Completely Forgotten Spyderco Models: Your Favorites?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: Completely Forgotten Spyderco Models: Your Favorites?

Post by JuPaul »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:14 am
JuPaul wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:28 pm
I really love these threads - it's a lot of fun to look these older models up. Of everything mentioned so far, my favorites are the Renegade, the Zowada, and the JD Smith. Gorgeous!

Edit: the Mouse was adorable!
I've thought for years that the MOUSE, SPOT and SPUR models would have made great Sprint Runs for some of Spyderco's older small bladed models. Maybe someday :) ??

The Renegade, Zowada, & JD Smith all 3 were some of my permanent favorites. I would love a JD Smith with a supersteel blade. As soon as the C-60 Ayoob returns that might just be the next classic I'm going to beat the drums for.
I'll join that drum circle. ;) I'd definitely be interested in a modern sprint of any of those.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

If there is a Renegade sprint run, please add stainless steel liners.

My guess is that the Renegade was one of the Company's first knives with G10 scales. If I remember correctly, it was intended to get into the biker market and compete with the Buck 110 that they favored.

Unlike G10 clad knives made now, the Renegade had no liners and this caused some problems that may have contributed to its early demise. For example, where the G10 was very thin at the opening hole access flare, it could cave in and impede blade deployment. And it made for a weak hinge.

Liners would make it much more robust in every respect, no doubt the reason they are used today.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Qcrazy wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:35 am
Hey JD,

The Golden Meerkat was only made with the leaf blade and I think in plain edge.
You may be right about that and at this point I wouldn't bet against you. And there were not that many of the GOLDEN, CO made Meerkat models either. The only 3 of them I've ever had my hands on were all 440C blades. And as far as I know about the Japan made units I've only ever seen them in AUS-6>> although I heard that there were a few VG-10 units out there as well.

Actually I'm surprised that the Meerkat and Caly Jr. models didn't become permanent models in the line up.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:26 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:14 pm
Oh by the way what blade steel is your Merlin? I got a VG-10 Merlin about two years ago and I've heard the Merlin is very rare in VG-10>> which is why I haven't used it yet :)
Hey, JD:

Mine is ATS-55, still in the red toothpaste-style box. I also have an ATS-55 linerless G-10-handled Harpy. To be honest, that was the knife I was thinking of when I waxed nostalgic for the Merlin. Functionally, the first-generation Tasman Salt WAS a Merlin with an H-1 blade. I'm just a sucker for the old-school, grippy G-10 handles with chamfered edges--like on the G-10 Police, Rookie, and Harpy.

The intertwined evolution of the Harpy/Merlin and their variants is documented best on Spdiewiki: http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C08_Harpy.

Stay safe,

Mike
The failure of the G-10 Harpy to do well on the sales charts is one of those "Life's Mysteries" that I'll never figure out :confused: I carried/EDCed a G-10 Harpy as a companion blade for about 6 years until someone stole it from me :mad: .

But the three G-10 handled ATS-55 models you mentioned i.e. The Police, Rookie and Harpy I'm surprised didn't become permanent models. Especially that G-10 Harpy. There was some platter-chatter over at Bladeforums a couple of years back and even Sal was in on the conversation. It was indicated from that chat that the G-10 Harpy at some point might be a Sprint Run but that's the last I've heard of it unfortunately.

There was just so many models from the ATS-55 era that became collector classics. But the G-10 Harpy was my favorite out of the bunch. And to make matters worse it's now truly in the ranks of the FORGOTTEN :(
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Have always thought of this one as the Police models evil twin brother..

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:47 am
From what I was told about 5 years ago the ULIZE design was supposed to have had it's roots in some type of law enforcement type design. SO I do believe your hunch is correct.

The ULIZE is also another example of a model that should have been offered in SE & PE both. I do believe that the ULIZE, CAPTAIN, BREEDEN RESCUE, SUPERHAWK and about 12 other models I could name had been offered in Spyderedge I believe most of them would still be on the main line up to this day.

But you are right about the idea of the ULIZE design being borne from LEO uses then you are 100% right :cool:
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Other than the Ayoob, the model I keep revisiting on internet land is the Mighty Tatanka.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:43 am
Philo Beddoe wrote:
From what I was told about 5 years ago the ULIZE design was supposed to have had it's roots in some type of law enforcement type design. SO I do believe your hunch is correct.

The ULIZE is also another example of a model that should have been offered in SE & PE both. I do believe that the ULIZE, CAPTAIN, BREEDEN RESCUE, SUPERHAWK and about 12 other models I could name had been offered in Spyderedge I believe most of them would still be on the main line up to this day.

