Salt Dyad interest ???????????????????????????????

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Salt Dyad interest ???????????????????????????????

Post by Evil D »

I never thought I'd say it but at this point I'm not sure I have much use for the PE blade anymore, so it really comes down to the design. If it's the same as the current version then it'll come down to price, and you better expect the price to be in the neighborhood of the cost of two knives so you have to ask yourself would it be easier to just carry two knives or do you really HAVE to get both blades into one handle, and is that worth the price to you?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:59 am
I never thought I'd say it but at this point I'm not sure I have much use for the PE blade anymore, so it really comes down to the design. If it's the same as the current version then it'll come down to price, and you better expect the price to be in the neighborhood of the cost of two knives so you have to ask yourself would it be easier to just carry two knives or do you really HAVE to get both blades into one handle, and is that worth the price to you?
The current PE blade is what I use to pick splinters, get in small spaces, etc. I use the SE for everything else.

That is why I am so partial to the Micro Dyad. It is basically an SE Jester with a mini JD Smith on the other side. It's the ultimate LBK.

It sure would be epic as a solid chunk of LC200N. I know they are worried about galvanic corrosion, but I think that is slightly overblown. The level of corrosion I experienced on my Caribbean after it was tortured and neglected for over a year, was so minor it was a non issue. Far better than 99% of stainless steels. Almost all of it wiped away with my finger.

OR it could be made in Vanax. ;)

As for the C44, I don't treat it like I do most larger knives. I remove the clip and put it in a sheath or a secondary pocket. That being said, I would still buy another were it to be released.

But, I'd rip their arm off if it was the Micro. :D
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

What if it was more like the Tusk with blades that came out of both sides, and with a little more grip.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I gotta say, Lc200n with dual compression locks is exceedingly appealing....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

sal wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:46 pm
Interesting discussion.

Today I carried a Dyad with dual compression locks. Delica size. It has two humped blades with 12mm opening holes. If we make a knife humpless, then the handle has to be wider and sometimes the opening becomes more difficult. If we make the blades humpless with smaller holes, the same issue exists. The major problem with two bladed knives is the higher cost or processing two blades.

sal
Oh man that sounds like a spectacular utility knife.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

A dual compression dyad?? That sounds absolutely amazing!! I’d buy that in a heartbeat!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Dazen wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:11 am
What if it was more like the Tusk with blades that came out of both sides, and with a little more grip.
I like the sound of a TUSK model with two blades along with the MarlinSpike. Any time you're working around water or any kind of a marine environment you most certainly need two edge types.

This talk of a Salt Dyad is just going to have to come to fruition at some point. It's just not practical many times for a guy to EDC two different knives working in Marine Conditions. Or working in harsh environments like jungles, deserts, tundra and other demanding terrains.

The Dyad is just another of Spyderco's great models that are ahead of their time. The Dyad should also be considered a "standard issue" for guys in the Navy, Air Force, Army ect. Pilots should always have the luxury of having two edge types handy at all times.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Long Live Dyad!

Must... Have...

MOAR!!!!!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Dazen wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:11 am
This!! ^

The moment I first got my Tusk all I could think was what a great platform it would be for a double bladed knife. Like 99.9% of the world, I’ve got no use for a Marlin Spike but if that were a small hawkbill instead the Tusk would be WAY more useful to me. What I like about the tusk is they designed it in a way that when using one blade the other doesn’t get n the way of a comfortable grip.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I’ve been playing with some designs and drawings of a two bladed knife that doesn’t use humps. Drawing it is pretty easy. Once you started figuring out how to fit in screws, locks and pivots it starts getting complicated though. :p
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:49 am
I’ve been playing with some designs and drawings of a two bladed knife that doesn’t use humps. Drawing it is pretty easy. Once you started figuring out how to fit in screws, locks and pivots it starts getting complicated though. :p
You better keep us updated on that :D
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'm definitely interested in any/all FRN Salt Dyad models (either H1 or LC200N) in any/all of the past sizes.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This would be an ideal model for the expansion of the Salt Series IMO. I've talked to at least 3 commercial fishermen who have told me that a double bladed folder would be extremely handy for them. One guy that was a commercial fisherman that used to post on this forum about 10 years ago said that he loved the C-44 Dyad but quit using it in his trade because it didn't have a lanyard hole . And to lose a Spyderco folder of that caliber would truly be gut-wrenching :eek:

So if they do a Salt Dyad a Lanyard Hole has got to be a high priority in the design. Also to do any serious tradesman any good it would have to be at least mid-sized or full sized similar to a C-44 Dyad.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

sal wrote:
Interesting discussion.

Today I carried a Dyad with dual compression locks. Delica size. It has two humped blades with 12mm opening holes. If we make a knife humpless, then the handle has to be wider and sometimes the opening becomes more difficult. If we make the blades humpless with smaller holes, the same issue exists. The major problem with two bladed knives is the higher cost or processing two blades.

sal
Finger choils, or little ricassos like the Delica? The Delica is just a bit too small for my fat fingers. The Native 5, Chaparral, and Byrd Meadowlark all work for me though.
carrot

Post by carrot »

I am 500% interested in a compression lock Dyad with the same blade shape as the old ones.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

sal wrote:
Interesting discussion.

sal

If you go ahead with the project, please reserve me half a dozen. Consider this a pre-order :D . The price is irrelevant.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

ugaarguy wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:26 pm
sal wrote:
Interesting discussion.

sal
Finger choils, or little ricassos like the Delica? The Delica is just a bit too small for my fat fingers. The Native 5, Chaparral, and Byrd Meadowlark all work for me though.
The original C44 had a finger choil on the PE side and just a ricasso on the SE.

But, if it's like the Dyad Jr it will have double ricasso.
Last edited by Sumdumguy on Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Thomas Jefferson
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:42 pm

The original C44 had a finger choil on the PE side and just a ricasso on the SE.

But, if it's like the Dyad Jr it will have double ricasso.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

carrot wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:41 pm
I am 500% interested in a compression lock Dyad with the same blade shape as the old ones.
That is an interesting idea "carrot" but I'm having a problem getting my head around that one :confused: . Oh I'm not at all saying that it can't be done but I am wondering if it's economically feasible? Personally of all the Dyad models I've owned and used I've never had any lock problems. And I've used my C-44 quite a bit over the years. I even EDCed one of my C-44 Dyads for a little over a year at one point and never had any lock problems.

I would have to think that the C-44 with a compression lock you would have to make it significantly wider?? Or do you know something I don't know?

Hey I'm all ears but on the surface I really can't see how this could happen. But I'll admit that it is interesting to think about.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

sal wrote:
Interesting discussion.

sal
That’s very cool, Sal. :)

I’ve been trying to visualise this, as to whether the lock access and Spydieholes would be usable at all for a left hander?

I’ve wanted a Dyad in the past, but had to pass on it because of the righty orientation.

I realise it’s a difficult ask for a multi bladed OHO knife, but it would be nice to have some consideration given to this issue.

Spyderco are one of the few tool manufacturers who actually seem inclusive of the 7-10% of the population who are left handed, in their design parameters, and I appreciate that. :cool: :spyder: