NFL Season: 2020-2021

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: NFL Season: 2020-2021

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:52 am
lol, i cannot believe I picked Cleveland to beat Baltimore.....
Get a grip on yourself MAC :) Because is that more lop-sided than Spydergirl picking the Cardinals over the 49ers and winning :eek:???? That was the best pick of an upset I've seen in quite some time. I hope she bet a big wad of Federal Reserve Notes on that one. If she did indeed do that then she'll have enough $$$ to support her Spyder-Habbit for the next 3 years or so :D

So go for it MAC!!!!! :cool: When you think about the Dolfins beating the Pats and thus giving the Chiefs home field advantages in the 2019-20 playoffs. I don't remember a pick to top that one in a while either.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Thursday night game... Who ya got?
I'm going Bengals
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:34 am
I'm going Bengals
To me, this is a very tough call....
I really think this game could go either way...
Ya know, I'm wanna say the Browns because after you play a great team like the Ravens, it usually makes you better. But, I think Joe Burrow is the real deal and I'm gonna pick the Bengals...
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:48 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
I'm going Bengals
Ya know, I'm wanna say the Browns because after you play a great team like the Ravens, it usually makes you better. But, I think Joe Burrow is the real deal and I'm gonna pick the Bengals...
I really want to agree, I think the Browns will bounce back after getting embarrassed in their first game. At the same time though, I want the Bengals to win because there are rumors about OBJ potentially being on the trading block. I think being 0-2 would push the Browns into making a "Browns" move and trading him away. :D It's seems unlikely to expect Belichick to go for him, but I can dream!

So yeah, Bengals taking this one! :cool:
-Nick :bug-red
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:24 am
MacLaren wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:48 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
I'm going Bengals
I really want to agree, I think the Browns will bounce back after getting embarrassed in their first game. At the same time though, I want the Bengals to win because there are rumors about OBJ potentially being on the trading block. I think being 0-2 would push the Browns into making a "Browns" move and trading him away. :D It's seems unlikely to expect Belichick to go for him, but I can dream!

So yeah, Bengals taking this one! :cool:
Wow. There are already rumors about trading OBJ?
Man.........
I dunno what to think about Cleveland.....
I do know at one time, they had both Belichick and Saban.....
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
I'm going Bengals
That's my pick. I'm think that Burrow should be able to step on the Browns. The Poor Bengals may finally emerge from the Marvin Lewis era
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The Browns are actually trying to win a football game. Fascinating lol
Spydergirl88
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Baker says "are we??" Haha
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Lol
Spydergirl88
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Fun game gang.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This last game has made me wonder a couple of things. First off I'm now wondering if Patrick Mahomes got stuck with the Bengals ( GOD Forbid!!! :eek: ) if he would have gotten off to a superstar start to his career as he has with the Chiefs???

It makes me think that timing and circumstance play such a huge role in the NFL. I say all of that because I'm really kind of feeling sorry for Joe Burrow's strained circumstances that he's stuck in at this present time.

Yeah Superstars are nice but if you don't have a team chemistry and depth on your roster it's pretty much all for nothing from what I can tell. I welcome other comments or those who even disagree with me on that point.

I just hope that being on the Bengals doesn't ruin it for Joe Burrow :( .
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sunday and Monday picks-
Cowboys
49ers
Dolphins (upset pick)
Steelers
Giants
Titans
Packers
Buccs
Rams
Vikings
Cards
Chiefs
Ravens
Seahawks
Saints
Spydergirl88
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:01 pm
This last game has made me wonder a couple of things. First off I'm now wondering if Patrick Mahomes got stuck with the Bengals ( GOD Forbid!!! :eek: ) if he would have gotten off to a superstar start to his career as he has with the Chiefs???

It makes me think that timing and circumstance play such a huge role in the NFL. I say all of that because I'm really kind of feeling sorry for Joe Burrow's strained circumstances that he's stuck in at this present time.

Yeah Superstars are nice but if you don't have a team chemistry and depth on your roster it's pretty much all for nothing from what I can tell. I welcome other comments or those who even disagree with me on that point.

I just hope that being on the Bengals doesn't ruin it for Joe Burrow :( .
Me and you both JD!!!
I just hope that Bengals have a not only a new coach, but a new philosophy towards the game as well.
Joe Burrow is special!!
Unbelievable poise for a rookie imo.
Some of the throws he made were All Pro.
All that being said, I think if Cincinnati will spend some money on their offensive line, that would be a fantastic start.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I believe Mahomes career would be completely different if he was drafted by the Bengals. He had a year to learn behind Alex Smith and was very lucky to be given an absolutely loaded offense with the Chiefs, which has been instrumental to his success. I really do not believe he would have won a Superbowl already if he was with the Bengals.

I agree that timing is important and each situation is different, which can really dictate whether players succeed or not. The 2018 draft seems to have some good examples of how dumpster fire teams can just ruin a quarterback's chances of success.