But you are right about the idea of the ULIZE design being borne from LEO uses then you are 100% right :cool:
I could be wrong. But, I believe the Ulize used the C07GS Police as the base platform it was designed off of and it was indeed designed in concert with Ulrich and a German police officer.

It's truly one of my favorite Spydercos. It sits side by side with the Caribbean. I just can't choose between them.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm glad that I got a sprint of the Calypso a while back.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Loved the Ulize. So slender, slim and light. Elegant yet so wicked.
Somewhat reluctantly, I gifted mine to my LEO brother-in-law.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Mad Mac wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:12 am
Philo Beddoe wrote:
Loved the Ulize. So slender, slim and light. Elegant yet so wicked.
Somewhat reluctantly, I gifted mine to my LEO brother-in-law.

They would have to pry mine out of my cold dead fingers!

It's my favorite IWB knife, hands down. You forget it's there, until you take your pants off and hear the clunk on the ground. :p

But, it is so slim it will disappear just about anywhere you put it.

I had two and sold one. Kinda regret that decision.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:56 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:43 am
Philo Beddoe wrote:

I could be wrong. But, I believe the Ulize used the C07GS Police as the base platform it was designed off of and it was indeed designed in concert with Ulrich and a German police officer.

It's truly one of my favorite Spydercos. It sits side by side with the Caribbean. I just can't choose between them.
Hey thanks for refreshing my memory. I do remember all of that now that you brought it up again. I knew that there was some link with the ULIZE model being associated with the POLICE model as well as other LEO connections.

The ULIZE model became a "forgotten" Spyderco model much faster than most discontinued Spyderco models ever did that I can remember. And it's only been discontinued for about 4 years or so ??
James Y

Post by James Y »

Some that I own, off the top of my head:

Wegner Hunter model

Michael Walker LWT.

Jess Horn

Pro-venator

Meerkat

Calypso with micarta scales

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:21 am
Some that I own, off the top of my head:

Wegner Hunter model

Michael Walker LWT.

Jess Horn

Pro-venator

Meerkat

Calypso with micarta scales

Jim
The Calypso with Micarta scales>> I'm guessing would probably be the C-54 big Calypso??? I do think I remember that there was one Caly Jr. that had Micarta scales but I bet it's the C-54. That model has been in my "JD's Top 10 for about 15 years now. What I wouldn't do for a Sprint Run of that model in SE again>> or even a plain edged with a better blade steel too.

The C-54 isn't forgotten on any of my lists but it's also a model that few of the newer Spyderco fans even know exists.

I think it might have been the first full flat grind blade in SE>> I wish I could get my hands on that C-54 model again in SE. I've been telling EVIL D about that one for some time now. But they are getting harder to find in either edge type. Great classic IMO.

I liked all those Spyderco/Wegner collaborations. I often wondered why they never offered any of those Wegner models in full SE?
James Y

Post by James Y »

Joe,

On second thought, my Calypso is the Calypso Jr. with the 3” or so blade, and it’s in PE.

I’m guessing the Wegner wasn’t offered in full SE because its target market, hunters, may not have gone for full SE.

Jim
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Much of my collection is comprised of forgotten models
because I bought them after they were discontinued and deeply discounted.

Terzuola's Double Bevel is a another example.
I'm a sucker for complex grinds and swedges.
In addition to the eye candy, it was delightfully petite, slim and light.
Again, a reluctant gift to a favored nephew.

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Mad Mac wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:03 am
Much of my collection is comprised of forgotten models
because I bought them after they were discontinued and deeply discounted.

Terzuola's Double Bevel is a another example.
I'm a sucker for complex grinds and swedges.
In addition to the eye candy, it was delightfully petite, slim and light.
Again, a reluctant gift to a favored nephew.

Need any more relatives? ;)

Our collection method is very similar. I just got one in the mail that I think is going to be making some waves in my personal stash. Unfortunately, it too is a soon-to-be member of this thread.

-Thomas Jefferson
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:18 am
Need any more relatives? ;)
Well I do have my limits. A cousin has a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock,
but so far I have been able to resist giving her my Peter Carey carbon fiber Rubicon.

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I always loved those scales!

-Thomas Jefferson
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

K-2
Pingo
LionSpy
Gayle Bradley Air
Kiwi
Kopa
Frank Centofante Memory
ATR
PITS
Rock Salt
Temperance G-10