C27P Jess Horn

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mamun1024

C27P Jess Horn

Post by mamun1024 »

Hi guys, any idea what they are worth mint these days? Looking to pick one up but not sure what they are worth these days. Thanks!
DMgangl

Re: C27P Jess Horn

Post by DMgangl »

I recently saw a baby Horn at a local B&M listed for $124. It was a grey G10 with VG10
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Welcome to the forum, mamun1024!

As with any knife, it's worth what you're willing to pay. I'd say that if you want that model, the Knifeworks link that Tko posted is probably the easiest way to get one.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mamun,

Welcome to our forum.

The C27 retailed for $500 when it was new. They are very hard to find.

sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The last plain edged C27 to sell on eBay went for $484.00 back in June. That said, like every other older knife, condition will be a major factor in price. Your location may also have some effect. I have no idea where you live but, for example, some knives fetch more in EU than in the USA while others fetch less.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

If we're talking about the non-Baby Jess Horn, then it's gonna be pretty expensive...
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It's one of the very few Spyderco knives I actually call a "Holy Grail" knife. Not only is it as rare as a hen's tooth it is also virtually non-existent in the overall knife market. It's one of the few I can think of that money might not get you one. Because they are that rare. As far as I know it's the only Spyderco folder that has an indented trapezoidal opening slot. The serrated version has a serration pattern completely unique to that model.

It's one of the very few old school Spyders I've never owned. It wasn't even on the open market very long at all. I've only ever seen 3 of them in existence and all of them at the Atlanta GA "BLADE Shows".

If you were to find one in mint condition and you can buy it for around $500 to $700 I would get it>> Just make 100% for sure it's authentic because I'm sure it's one that counterfeiters like to fake. Because you could probably double your money in a very short time. It would sort of be comparable to owning a Van Gogh painting. It would be an investment you probably couldn't lose on.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

This thread needs atleast one picture!
(Stole from my post in the bolster thread)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
mamun1024

Post by mamun1024 »

Thanks Sal.
sal wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:38 am
Hi Mamun,

Welcome to our forum.

The C27 retailed for $500 when it was new. They are very hard to find.

sal
mamun1024

Post by mamun1024 »

Thank you. Your post was very helpful. I was able to find a mint one but was hesitant to make an offer since I couldn't find any recent sale price to reference anywhere. :)

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:02 am
It's one of the very few Spyderco knives I actually call a "Holy Grail" knife. Not only is it as rare as a hen's tooth it is also virtually non-existent in the overall knife market. It's one of the few I can think of that money might not get you one. Because they are that rare. As far as I know it's the only Spyderco folder that has an indented trapezoidal opening slot. The serrated version has a serration pattern completely unique to that model.

It's one of the very few old school Spyders I've never owned. It wasn't even on the open market very long at all. I've only ever seen 3 of them in existence and all of them at the Atlanta GA "BLADE Shows".

If you were to find one in mint condition and you can buy it for around $500 to $700 I would get it>> Just make 100% for sure it's authentic because I'm sure it's one that counterfeiters like to fake. Because you could probably double your money in a very short time. It would sort of be comparable to owning a Van Gogh painting. It would be an investment you probably couldn't lose on.
mamun1024

Post by mamun1024 »

Thanks Paul, $484 seems a great price for something like this, condition is a factor of course. I'm in the lower 48.
The Deacon wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:51 am
The last plain edged C27 to sell on eBay went for $484.00 back in June. That said, like every other older knife, condition will be a major factor in price. Your location may also have some effect. I have no idea where you live but, for example, some knives fetch more in EU than in the USA while others fetch less.
mamun1024

Post by mamun1024 »

Thank you all for your input, especially JD Spydo.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but my reply's to individual post don't seem to show up.

I wasn't sure what to offer since I couldn't find any recent sale to reference. I was able to snag one though!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

mamun1024 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:37 am
Thanks Paul, $484 seems a great price for something like this, condition is a factor of course. I'm in the lower 48.

Glad to have been of some help. The fact that, within the relatively small number of C27's made, you have a bunch of variables in addition to condition that influence desirability makes them really hard to price:

Plain and serrated versions
Some of each with Jess Horn's name engraved into the blade.
Some with a Spyderco Collector's Club number engraved in the bolster.
Some with a serial number on the blade.
Some with both Jess Horn's name and a serial number on the blade.
Some of any of the above with the original zipper case, some with a replacement zipper case, some with no case.
Some made and sold by Moki for the Japanese domestic market with their name on the tang instead of Spyderco's.
Some of those with a Moki zipper case, some without.

Hope you enjoy yours!
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

mamun1024 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:51 am
Thank you all for your input, especially JD Spydo.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but my reply's to individual post don't seem to show up.

I wasn't sure what to offer since I couldn't find any recent sale to reference. I was able to snag one though!
Like I said the serration pattern on the serrated C-27 Horn models were unique. I don't ever remember a serration pattern on any Spyderco folder that is similar to that on the C-27. If a guy could get a pair of them you would really be in the driver's seat. I've got a pal who has a pair of the original Spyderco R models ( PE & SE) and he's turned down some pretty lofty offers in the past year>> because he's trying to sell the pair and most people only want the PE. So I hope that gives you something to think about with this type of investment.

It could conceivably fetch more money than that "Cranberry Lum" did about 3 years back>> however you would have to sit on it for a while I'm sure>> but you never know. I think that Cranberry Lum was bid all the way up to the $1200 range. This is one model that would truly be a blue chip investment similar if not better than the Cranberry Lum.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I've honestly been looking for a user. I love mine. But, it's too nice to use. I just can't justify it.

Finding one for sale that has some miles on it is even harder than just finding one.

I remember watching the Cranberry Lum go, that was impressive. I would have loved to nab it, but I wasn't in the position to be able to back then.

The next one I remember watching on that level was the Rainbow Cricket. It went for like 1500 or 2500, I can't remember.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson