How about a hypothetical?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albatross

How about a hypothetical?

Post by Albatross »

It's always fun to imagine scenarios that challenge your preferences, so here's one to mull over...

If for some reason, all your knives were taken tomorrow, and the only way you could aquire another Spyderco, is to let either Sal or Eric choose for you, which would you choose and why?

If one of the Glessers had to pick a knife (or knives) for me, I would want it to be Sal. Both he and Eric design great knives, and I own models designed by both, but Sal's designs have a different flair to them. Maybe it's the sometimes subtle (sometimes not so much) hints of classic design traits, that I find are both visually appealing and functionally amazing. I think the nostalgia is appealing for many people. Maybe it's just me sticking with what's comfortable.

The P4 and Endura are two knives I could never part with, especially the P4, since it's got one of the best folding knife handles I've ever held. The Shaman is right up there as well.

I love the Manix and the models that the Glessers worked together on, but there are more models designed by Sal that speak to me, than models designed by Eric.

Maybe I need to try more knives. :D
VooDooChild

Re: How about a hypothetical?

Post by VooDooChild »

Sal
They both do good ergos, but I like every one of Sals designs. I would just cross my fingers for a backlock.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

The designs that I enjoy and/or use the most, like the Dragonfly, Urban, Stretch, Lefty Millie and Police 4 are all Sal designs. I like the understated, functional design elegance to them. Like icebergs, a lot of the thought that’s gone into them is hidden below the surface.

Having said that, I’d still be well pleased with one of Eric’s early, ‘funky’ designs like the Dodo or Poliwog.

But how do you know that they’d choose one of their own designs? ;) :p :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Honestly, I'd be happy with either one of them choosing. They both (obviously) have a keen eye for design, so I'm sure I'd be pleased with whatever model they selected.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

My vote is for Sal. I love the older knife designs.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sal, because he's heard enough of my BS over the years to probably know what I like enough to make a good educated guess. Eric may be lurking and reading posts but since I haven't had the chance to hound him about my preferences I can't be sure I could trust his judgement :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Sal, because he would pick the Shaman!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:22 pm
Sal, because he's heard enough of my BS over the years to probably know what I like enough to make a good educated guess. Eric may be lurking and reading posts but since I haven't had the chance to hound him about my preferences I can't be sure I could trust his judgement :D

This, I'm sure Sal has seen me plead for X, Y, and Z in Cruwear, Cru-Carta, DLC Cru-Carta, etc more times than he would care to. I think he'd pick me a winner. Plus I was just noticing all of the Sal maker's marks on my Seki knives, so he really has designed the majority of my favorites. I'm pretty sure he'd throw a matte OD Green TiCN Cru-carta Endura my way. :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

Eric. The manix and lil native are two of my favorites. I probably carry Sal’s designs more often, but if I can only have just ONE Spyderco, I want it to be something that’s more idiosyncratic. Eric seems to have a unique eye for things, which I appreciate.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Cambertree wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:41 pm
The designs that I enjoy and/or use the most, like the Dragonfly, Urban, Stretch, Lefty Millie and Police 4 are all Sal designs. I like the understated, functional design elegance to them. Like icebergs, a lot of the thought that’s gone into them is hidden below the surface.

Having said that, I’d still be well pleased with one of Eric’s early, ‘funky’ designs like the Dodo or Poliwog.

But how do you know that they’d choose one of their own designs? ;) :p :)
Fair point. I assume their design preferences would spill over into model selection, but who knows?

Maybe we need a subscription of sorts, with a few knives per year (maybe 3?) picked by Sal and/or Eric, based on a few questions about preferences. For example, one person might get a Shaman, while another might get a Salt 2, based on their preferences.

I don't think there's much profit in the idea though.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I'm guessing Eric would suggest a Sal design.
Since I enjoy carrying 2 folders, in reality I get to carry one from each :)
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

Eric, no question. Sal would give me the knife he liked most at the moment. Eric would give me the knife that best fit my ergonomics and use. Just how they each design and get excited about knives.