figure out the best spot for the clip using the lanyard hole and then heat up pronged ends of the wire clip and press them into the FRN. I'll post some pictures that will either be celebratory or have a lot of @#$% type stuff going on.
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:31 pm
We tried a number of wires which I wasn't happy with. I now have a stamped clip that is fastened through the lanyard hole.
sal
Hi Sal, what made you unhappy with the wire clips? I like this idea of a clipped man/lady bug and I like the wire clips.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi heriamu,

Not unhappy. Just not sure we've got the best solution.

sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I would love to see this happen for a lot of reasons, but I can also understand the challenges of trying to place a clip on such a small knife. If adding a wire clip eliminates the lanyard hole on the Manbug, is there a way to incorporate a lanyard “hole” in the clip itself so that the knife can still be tethered with a paracord fob? Not sure how feasible this would be; it’s just a thought.

The Manbug has been my father-in-law’s primary EDC and favorite knife for the past many years. (I buy him a new one whenever he loses one… I believe we’re up to four now). The problem is, the FRN is so light, he doesn’t feel the knife slipping out of his pocket. Having a wire clip would be helpful in securing the knife to his pocket and thereby hopefully prevent him from losing it. I’ve always tied a brightly-colored paracord fob on all his Manbugs per his request so that he can spot the knife later on if he drops it accidentally. It has helped on a few occasions, but it isn’t the best solution (as evidenced by buying several more to replace the ones he’s lost).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi All,

I'd like a solution as well. I'd like to add a clip that doesn't hit the lanyard hole. I just haven't come up with the "best" solution. I'm still working on it , as I am 30 other projects. I carry a Manbug every day so it's in my attention span.

sal
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Muwahahahahahaaaaaaa!! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!! IT'S ALIVE!ImageUntitled by Six Pound Cat, on FlickrImageUntitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

That looks great, as long as the clip will stay put.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Yea I was worried about that. But, the Manbug and the Dragonfly are the exact same thickness and I sunk the clip into the FRN to the same depth so it's holding well. The lanyard hole is bigger than the clip hole on the D'fly, but as long as the screw is tight I don't see a problem. I'll probably take it all apart, sand down the area where the clip makes contact, Rit Dye the scales, and add some loctite to the screw clip just to make sure. My only issue is that my hand is so used to the Dragonfly, that it's like learning a different language! Anywho this was basically a boredom project and to see how I'd like it since I've been asking for it for so long. Headed out the door with a Manbug CLIPPED in my waistband so I'm satisfied. :smlling-eyes
Sidenote: The Dragonfly feels AMAAAAZING in the hand without a clip.

cabfrank wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:23 pm
That looks great, as long as the clip will stay put.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Nice! That turned out really well, 40mm. 👍
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Great work. Like you, I want a clip on the Manbug.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Nice work!! Should work on a Ladybug too, yes?
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Should work on a Ladybug too, absolutely. Whether you like it or not will be the question. I have quickly decided the clip belongs on the Dragonfly and not, (for me) on the Manbug. BUT! Having said that, it is quite the cool and quirky little pocket knife that I will continue to mess with and modify. I dremeled down the finger guard and gave it a quick dunk in some gray Rit Dye. Back in the pocket it goes.
ImageUntitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:16 pm
Nice work!! Should work on a Ladybug too, yes?