Jeweler's Loupes & Magnifying devices?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Cambertree

Re: Jeweler's Loupes & Magnifying devices?

Post by Cambertree »

Thanks JD, and thanks Mike for the visor suggestions.

I had a quick look for that brand in Australia, but had no luck. I’ll keep looking though.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mike Blue wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:33 pm
I'm a bladesmith at heart but I pay the rent working in healthcare. The above link is a reasonable copy of the double lens headset but at a considerable savings in cost. If it has medical/dental tagged to it the price is automatically 10-15x higher.
I'm sure you're 100% spot on about anything marketed to medical and dental being catapulted price-wise. But I've never seen those loupes that are set up like mini-binoculars marketed for anything else but those two professions. I've not seen very much optical equipment sold through any of the knife making supply houses.

I'm going to start looking to see what Bausch & Lomb might have because most of their stuff is relatively decent quality and their prices aren't in the upper stratosphere. I've also seen stuff marketed through watchmakers and jewelers tend to have a lofty price attached to any of their items as well. It's kind of hard to know where to start looking for good optical tools. At least you can't go wrong with high quality for the long haul.
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

I found these and several others on Amazon; https://www.amazon.com/Dental-Power-Bin ... 225&sr=8-3

Pretty close to what you want marketed as Dental visors. Not bad prices really. I'd wear them.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Cambertree wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:50 am
Hey Bloke, do I remember right in that you have a magnifying visor you use sometimes? If so, can you tell us a bit more about that?

Does anyone else use one?
Camber, I’ve used this old US made OptiVISOR for close to three decades and I s’pose it’s starting to show. They’re a well made quality item with glass lenses. This one’s a 3x, though they do come in a range of magnification and I believe you can buy lenses separately too.

You can see how the leather liner on the head band has perished from sweat and time and I lost the screw that hold the lenses (They didn’t fall out. It took them out and lost them. :rolleyes: ) in place but till this day it’s 100% functional.

I think optiVISOR probably set the bench mark and I’ll most certainly buy another if this one ever dies. :)

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Falcon Tool Company has Optivisors, all the accessories, lenses, and spare parts.
Not sure if they ship overseas.

https://falcontool.com/PublicStore/prod ... 1,611.aspx
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:33 am
Camber, I’ve used this old US made OptiVISOR for close to three decades and I s’pose it’s starting to show. They’re a well made quality item with glass lenses. This one’s a 3x, though they do come in a range of magnification and I believe you can buy lenses separately too.

You can see how the leather liner on the head band has perished from sweat and time and I lost the screw that hold the lenses (They didn’t fall out. It took them out and lost them. :rolleyes: ) in place but till this day it’s 100% functional.

I think optiVISOR probably set the bench mark and I’ll most certainly buy another if this one ever dies. :)

jpm2 wrote: Falcon Tool Company has Optivisors, all the accessories, lenses, and spare parts.
Not sure if they ship overseas.

https://falcontool.com/PublicStore/prod ... 1,611.aspx
Cool, thanks for that. I think that would be very useful to have both hands free. I often have to take my 10x BelOMO loupe and knife away from my sharpening setup and over to a window, to examine the edge closely in natural light.

Thanks for the link too, Jpm2. I did a bit of searching and found some places in Australia that stock the Optivisors.

Much appreciated. :)