C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cambertree

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Cambertree »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:19 pm
Now Cambertree thinks that Superblue Steel wouldn't be good for a C-60 blade. I'm really scratching my head on that one. A friend of mine who does woodworking has 3 chisels made with Hitachi SuperBlue and he swears by it's edge holding ability. I'll admit that I've never yet used a Spyder with Super Blue but I do want to at some point.

As great of results as I've had with my M390 Military model I would love a C-60 with that steel as well.
Hey JD :) ,

Oh, no doubt Superblue is a fine steel for chisels and kitchen knives and even certain kinds of pocket knives. I carried a Superblue Dragonfly around Japan, and I still use and love my Superblue Delica.

It would just seem to be a curious request for a knife that would be intended to be carried a lot in all seasons and all weather, and with the option of IWB carry as part of its design purpose.

If you haven’t used Superblue, then think of the corrosion resistance of those carbon steel pocketknife blades you used to use as a kid. Superblue has pretty much exactly the same level of corrosion resistance - which is zero.

Some knife afi’s would have no trouble taking care of it. But I think most folk would not want a steel that would rust heavily from sweat on hot days, and also show edge degradation from atmospheric moisture in rainy environments etc.

As mentioned, HAP40 takes a similar fine edge to Superblue, as well as being more corrosion resistant and more wear resistant.

VG10 beats them both on the stainlessness front, of course.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Bump! This topic has fallen to Page 3?? Come on everyone....let's keep the fire alive! :)
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I am really looking forward to this knife with a stainless blade. A Hap40 or Super blue etc would be a deal breaker for me since I want to carry it, and I don't carry these types of steels.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm just sitting here with my debit card waiting for the in-stock alert.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
benben

Post by benben »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:10 pm
I'm just sitting here with my debit card waiting for the in-stock alert.
Now that’s the perfect thread bump! :D
benben

Post by benben »

Mini2white wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:40 am
I am really looking forward to this knife with a stainless blade. A Hap40 or Super blue etc would be a deal breaker for me since I want to carry it, and I don't carry these types of steels.
I feel just about 100% certain it’ll be stainless, I’ll be shocked if it’s not!
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

VG-10 would be great. Stain resistant and relatively tough. Easy to get very sharp.
I don't see many using their Ayoob to break down 400ft of cardboard!
154CM or better yet the CPM version would also be a very appropriate steel choice.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cycletroll wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:42 pm

Won't I?

:D
~David
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'll sure try!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Hey guys I'm sure I missed it but how does this knife compare size wise with the PM2? My credit card is waiting 😊
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Cycletroll wrote:
VG-10 would be great. Stain resistant and relatively tough. Easy to get very sharp.
154CM or better yet the CPM version would also be a very appropriate steel choice.

Neither will we see majority of users ever use it in actual self- defense situations. :)

I believe a big majority of the potential buyers of this Sprint will either have it for collection purposes or for EDC (which among other things, invariably involves cutting a lot of cardboard) :D

With the abundance of steel options it just won't sell to the majority crowd out there if the knife will use VG-10. Especially if it is going to cost over $200.

I'm in for XHP. The way it has been implemented in the Slycz series have been awesome. Just about well-balanced in terms of stainlessness, edge retention and sliciness.

I hope our requests for screw construction and clip position options would be considered by Sal and company. I do understand the desire to fully respect the maker's wishes regarding a sprint run of this knife but I believe this knife is too good to just be relegated with minor updates only. :)
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearrowland wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:20 pm
Hey guys I'm sure I missed it but how does this knife compare size wise with the PM2? My credit card is waiting 😊

It's a good bit bigger especially in the handle. I don't have an Ayoob yet but I found this pic in a search. It's not the best for comparison but better than nothing. The blade is about in the middle between a Para 2 and a Military.

~David
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Thanks David! I thought it would be, but have never seen them together.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:31 am
Bump! This topic has fallen to Page 3?? Come on everyone....let's keep the fire alive! :)
If only the newer Spyderco fans and newer forum members had any idea of what we are setting up for them then this thread would probably already be at page 75. But so few of these newer folks have even had their hands on a C-60 Ayoob. Seriously folks!! I can only ever think of one person that I've showed off my C-60 Ayoob models to that had a "not so good" response to it.