Baker Mayfield went first overall to the perennial underachievers. Sam Darnold went third to the Jets... :rolleyes: and Josh Rosen went 10th to the Cardinals while they were in the process of imploding to "re-rebuild." On the flip side though, Lamar Jackson went 32nd into a good situation at the Ravens with a competent coach and has seen some well earned success. Quarterback is not always the only missing piece a team needs to succeed and sometimes quarterbacks are just draft busts. It's hard to tell sometimes.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:05 pm
I believe Mahomes career would be completely different if he was drafted by the Bengals. He had a year to learn behind Alex Smith and was very lucky to be given an absolutely loaded offense with the Chiefs, which has been instrumental to his success. I really do not believe he would have won a Superbowl already if he was with the Bengals.

I agree that timing is important and each situation is different, which can really dictate whether players succeed or not. The 2018 draft seems to have some good examples of how dumpster fire teams can just ruin a quarterback's chances of success.

Baker Mayfield went first overall to the perennial underachievers. Sam Darnold went third to the Jets... :rolleyes: and Josh Rosen went 10th to the Cardinals while they were in the process of imploding to "re-rebuild." On the flip side though, Lamar Jackson went 32nd into a good situation at the Ravens with a competent coach and has seen some well earned success. Quarterback is not always the only missing piece a team needs to succeed and sometimes quarterbacks are just draft busts. It's hard to tell sometimes.
Both you guys made excellent points. Because take the KC Chiefs way back in History>> I'm speaking mainly of the late 70s/early 80s. The Chiefs had just come out of the Hank Stram era and were under a serious rebuilding phase. At that time ARROWHEAD Stadium hardly ever sold out. So the Chiefs drafted who they thought would be the next Lenny Dawson ( or better) and that being Bill Kenney. This was no joke, this guy was coveted heavily throughout the entire league>> The Chiefs got him because they had a very high draft pick. It is rumored that Dallas and the Oakland Raiders both wanted him really bad. But the Chiefs got him. I was working for a Doctor at that time doing work on his lake house. Can't say his name but he was at that time the head physician of the Chiefs. The Doctor told me that Bill Kenney had a high powered rifle of an arm and they looked for him to lead us back into greatness.

Well there was a problem>> the team was truly at one of their all time low points. Their offensive and defensive lines were a joke. Poor Bill Kenney was truly beaten to a pulp each game even though he did put up some relatively nice stats in spite of all of that. If any of you look up Bill Kenney, NFL you will read and see what I'm talking about. My heart went out to the poor guy. The Doctor I was working for was constantly patching up Bill Kenney>> because that poor guy took some serious beatings over the years. But everyone I talked to told me stories of what this guy was capable of and what he did in practice and training camps. I've often wondered how Bill Kenney would have done had he gotten with the Cowboys or the Raiders. I truly think he might have been another Roger Staubach had the situation been different.

Patrick Mahomes did indeed get a lot of advantages from the start. But I still say he may have more raw talent in a QB than I've seen since Joe Montana came into the league. I must humbly admit that Andy Reid and Brett Veach have both put together a "super team" in the short time they've been working together. Brett Veach is truly a real football man and a super business man as well. And Andy Reid has sense enough to work with him. Patrick Mahomes was at the right place, at the right time, no doubt about it.

But I'm going to hope and pray that things work out better for Joe Burrow. It would be a shame to see a guy like Joe Burrow to be horribly misplaced in the NFL under a bad system :( .
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Dang, Ive gotta get my picks in.
Nick & Rick, hope to see pics from you guys as well!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

My picks for this week -

Bears over Giants
Rams over Eagles
Cowboys over Falcons
Buccaneers over Panthers
49ers over Jets
Steelers over Broncos
Titans over Jaguars
Packers over Lions
Bills over Dolphins
Colts over Vikings
Cardinals over The football team
Ravens over Texans
Chiefs over Chargers
Patriots over Seahawks
Saints over Raiders
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Such good solid picks thus far.
I'm going for a huge upset week
Here are the winners for week 2
Giants
Eagles
Cowboys
Chiefs
Patriots
Saints
Panthers
Jets
Steelers
Jaguars
Packers
Bills
Vikings
Cardinals
Ravens
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Not to derail the thread but.... Go Stars!
Spydergirl88
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OK here are my Week #2 picks. I'm surprised you guys had no comment on my short story about the Chief's past QB Bill Kenney. Well here are my picks and I need to do better than 57% that I did my first time :o
Titans over the Jags ( Titans are better than most think)
Steelers over the Broncos ( Tomlin will be much improved this year without the distractions)
Panthers over the Bucs ( no I'm not a believer yet)
Rams over Eagles ( I'm not even going to comment on Wentz anymore)
49ers over the Jets ( anyone can beat the Jets >> what a wasted career for LeVeon Bell :( )
Dolfins over Bills ( one of my upset picks)
Vikings over Colts ( I'm still a believer in the Vikings this year)
Cowboys over Falcons ( McCarthy will deliver the goods, no one will be laughing by week #5 )
Giants over the Bears ( Giants are on their way back IMO)
Washington over Cards ( no way the Cards will do it 2 weeks in a row)
Chiefs over the Chargers ( also by two TDs like they did to the Texans)
Texans over the Ravens ( my #2 upset of this week)
Seahawks over the Pats ( I like Russell Wilson over Newton)
Saints over the Raiders ( I might regret this one because the Raiders are improving)
And I'm hoping to do better than I did last week or I might just quit for a while.

Truly I am surprised that not one of you guys ever heard of Bill Kenney :confused: