Please Pardon the shameful sales pitch - Rock Jumper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
thewoodpecker

Re: Please Pardon the shameful sales pitch - Rock Jumper

Post by thewoodpecker »

Sal - I never would have believed the RockJumper would bump the exquisite Caly 3.5 out of my #1 spot. I was looking forward to checking it out as I am a big fan of both Wharncliffe blades and FRN. I can already say that I am blown away by this design. My belief is that once more people get it in hand this knife is going to be extremely popular. Ergos and operation are exceptional. Full overview will be in the works.
Hoping we get to see this design with K390, Cruwear and in an LC200N salt platform.

Quick question: do you (or anyone else) know if this model has a bushing pivot? It feels like it does based on the smooth action is but I don't plan on dissembling to find out.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:03 pm
Sal - I never would have believed the RockJumper would bump the exquisite Caly 3.5 out of my #1 spot. I was looking forward to checking it out as I am a big fan of both Wharncliffe blades and FRN. I can already say that I am blown away by this design. My belief is that once more people get it in hand this knife is going to be extremely popular. Ergos and operation are exceptional. Full overview will be in the works.
Hoping we get to see this design with K390, Cruwear and in an LC200N salt platform.

Quick question: do you (or anyone else) know if this model has a bushing pivot? It feels like it does based on the smooth action is but I don't plan on dissembling to find out.

So you actually have one already (they haven't dropped yet here in Europe)?

Could you perhaps post some comparison pics to one or two othee models (Delica, Manix, or whatever you might own)?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mine came in the mail today. Copious amounts of pics soon to follow. :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:34 pm
Man, I'd really appreciate that! :)

Especially how it compares to a Manix concerning closed length and cutting edge... :rolleyes:
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm working on some comparison shots but I don't have a Delica and I know (for whatever reason) that's the knife this is being compared to the most. My first impression is that it's closer in size to what you'd expect from a choil-less Manix 2 (that's not to say the ergonomics are any way similar to a Manix 2, just the edge and handle size).

~David
PStone

Post by PStone »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:34 pm
Do you have a stretch 1/2 to compare, that you could throw in there? Please and thank you!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:00 pm
I'm working on some comparison shots but I don't have a Delica and I know (for whatever reason) that's the knife this is being compared to the most. My first impression is that it's closer in size to what you'd expect from a choil-less Manix 2 (that's not to say the ergonomics are any way similar to a Manix 2, just the edge and handle size).

Nice pic! :)
And exactly the comparison to a Manix is what I am personally most interested in...
James Y

Post by James Y »

Great pic.

It looks like the Rock Jumper’s serrations are a bit more aggressive out of the box than other FFG models(?).

Jim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

James Y wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:36 pm
Great pic.

It looks like the Rock Jumper’s serrations are a bit more aggressive out of the box than other FFG models(?).

Jim

I'm not the best with calipers but I measured at the top of the serrations vs my very reprofiled Caribbean leaf and they both measured around 0.031-0.032, the blade at least is ground as thin as anything else I have. I'd be interested to see how the thickness compares to the wharnie Delica since it has thinner blade stock. They don't "feel" thicker/deeper to me just running my fingers along the sides of the teeth but they are certainly more shallow than my Stretch and I suspect shallower than anything ground into a hollow grind.

Oh, and I posted all the comparison pics into a thread, I figured that way it's easier to find instead of getting buried several pages back in this one.
~David
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It looks great, which we knew, but it really looks great. I'm eager to hear your thoughts, we all are, when you start beating on it. Oops, I mean testing it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:15 pm
It looks great, which we knew, but it really looks great. I'm eager to hear your thoughts, we all are, when you start beating on it. Oops, I mean testing it.
It's officially my EDC for the foreseeable future. I have a long term test in mind for the Caribbean that will retire it for a while and I've been holding off on it until I could get a RJ.
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:46 pm
James Y wrote:
Great pic.

Jim

I'm not the best with calipers but I measured at the top of the serrations vs my very reprofiled Caribbean leaf and they both measured around 0.031-0.032, the blade at least is ground as thin as anything else I have. I'd be interested to see how the thickness compares to the wharnie Delica since it has thinner blade stock. They don't "feel" thicker/deeper to me just running my fingers along the sides of the teeth but they are certainly more shallow than my Stretch and I suspect shallower than anything ground into a hollow grind.

Oh, and I posted all the comparison pics into a thread, I figured that way it's easier to find instead of getting buried several pages back in this one.
Thanks, Evil D.

Jim
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

https://youtu.be/1XX94qRR2BM
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
autoxer

Post by autoxer »

James Y wrote:
Great pic.

Jim
I agree in regards to what I've observed on other FFG serrated models (only through photos though, as I don't own a FFG SE Spyderco yet).

But on a related note, the serrations appear extremely close to those on my Salt 2 SE. I know, different steels and different grinds, but just interesting as I do personally feel that the serrations on my Salt 2 SE are definitely on the aggressive side (I always feel jealous looking at some Spyderco SE blades that don't look so aggressive, as in my experience, mine are prone to snagging during use).
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

man... that just looks so perfect. it's all of the best parts of different seki knives improved into a single package. i can't wait for this as a blacked out salt. i also really want to see the leafjumper. i think spyderco really stepped up the design here. these will be much more popular than the delica, i think. i also really like the larger thumb hole.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Another vote for jimping on the thumb ramp (in general).

Thank you for all the history and transparency on this knife!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

https://youtu.be/gWclWVb1hQQ
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

BladeHQ is one of the only dealers which actually goes through the time and trouble to measure knives independently for specs.

In the case of the RockJumper they show the blade length as 2.83” instead of the Spyderco published 3.08”. If the 2.83” is accurate (usually is with BHQ) then that’s good news since it would make the RockJumper legal in jurisdictions with 3” limits.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

RamZar wrote: BladeHQ is one of the only dealers which actually goes through the time and trouble to measure knives independently for specs.

In the case of the RockJumper they show the blade length as 2.83” instead of the Spyderco published 3.08”. If the 2.83” is accurate (usually is with BHQ) then that’s good news since it would make the RockJumper legal in jurisdictions with 3” limits.
But their measurements for overall length and handle length are the same so something doesnt add up.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
speedseeker

Post by speedseeker »

OK I'm really enjoying the Rock Jumper. Super surprised at how much I'm enjoying it too. In the beginning, like many I suspect, I thought there wouldn't be enough to distinguish it from the Delica Wharncliffe. But, not in hand and use, I've learned otherwise. The beefing up of the blade stock and handle are just enough (but not too much) to make it a very useful EDC type package. Please Sal, give us more? One last thing, I am quite enjoying the absence of jimping. I get the idea that Sal was going for here...no jimping lets me more comfortably let the knife settle into my grip. I've never felt ramp jimping made all that much of a difference anyway. The ramp itself is what provides the secure feel to me. So...no jimping vote from me. I like Sal's design as is. Besides, there are dozens of models with the ramp jimping...lets leave well-enough alone.