Most people I turn this blade onto immediately ask me where they can get one at. Then when I tell them that they have been discontinued for eons :eek: I get responses like "What The heck!!?? or "This knife should be Spyderco's flagship model"

And when you look at it closely you can easily conclude that only Spyderco could have come up with this model. I seriously doubt if any other modern day, commercial knife company would have had the guts to put this one on the open cutlery market.

OK with all that said and being that we also have Mr. Glesser's blessings on the project we've just got to start counting down the days until we get one in a new factory box. I'm personally committing to 4 of them. Two of the PE and Two of them SE. There will be one set for the long term collection and one set in my rotating user arsenal. And I've got a feeling I'll be using this new edition quite a lot.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:57 pm
bearrowland wrote:

It's a good bit bigger especially in the handle. I don't have an Ayoob yet but I found this pic in a search. It's not the best for comparison but better than nothing. The blade is about in the middle between a Para 2 and a Military.

Great picture!!! Can't you all see how this C-60 stands out in such regal fashion :cool: It is sixth from the right and eighth from the left. But I would more than imagine that probably 8 out of ten Spyder Fans would have picked it out on their own.

You see the C-60 in some pretty impressive company but in some ways it stands on it's own. I can't wait until this 3rd generation C-60 Ayoob is rolled out of the factory. Who knows I might even add one extra SE unit to my shopping list just so I can keep it as my tackle box, fillet knife. Because I'm not at all kidding you folks. That buddy of mine that used to be on this forum from up in the "Finger Lakes" are of New York State told me on several occasions that the C-60 was by far the best fillet knife he ever used. Personally it would have been an accident had I discovered that>> but when you think about it I can certainly see why it would be great for filleting fish. and you could use the SE or PE either one for that job.

I'm sure Mr. Massad Ayoob probably never had that in mind but I bet he's interested to know that. So maybe after this upcoming Sprint Run is a success I'm then hoping for one with a supersteel blade in PE and then maybe an SE model in the Salt Series in LC200N. Truly I think that dream could easily become a reality. :cool:
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

It really does stand out!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

nerdlock wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:26 pm
Cycletroll wrote:

Neither will we see majority of users ever use it in actual self- defense situations. :)

I believe a big majority of the potential buyers of this Sprint will either have it for collection purposes or for EDC (which among other things, invariably involves cutting a lot of cardboard) :D

With the abundance of steel options it just won't sell to the majority crowd out there if the knife will use VG-10. Especially if it is going to cost over $200.

I'm in for XHP. The way it has been implemented in the Slycz series have been awesome. Just about well-balanced in terms of stainlessness, edge retention and sliciness.

I hope our requests for screw construction and clip position options would be considered by Sal and company. I do understand the desire to fully respect the maker's wishes regarding a sprint run of this knife but I believe this knife is too good to just be relegated with minor updates only. :)
Everything you just said in this post I'm 1000% with you my Brother ;) And thank you for bringing up the possibility of using XHP blade steel because it's one of the newer supersteels that I know for a fact is good in PE & SE both. I have a PE version of the C-36 Military model in XHP and I have it as my back up in case I were to lose or have my M390 Military model get stolen. I can usually get that XHP steel almost as sharp as I can my M390. I actually carry my XHP Military model on some occasions just to check out other blade steels at times. But a good buddy of mine has two Cold Steel serrated folders with that XHP and he let me use one. That XHP is a great steel for Spyderedges or any other serrated edge too and it holds up well in SE with hard use.
You're spot on with the "screw construction"!! and you are so right that 99% of the owners/ users of the C-60 will never use it in a self defense situation. I view my two daily EDCs as "Better Than Nothing At All" when viewing them as possible self defense weapons. If I felt that my life was truly in danger I would be packing a real weapon. Any knife I would have on me would only be used if there was nothing else to use. Using knives as self defense weapons is much easier said than done.

You better be well trained and well educated like our own Michael Janich if you want to solely rely on blades for your self defense weapons IMO. And look at how well trained that guy is.

Yeah if they wanted to do a Sprint Run of the C-60 in PE & SE and use XHP for both edge types I would be all for it.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Evil D wrote:
bearrowland wrote:

It's a shame that dude only has 6 knives. :D The far right one is probably an Aculus, though, so maybe he has 7.

I had the last Ayoob sprint for a while (maybe 8 years ago now), the clip position and the overly strong spring were enough to make me not love it. I do wish I had given it another chance right now. I'll be in for one or two of the next sprint. Two just in case I get the itch to get rid of it... and then I have the chance of giving it a second chance before being lost without one.

