1000 year old Cr steel found

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

1000 year old Cr steel found

Post by Doc Dan »

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Re: 1000 year old Cr steel found

Post by JD Spydo »

This is really interesting from several aspects. It just confirms to me that there was a lot of high technology in ancient times. I've said for years that the construction of the Egyptian Pyramids were most likely accomplished with some type of "anti-gravity" technology. One example of that was the guy who built "Corral Castle" in Florida claimed he had discovered the Egyptians secret>> he proved it by constructing that Corral Castle himself.

The Nazca Lines on the Peruvian desert floor I believe certainly proved that they had some type of air travel in ancient times as well. I could go on and on but I'm sure you all get the drift.

It's truly amazing what "We Don't Know" in regards to history. For many years I've been suspicious about all kinds of claims in history books. This discovery to me just goes to show you all that there is just a lot that We Don't Know :confused:

Thanks for sharing that with us Doc.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

The bad thing is it also had phosphorus, which made it brittle. Cool stuff though!

Its also funny to think that Damascus steel had vanadium in it (one of the reasons for the patterns). I wonder if they had discussions about sharpening equipment and if diamond stones were required for Damascus? :p
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

soc_monki wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:23 am
The bad thing is it also had phosphorus, which made it brittle. Cool stuff though!

Its also funny to think that Damascus steel had vanadium in it (one of the reasons for the patterns). I wonder if they had discussions about sharpening equipment and if diamond stones were required for Damascus? :p
You do bring up a point however. And a very curious point when trying to figure what the ancient's did use for sharpening?

And diamonds were available depending where on the globe a person lived at the time. It seems that every region on the planet had some type of indigenous material in a particular locale that people mainly used for sharpening their tools.

In America for instance novaculite and obsidian were both used for sharpening tools as well as certain types of sandstone and garnet.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:35 am
This is really interesting from several aspects. It just confirms to me that there was a lot of high technology in ancient times. I've said for years that the construction of the Egyptian Pyramids were most likely accomplished with some type of "anti-gravity" technology. One example of that was the guy who built "Corral Castle" in Florida claimed he had discovered the Egyptians secret>> he proved it by constructing that Corral Castle himself.

The Nazca Lines on the Peruvian desert floor I believe certainly proved that they had some type of air travel in ancient times as well. I could go on and on but I'm sure you all get the drift.

It's truly amazing what "We Don't Know" in regards to history. For many years I've been suspicious about all kinds of claims in history books. This discovery to me just goes to show you all that there is just a lot that We Don't Know :confused:

Joe, I've been blessed to be able to visit Angkor Wat in Cambodia twice, and I'm quite doubtful that it was built the way they "say" it was. It is quite an impressive structure.

Wonder if, in a thousand years, someone will find an H1 steel blade...."it came from the Spyderpeople of old." :p
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
James Y

Post by James Y »

This is very interesting, indeed.

I also very strongly feel (and there has been growing proof) that there is A LOT that people of today are unaware of in terms of what people were capable of in the past, and knowledge that was available and then lost.

Jim
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Really interesting stuff. Too bad about the blades turning out brittle, making them unpopular. If they'd had purer steel, I bet stainless steel wouldn't have been lost for the next thousand years.

I'm picturing ancient knife nuts;

"Well, I got this new Persian steel knife, but the edge keeps chipping on me."
"You've got to try this new stuff from Syria. It's super tough."

Maybe their forum was engraved on stone tablets somewhere...
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:19 am
Really interesting stuff. Too bad about the blades turning out brittle, making them unpopular. If they'd had purer steel, I bet stainless steel wouldn't have been lost for the next thousand years.

"Yeah, but how many feet of parchment could it cut and still shave hair?" :p :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:43 am
TomAiello wrote:

Parchment?? You need the good Egyptian papyrus to test your blades! It's more consistent!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

JD Spydo wrote: This is really interesting from several aspects. It just confirms to me that there was a lot of high technology in ancient times. I've said for years that the construction of the Egyptian Pyramids were most likely accomplished with some type of "anti-gravity" technology. One example of that was the guy who built "Corral Castle" in Florida claimed he had discovered the Egyptians secret>> he proved it by constructing that Corral Castle himself.

Or just good old manpower. Have you seen the guy reconstructing Stonehenge. Its so disappointing to watch how he figured out to raise the stones. Just a giant lever.

Im also not so sure Coral Castle guy didnt cheat. He worked alone and people werent really checking in on him. He could have borrowed a tractor or two.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

TomAiello wrote:
If they'd had purer steel, I bet stainless steel wouldn't have been lost for the next thousand years.
Or maybe it was quite fortuitous that their blades broke. Had the ancient Persians been better armed, today you might be carrying a scimitar on your robe and using it to slay the goat that your wives will prepare for your dinner.
Last edited by RustyIron on Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:34 pm

Or just good old manpower. Have you seen the guy reconstructing Stonehenge. Its so disappointing to watch how he figured out to raise the stones. Just a giant lever.
My wife and I collect good-sized engines, some weighing several tons. We display them all over, and it's common to draw quite a crowd when we load one up or move it around.Its just her and me with a lever, some rollers, and some chunks of wood. It's serious business and failure is not an option, but it's not at all complicated.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

VooDooChild wrote:
Im also not so sure Coral Castle guy didnt cheat. He worked alone and people werent really checking in on him. He could have borrowed a tractor or two.
Reading about him, it seems more like he's saying 'it's just basic physics, and the Egyptians understood that'. I'd guess his process was a lot like the Stonehenge reconstruction. Levers, pulleys, counterweights, etc. One guy can move an awful lot of weight if he just has an unlimited amount of time to rig up a system to do it with.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

soc_monki wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:06 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:43 am
TomAiello wrote:

Parchment?? You need the good Egyptian papyrus to test your blades! It's more consistent!
:D :D :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:18 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
Reading about him, it seems more like he's saying 'it's just basic physics, and the Egyptians understood that'. I'd guess his process was a lot like the Stonehenge reconstruction. Levers, pulleys, counterweights, etc. One guy can move an awful lot of weight if he just has an unlimited amount of time to rig up a system to do it with.
I remember reading that they found his hoist, pulleys, etc. on the property and I seem to remember a picture of him using them.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050