I tried so hard...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: I tried so hard...

Post by JuPaul »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:12 am
I'm sorry I'm afraid there's only one solution here. Gotta divorce this guy and start over.
But he tollerates my knife addiction!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:57 am
Evil D wrote:
I'm sorry I'm afraid there's only one solution here. Gotta divorce this guy and start over.

Nope sorry. Gotta throw the whole husband out and get a new one. He's defective.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:47 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:41 am
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:51 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:33 am

Well, what I am about to propose is really "knife-nerdish" ;) - but that´s ok on this forum, I guess:

In my experience: "Floppiness in the pocket (or NON-flopiness)" to a certain degree is a function of light weight AND large closed size: So, when two folders do have the exact same (light) weight, but one has a much larger footprint, the latter will "flop around less" in a pocket.

I know, the following comparison lags a lot (especially since folders are normally secured and attached with pocket clips), but just for illustration: If you put two balls each in one backpack, and both balls weigh let´s say 5 oz, but one is made out of a very heavy material (iron...) and has a diameter of just 0.5", the other of very light material (foam...) and has a diameter of lets say 10 ", the latter will be less "floppy" if you run with the backpack on your back

Honestly, in pockets of lightweight shorts the Manix 2 LW is one of the most "stable" and least "floppy" folders I know, cause it is so light for its big size... (and the Lil Native not so much)

Just my 2c of course ;)... And I know a Manix 2 LW is NOT exactly what he says he wants (though it features a CBBL, which you say he does like...)
I really wish I could just get him to join here and listen to you guys, because he won't listen to me on these points! ;) :D But hey, at least he's willing to upgrade his knife, and that's a start in the right direction.

Julia, it´s enough to make one cry... ;) :p ... he is in the best position ever, all your knives right at hand to try out for free!!! :eek:

So maybe you could bring him to do THAT for a week or so (if not to listen to all that VERY wise and sensible folks here :D )... if my above mentioned theory (or actually more experience) is true, the Para 3 LW should indeed be a very "unfloppy in pocket" knife... almost as light as a Delica, but a larger closed package...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

Julia,

Just...wow!

Your husband has no idea what an enviable position he is in! I’m certain a lot of guys would love it if their wives or girlfriends were into knives, and were offering them top-notch knives of their choosing!

Jim
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:32 pm
It's looking like a mini bugout is gonna fit the bill for him. It's not a spydie, but at least it's a cool little knife that I wouldn't mind stealing if he doesn't like it. :D
Look at the Hogue Deka. After buying one, I can't figure out why anyone buys the Bugout.

Watu might be just the thing in this situation, though. I think it checks all the boxes for him.
foofie

Post by foofie »

Watu for sure. Maybe even hope he doesn't like it...
Another option that is harder to come by - Air. I don't know if he needs a clip - but he won't feel a thing when it is dropped in the pocket. And the blade shape will be comfortable and familiar.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:05 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Nope sorry. Gotta throw the whole husband out and get a new one. He's defective.
I mean she’s got knives so pieces would be easier to manage...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Cat? Chicago? Cricket?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

I agree with the Alcyonne. He may need to open his mind a tad?

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JuPaul wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:33 am
Yes. Something in that under 2-2.5 oz range seems to be the size he wants. Something for around the house in basketball shorts that won't flop around in his pocket. A chap, a dfly, or a lil native with frn AND a comp lock would be perfect.

The Lil'Native might do the trick even though it's not frn. Possibly the Rhino if he likes the trailing point blade.

Well, what I am about to propose is really "knife-nerdish" ;) - but that´s ok on this forum, I guess:

In my experience: "Floppiness in the pocket (or NON-flopiness)" to a certain degree is a function of light weight AND large closed size: So, when two folders do have the exact same (light) weight, but one has a much larger footprint, the latter will "flop around less" in a pocket.

I know, the following comparison lags a lot (especially since folders are normally secured and attached with pocket clips), but just for illustration: If you put two balls each in one backpack, and both balls weigh let´s say 5 oz, but one is made out of a very heavy material (iron...) and has a diameter of just 0.5", the other of very light material (foam...) and has a diameter of lets say 10 ", the latter will be less "floppy" if you run with the backpack on your back

Honestly, in pockets of lightweight shorts the Manix 2 LW is one of the most "stable" and least "floppy" folders I know, cause it is so light for its big size... (and the Lil Native not so much)

Just my 2c of course ;)... And I know a Manix 2 LW is NOT exactly what he says he wants (though it features a CBBL, which you say he does like...)
I really wish I could just get him to join here and listen to you guys, because he won't listen to me on these points! ;) :D But hey, at least he's willing to upgrade his knife, and that's a start in the right direction.
They're all wrong. He needs a Baby Horn! ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:41 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

No backlock for him... :o
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:05 pm
Evil D wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I mean she’s got knives so pieces would be easier to manage...
'Till his suspicious death do us part... :D
- Julia

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:58 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:41 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

No backlock for him... :o
"They're all wrong", included him. :D
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
AHarbuck

Post by AHarbuck »

Evil D wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I’ve been married long enough to recognize that he just needs some CQI. :p
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

AHarbuck wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:32 pm
Evil D wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Maybe Julia could send him to Golden for repairs, and Sal could send him back with a good knife.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Albatross wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:51 pm
AHarbuck wrote:
Evil D wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

Maybe Julia could send him to Golden for repairs, and Sal could send him back with a good knife.
Hmm...do you think the usual $5 would cover his return shipping?
- Julia

skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

If you can find one, perhaps a Positron would be in order. Dunno how much a Leek weighs in its various configurations, but the Positron at only 2.6 oz and a humpless ((not so tall) blade shape isn't too far removed from his beloved Leek.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:06 pm
Albatross wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:51 pm
AHarbuck wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Hmm...do you think the usual $5 would cover his return shipping?

Maybe in this special case Spyderco would consider an outreach treatment?! So the severely ill patient (I mean, NO knife in your great collection does it for him!!) could stay at home and receive his cqi there?! ;)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but there is the McBee
I did actually consider it as a 5th pocket option myself, but found the Manbug Salt to be a much better match for my preferences.

If we look outside of Spyderco, the Bugout is my favorite lightweight folder. The OG is small and light enough even by my standards, but the Mini could be even better. I ordered my mini in early May and don't even have a confirmed delivery date yet, so I can't speak to how well it compares to the full size.

While we're on the topic of other candidates I haven't yet tried, both the TRM Nerd and WE Banter are among the small knives I find intriguing.
The BM Mini Freak could also be a more fancy alternative to the Mini Bugout, but at that price... well, you have options
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

Everyone loves the Meerkat