If that's a Caly 3.5 on the right, the Ayoob might have a pretty big blade. I do remember it being closer to a 4" blade.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:49 pm
Evil D wrote:
bearrowland wrote:

It's a shame that dude only has 6 knives. :D The far right one is probably an Aculus, though, so maybe he has 7.

I had the last Ayoob sprint for a while (maybe 8 years ago now), the clip position and the overly strong spring were enough to make me not love it. I do wish I had given it another chance right now. I'll be in for one or two of the next sprint. Two just in case I get the itch to get rid of it... and then I have the chance of giving it a second chance before being lost without one.

If that's a Caly 3.5 on the right, the Ayoob might have a pretty big blade. I do remember it being closer to a 4" blade.
Well Donut I had a real funny feeling you were going to show up to this party :) I must say I"m just a tiny bit shocked that you didn't like your first taste of the C-60 Ayoob model :confused: Knowing your tastes in blades like I do I kind of figured the C-60 would be right up your alley.
Well please do give it another chance because Mr. Glesser is going to spice this one up a bit. I've got a feeling that we are going to see a literal herd of C-60 Ayoob fans coming from this Sprint Run.
I take it that being you got the 2011 Sprint Run that you've not ever tried this model in SE? Because if you do you are in for quite a pleasant surprise. This C-60 Ayoob is a mega-beast in SE. I wish I could find Doc Snubnose's meat test he did with his serrated Ayoob model. It was quite impressive to say the least. I sure wish Doc Snubnose would chime in on this one. He liked the C-60 in PE & SE both just as I do. But the results in his test he did with a literal side of beef was awesome.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:29 pm

Everything you just said in this post I'm 1000% with you my Brother ;) And thank you for bringing up the possibility of using XHP blade steel because it's one of the newer supersteels that I know for a fact is good in PE & SE both. I have a PE version of the C-36 Military model in XHP and I have it as my back up in case I were to lose or have my M390 Military model get stolen. I can usually get that XHP steel almost as sharp as I can my M390. I actually carry my XHP Military model on some occasions just to check out other blade steels at times. But a good buddy of mine has two Cold Steel serrated folders with that XHP and he let me use one. That XHP is a great steel for Spyderedges or any other serrated edge too and it holds up well in SE with hard use.
You're spot on with the "screw construction"!! and you are so right that 99% of the owners/ users of the C-60 will never use it in a self defense situation. I view my two daily EDCs as "Better Than Nothing At All" when viewing them as possible self defense weapons. If I felt that my life was truly in danger I would be packing a real weapon. Any knife I would have on me would only be used if there was nothing else to use. Using knives as self defense weapons is much easier said than done.

You better be well trained and well educated like our own Michael Janich if you want to solely rely on blades for your self defense weapons IMO. And look at how well trained that guy is.

Yeah if they wanted to do a Sprint Run of the C-60 in PE & SE and use XHP for both edge types I would be all for it.

Sorry for missing this reply! Posts have been bumping up fast the past day and can't believe this thread is back down again near the bottom part of the general discussion front page.

I'm a big fan of XHP after experiencing it on the tiny Techno 2... this steel is a slicer, and holds an edge relatively well for quite some time. I can only imagine it in a longer blade with a bigger belly like the Ayoob. I think it would be amazing for general EDC use.

In fact the XHP steel is making me have second thoughts about not getting a Swayback at all to considering it for one of my last purchases for this year. The Techno 2 despite not being FFG is surprisingly a very good slicer, and I think that would translate well to the Ayoob with both knives having "almost" similar grounds - Techno 2 with a Saber and, correct me if I'm wrong though that the C-60 is Hollow ground or Saber? Apologies if I do mix them up. But if the C-60 is Hollow then it would make a much better slicer than the Saber ground Techno... how exciting!

I know this knife was made for SD like the Canis and Yojimbo series, but I have yet to read or hear someone using these knives in actual SD situations. Almost all uses are EDC related. Agree that in order to make use of the knife effectively as a SD weapon, training is a must, that is why there is FMA and other MA branches that deal exclusively with knife fighting.

This is why I do think that steel choice is important - because in today's saturated knife market, something above $200 using VG-10 only will definitely turn most customers off, especially if they are not familiar with the knife's history and design considerations. People nowadays will look for value for their money and I doubt many will find value in spending over $200 for a VG-10 blade no matter how cool the design is.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet