DLT Exclusive Delica OD Green FRN and Coated Cruwear

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: DLT Exclusive Delica OD Green FRN and Coated Cruwear

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:57 pm
anycal wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:51 am
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:52 am

Totally. I haven't seen many worn spydie dlc blades, it seems to hold up so well. But TiCN seems to wear off more quickly at friction points, but looks pretty rad as it does. Some people like patina - same kinda thing (although I personally like the well-worn look more than a patina).
If I didn't already have the earlier released Cruwear Delica, I would 100% get this one. Looks very nice!

I had one :D. I am sure I could darken it up with some oil, but this one was pretty well worn. I do have the Ti coated HAP40 delica, which is holding up well.

There was a TiCN hap40 delica??
Yep, I think it was St Nick's very first exclusive.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:59 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:57 pm
anycal wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:51 am
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:52 am

Totally. I haven't seen many worn spydie dlc blades, it seems to hold up so well. But TiCN seems to wear off more quickly at friction points, but looks pretty rad as it does. Some people like patina - same kinda thing (although I personally like the well-worn look more than a patina).
If I didn't already have the earlier released Cruwear Delica, I would 100% get this one. Looks very nice!

I had one :D. I am sure I could darken it up with some oil, but this one was pretty well worn. I do have the Ti coated HAP40 delica, which is holding up well.

There was a TiCN hap40 delica??
Yep, I think it was St Nick's very first exclusive.
Oh right, duh. :p
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

DLC always cleans up for me too. Don't have much experience with TiCN thoImage
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

First thing I cut and the factory edge did not respond well to cutting less than a foot of thick plastic. There’s a solid quarter inch right in the middle that’s rolled.

Will have to sharpen this guy and see what happens...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

My Cruwear Shaman did the same thing during it's first week of extended use. 3 different flat/rolled spots on the edge. Granted they sharpened out pretty quickly, it was a surprise.

-Rick
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Yeah I’m not surprised at the factory edge not performing well, in fact usually I fully sharpen a knife to 15dps on diamonds or CBN before it ever goes in the pocket.... but one cut? Kind of surprising.

Time to start sharpening out that burnt steel.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:38 am
Have you ever used Flitz, or anything similar to it on the TiCN? That's normally my go-to when it comes to cleaning up DLC. Flitz and a bit of mineral oil and comes back to a clean, and shiny black. Hoping for the same with TiCN.
Hi, yes I do use Flitz now to clean my blades (I used to use that “Super Premium Polishing Paste” that Wouter/Mr. Blonde recommended years ago until it was discontinued). Like what Julia said, some of the wear does clean off but the high friction points along spine, tip etc. never come back to full “black” like I can do with DLC. I don’t have the Rockwell hardness numbers on them but I suspect DLC outranks TiCN (I think TiCN was in mid-70s somewhere). I’m sure somebody will post the deets. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

cycleguy wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:25 pm
They sell ... just not at the instantaneous pace we have seen with some other models.

The grey FRN Cruwear has probably been the strongest selling of the more recent Delicas.

MassDrop sold quickly but not instantaneous. KW, REC, Fraddon all lowered price from their initial offering to facilitate sales. BBS Delica has been around for a while, and Zome(s) (CS and GITD) move a bit slower too. Teal was around for a little but it did disappear as they all seem to do.

I too appreciate that one has time to consider the purchase and the opportunity to purchase others at a later date if interested.

CG

Edit: P.S. We know that the KW204p is 600 units and 150 were presold in about 12 hours (I think)??? Can start the timer for the remainder when they drop.
Forgot to mention KnifeJoy and their FRN Damascus delica which is still available, and which is a BIG surprise to me.

Looks like DLT's Delica is almost gone.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

cycleguy wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:20 pm

CG

How can you tell? :confused:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:32 pm
cycleguy wrote:

CG

How can you tell? :confused:
You didn’t get the email?
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

cycleguy wrote:
Forgot to mention KnifeJoy and their FRN Damascus delica which is still available, and which is a BIG surprise to me.
It seems like the only sprints and exclusives that don't sell out in seconds these days are the Seki-made ones.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

cycleguy wrote:
cycleguy wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:25 pm
They sell ... just not at the instantaneous pace we have seen with some other models.

The grey FRN Cruwear has probably been the strongest selling of the more recent Delicas.

MassDrop sold quickly but not instantaneous. KW, REC, Fraddon all lowered price from their initial offering to facilitate sales. BBS Delica has been around for a while, and Zome(s) (CS and GITD) move a bit slower too. Teal was around for a little but it did disappear as they all seem to do.

I too appreciate that one has time to consider the purchase and the opportunity to purchase others at a later date if interested.

CG

Edit: P.S. We know that the KW204p is 600 units and 150 were presold in about 12 hours (I think)??? Can start the timer for the remainder when they drop.

CG
I think knifejoy already sold out one batch of its delica/endura exclusive and is on the second batch now. At least they were out of stock for a while, then they got more.

Edit: Same with the Knife Center pakkawood models. They've sold through at least one run if not more.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Getting some wear and tear on the blade from materials being cut throughout the week. Interested in how the coating will look after I clean it up Friday night. I'll post a before and after on how the coating fared.

Resized_20200924_112149.jpeg

-Rick
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I saw a little chipping after work today, so I gave it a light reprofiling when I got home. Started with CBN Double stuff, and moved on to the medium and fine ceramic on the Sharpmaker. It was easy work to restore the edge, and I love that Cru-Wear seems to shed a burr rather easily.

Also, I'm not sure what the angle is on this edge, but it's loooow. I used the Sharpmaker at the 30 degree setting to help polish the blade up a bit, and had to adjust how I was holding the knife because I was starting to form a microbevel. I figure inclusive the edge is probably around 25 deg or so. I'm digging it so far.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
PStone

Post by PStone »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:31 am
Getting some wear and tear on the blade from materials being cut throughout the week. Interested in how the coating will look after I clean it up Friday night. I'll post a before and after on how the coating fared.

jpeg
That’s awesome Rick! Can’t wait to see your results. Here’s an older pic of the StNicks Delica’s coating after a few months use. Cutting mainly cardboard. The TiCN coating actually did wear away gradually. Unlike my experience with dlc which doesn’t.
Day 1:
After a few months use:
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

OOS!!!!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

cycleguy wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:37 pm
OOS!!!!

It may not have sold out in 5 minutes, but moving 1,200 (my guess) units in less than 2 weeks is pretty good in my book. I hope they take it as a success and we see more soon. Obviously an Endura, Police LW, Endela, and Dragonfly are at the top of my list, but I was thinking an SE Spyderhawk would be pretty amazing in this combo as well

Thanks again DLTJordan!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I keep thinking if I was a business I would rather have the knives sell over a two week period vs a two minute period. I would hate to tell my staff nobody goes home tonight until we have all 900 packaged and ready for shipping! Maybe two weeks would be long enough to reduce the fluctuation to a manageable level during normal working hours.

On the flip side, how quickly is the money re-invested? Same day? Already invested and forecasted to be there? Not any time too soon?

Yep... thanks for the great Delica Jordan (which likely could be said for any Spyderco done this way).

CG
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Ordered one this morning with a $20 store credit I discovered I had after spending probably thousands on Hinderers, parts and spyderco lol. This was a pleasant surprise, but that’s all folks, just looked and they’re finally sold out!!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

They are starting to hit eBay now. It was probably a stressful two weeks for the flipper scumbags having to hold onto these knives until they sold out. Makes me happy to think about. :)