flipper recommendation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bemo

flipper recommendation

Post by Bemo »

I think this is my first thread start! In looking at my Spyderco collection, one noted omission is a flipper. Preferences are 3 to 3.5 inch blade. Oh and sub $200 usd. My favorite Spyderco models are the caly/ukpk series, natives, oh and Stretch (maybe that will help with recommendations).

So models to look at and models to avoid? I understand the Mantra series had an issue for a bit.

Thanks!
yowzer

Re: flipper recommendation

Post by yowzer »

If you can still find one available, the Mantra 2 is quite nice.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Had the mantra 3 and sliverax.
Both had way too weak detents.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Mantra 1 is my favorite.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Mantra 1 here also.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Smock is a fun one play around with, also a pretty unique design.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Mantra 2 is in my pocket more than any other knife.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

The Domino is one of my favorites. BBS still has their exclusive 204p model, but it's just over your $200 limit. The Smock has probably the best crispy flip of any Spydie flipper I own, and it's an awesome unique design. Rumor is that there may be an exclusive version with m390 steel and red scales coming from DLT soon - I'd wait for that one if I was in your shoes. The Mantra 1 is also a great little flipper, but is long disco'd and might be harder to find. The Sliverax is an incredible design, but as mentioned above it has a very weak detent.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

As mentioned by yowzer, the Mantra 2 is a great knife. Mine didn't flip great, but after some minor screw adjustments, and trying different flipping techniques, it flips very well. I did not mess with the detent. The knife flips as well as any of the 5 ZT flippers I've owned. The washers that protect the titanium from the bearings are quite thin, and will deform if the pivot is tightened too much. Fortunately it's not been necessary to tighten the pivot enough to deform the washers. There's also info floating around the internet, about how to improve the detent on the Mantra knives, for anyone who is handy and willing that is.

I haven't held either one, so I can't say for sure, but the Domino and Smock look like the best options, based on your preferences. The Domino might be most ideal for you, due to the choil, since the knives you listed all have them. Some people use the cutout on the blade (designed to work with the lock) of the Smock as a choil, while some feel it's not safe/comfortable/big enough. The Domino has an actual choil and a blade shape you will probably find more familiar.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Red weave CF Domino right at $200 from KnifeWorks - https://knifeworks.com/spyderco-domino- ... lain-edge/. It's a Spyderco flipper in Spyderco's red and black colors! That red and black weave CF/G10 laminate should be on some of Spyderco's own premium variants.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Ikuchi is a lot of fun.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

M Sea wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:19 am
Mantra 1 here also.
I liked the original Mantra so much I bought second one. The first one was on clearance from the SFO, so it was probably the latest revision. I'm not sure what rev the second one was, but they're pretty much identical, the later one could be the latest rev, too.
Last edited by Pokey on Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

yowzer wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:57 pm
If you can still find one available, the Mantra 2 is quite nice.
I bought a second, (not a factory 2nd,) Mantra at Oso Grande. They're out of the originals, but they do have the Mantra 2's in stock right at $200.

https://www.osograndeknives.com/
Holland

Post by Holland »

Mantra 1 is my favorite knife
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I actually pulled my Mantra 1 out a few days ago and started carrying it again.

I'm thinking of removing the flipper tab and making it the perfect Delica. Maybe.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:22 am
I actually pulled my Mantra 1 out a few days ago and started carrying it again.

I'm thinking of removing the flipper tab and making it the perfect Delica. Maybe.
My Mantra is one of my favorite knives and I carry it often
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
archangel

Post by archangel »

Another vote for.Smock or Ikuchi. Many people don't like the missing cutting edge of the Smock (I don't care), or the difficulty to deploy the Ikuchi (I have zero problems, cause I know what to do). I love them both like crazy. :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Thanks everyone. I've looked at the Domino and the Sliverax on line a lot and they do intrigue me. I had an Efficient for awhile that I loved before getting into the better steels and I believe the design was heavily influenced by the Sliverax. My one concern with the Domino is the pocket space a wide knife takes up. I don't carry my two Manix 2 LW's much because of that and the Domino seems just as wide. That Smock does catch my eye and if there's a red scale version I may hold out for that. Again thanks everyone!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Mantra 2, but I had to take it apart and flip around the detent ball to give it a stronger detent. Much more positive action now.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Bemo wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:15 am
Thanks everyone. I've looked at the Domino and the Sliverax on line a lot and they do intrigue me. I had an Efficient for awhile that I loved before getting into the better steels and I believe the design was heavily influenced by the Sliverax. My one concern with the Domino is the pocket space a wide knife takes up. I don't carry my two Manix 2 LW's much because of that and the Domino seems just as wide. That Smock does catch my eye and if there's a red scale version I may hold out for that. Again thanks everyone!
Sliverax is also one of my favorite knives. It still surprises me that it's not more popular. It's a really great design. If you're concerned about the weak detent it's easy enough to fix with items you can buy from Amazon
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!