Caribbean vs Manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Caribbean vs Manix 2

Post by Evil D »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:54 am
...could you take a photo of a Spyderco Manix and Caribbean side by side? ...

I was so surprised at the similarities here I thought I'd share them with everyone. It's a prime example of why I prefer knives without 50/50 choils so much (along with edge-to-handle designs). You get a knife that's essentially the same size footprint when folded with a significant increase in edge length. The Manix is really only noticeably smaller in the butt of the handle where it tapers into a teardrop shape instead of having the hook like the Caribbean. Otherwise the size differences (to me) are negligible when folded but the gain in edge length is a really big deal, it's Military sized edge in a Manix 2/Para 2 sized handle, and with the edge coming all the way back to the handle I don't miss the choil one bit.

This first pic is a panoramic that I cropped down so it might look a little weird, but it does a good job of giving you both perspectives looking at each end of the handles lined up to show just how close they really are in size when folded. It makes it look like the handle on the Manix 2 has more hump on the spine but it really doesn't, the two handles have almost the exact same spine profile right up until the Manix starts to slope downward at the lanyard tube while the Caribbean extends back a bit more squared.

The rest is pretty self explanatory. The knives are lined up either at the beginning of the edge or beginning of the handle in every pic except the ones where you can see that they're lined up at the pivot screws. Keep in mind the bottom grip side of my Manix 2 has been modified quite a bit, the factory handle is much fuller/taller than this. The blade has also been reground MUCH thinner than stock.

This pic shows the edges lined up at the plunge line to show just how much more edge the Caribbean has.
Last edited by Evil D on Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Dazen

Re: Caribbean vs Manix 2

Post by Dazen »

I still say that the Caribbean, Autonomy 2 and now Rock Jumper are the best designed handles Spyderco has offered. While I do love a choil, there is just something about how these two feel in hand (no Rock Jumper yet). I wish Sal and the Spyderco team would do more with this handle design, now that we have an auto, back and comp lock to work with.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

That's an odd handle on that Manix. None of mine are like that. Mine have a little bump so my forefinger has its own little pocket while yours is just smooth all along. I don't think that changes anything about what you say about the blade shape and choil though.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Dazen wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:24 pm
I still say that the Caribbean, Autonomy 2 and now Rock Jumper are the best designed handles Spyderco has offered. While I do love a choil, there is just something about how these two feel in hand (no Rock Jumper yet). I wish Sal and the Spyderco team would do more with this handle design, now that we have an auto, back and comp lock to work with.

I still love (and want) 50/50 choils on small knives, they just make sense for giving you extra grip space on small knives where the handle alone is too small to provide a full grip, but once I can get a full grip on JUST the handle itself, I don't want or need the choil anymore so long as the grip is positioned close to the edge. It's the most efficient way to get the most edge in to the least amount of handle necessary. I never dreamed I'd get as much edge as a Military into a handle just barely wider than my hand.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:30 pm
That's an odd handle on that Manix. None of mine are like that. Mine have a little bump so my forefinger has its own little pocket while yours is just smooth all along. I don't think that changes anything about what you say about the blade shape and choil though.

I think you missed the one snippet about this knife being modified, but thanks...I must have done a good job :D
~David
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Thanks for these great pics. You made the benefit of the handle design really clear. We'll see how the Rockjumper compares when those come in.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

this thread makes me want a pe leaf caribbean.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Dazen wrote:
Same with the Lil Temp 3(Baby Caribbean) It's been getting a good bit of pocket time. It's another of Sal's masterclasses in design. The dent on the handle is perfectly placed for indexing, the soft jimping on the lock tab and chamfered handles are also really nice touches.

I took the clip off and stuck it in my back pocket. The action is fairly stiff and the detent is strong. I can wrist flick it closed, with quite a bit of force behind it. But, it closes best like a backlock. The kick lands perfectly on your finger, with room to spare(not advisable with the Caribbean.)

There is one thing that is blatantly obvious, when you handle it. It was designed with MBC as a major focus. It's a little battleship, ready for the dirty work.
(Slicin' fools! :D)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:31 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:30 pm

I think you missed the one snippet about this knife being modified, but thanks...I must have done a good job :D
Yep, asleep at the wheel here. You did do a good job.
vivi

Post by vivi »

If they both had the same caged ball lock I'm 99% sure the Caribbean would be my EDC. It has amazing ergos, its a salt and the amount of cutting edge it packs in is impressive. All the ones I handled had fairly light detents though.
:unicorn
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:31 pm
Dazen wrote:

I still love (and want) 50/50 choils on small knives, they just make sense for giving you extra grip space on small knives where the handle alone is too small to provide a full grip, but once I can get a full grip on JUST the handle itself, I don't want or need the choil anymore so long as the grip is positioned close to the edge. It's the most efficient way to get the most edge in to the least amount of handle necessary. I never dreamed I'd get as much edge as a Military into a handle just barely wider than my hand.
Quoted for truth. For me also, once I can get four fingers comfortably on the handle, I’d much rather have edge right to the handle instead of a choil.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Man, you are a legend! Thank you very much for the photos. There is really quite a bit more blade in the same package.
Spyderco is not making things easier for me, releasing great models every few months, but Caribbean is something special.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'll third the no choils on larger knives sentiment. It's very rare I use the choil on my Manix XL and Police, and those don't even get the hand that close to the edge like a Rockjumper or Caribbean. I put up with the index choils because I like everything else about these designs, but I would much rather have an extra 1/3" of cutting edge than a grip option I use less than 5% of the time.
:unicorn
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Overall I like my Manix a lot. It's a great knife. The one big flaw, however, is the bigness/cutting edge ratio. These pictures compare it to a little Civivi, and the Manix has a more durable action and better build quality, and better steel, a way more ergonomic handle, and a stronger lock. The Manix is by far the better knife for doing actual work with. However, I think the Civivi demonstrates just how small the cutting edge on the Manix is compared to how big the knife is in the pocket.

kobold

Post by kobold »

Dazen wrote:
I still say that the Caribbean, Autonomy 2 and now Rock Jumper are the best designed handles Spyderco has offered.
The Caribbean handle has almost the same size and contour as the Bark River Bravo 1 (the spine is more curved though) and in use it feels very close to a fixed blade too - provides great confidence and control.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Double post
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:29 pm
Overall I like my Manix a lot. It's a great knife. The one big flaw, however, is the bigness/cutting edge ratio. These pictures compare it to a little Civivi, and the Manix has a more durable action and better build quality, and better steel, a way more ergonomic handle, and a stronger lock. The Manix is by far the better knife for doing actual work with. However, I think the Civivi demonstrates just how small the cutting edge on the Manix is compared to how big the knife is in the pocket.

I´ve learned to take the Manix as an actually pretty small knife that has superior ergos and two perfect positions for the hand (small knives normally don´t offer that). Seeing it like that, and whenever the amount of cutting edge is sufficient, it is a great work knife.

Still: Yes, the short edge is its flaw in my book too indeed.
Even more so, since there would be space for about 6mm / 0.236" more of edge (blade). Admittedly, adding that would make it exceed the 3.5" blade length that is the legal limit in some places (it would have a 3.6" blade then).
But: 0.13" / 3mm could be added while not exceeding the 3.5" limit. Not the most important thing in the world, but still nice too have.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)