This is disappointing...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: This is disappointing...

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:35 am
"I just wanted to try it out so I got the cheap one"

Is like saying

"I'm gonna test drive this kit car built off a Pontiac Fiero because I might want to buy a Ferrari if I like it".

Hahah, you hit the nail on the head with that one. Perfect way to sum that up.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Haha... the PM200 Pacer
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I just came back from the shop, but forgot my phone in my office so I couldn't get a pic. I took the blue one apart and the terrible action is easily understood now. It has ONE white (teflon I imagine) washer! Not two, but one!

-Rick
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:03 am
I just came back from the shop, but forgot my phone in my office so I couldn't get a pic. I took the blue one apart and the terrible action is easily understood now. It has ONE white (teflon I imagine) washer! Not two, but one!
Probably not even Teflon, just some kind of cheap plastic.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Albatross wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:29 am
I don't buy fakes, clones, or any sort of imitation; it's one thing I will not compromise on. Seeing people buy fakes really bothers me, especially when the excuses come.

"I wanted to try a PM2, but didn't feel like spending X amount of money."

"It's a good way to see if I like the model, without spending a lot, in case I don't like it."

The worst of it are the YouTube reviewers, who promote fakes, and suggest there's little to no difference between a fake and an authentic, which is mind-blowing. Even if it's true, it's theft. They focus on value, not ethics. I feel like that's extremely irresponsible, and if someone was ripping off their videos to make money, I'm sure their opinions would change. I doubt they would tell you that stealing videos is a good way for someone to get into YouTube video-making.

On a less cynical note, some people just don't make the connection, and therefore don't understand why it might be an issue. Luckily, these people are usually at least somewhat receptive of advice about avoiding fakes. Maybe some day fakes will be regulated in every country.

Also, that blue one is so bad I laughed.
I've quit watching a few reviewers because of them promoting Ganzo, or some other counterfeit knife. "this fake X knife is so good, I sold my real one!". I don't understand it! Sure the fake is $20, but I'd rather have a knife I can be proud of that won't fall apart and I can get serviced with a warranty!

I've seen so many people complain about certain company's prices, including Spyderco, but I'm happy to pay because I want to support them, not thieves.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

I wouldn't pay $20 for a knockoff knife because there's a baseline reason to distrust the parts going into it. Says it's a Spyderco, it's not, says it's S30V steel... probably not. Seems like the easiest way to end up with two $10 halves of a knife.

Don't get me wrong, I have beater knives that I paid under 50 bucks for which I'll use accordingly. If it's AUS-8, or D2, or 1095, I realize those have different toughness levels. If it's a knockoff, no matter how good the action is, no matter how good the grip feels, I'm not going to trust the blade to do anything.
Last edited by Rp5 on Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:38 am
Those beautiful spray paint coated blades though
Lmao
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Reminds me of people who buy the cheapest toilet paper possible thinking they will save money but end up spending more than they would have if they bought the good stuff
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

soc_monki wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:00 pm
Albatross wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:29 am
I don't buy fakes, clones, or any sort of imitation; it's one thing I will not compromise on. Seeing people buy fakes really bothers me, especially when the excuses come.

"I wanted to try a PM2, but didn't feel like spending X amount of money."

"It's a good way to see if I like the model, without spending a lot, in case I don't like it."

The worst of it are the YouTube reviewers, who promote fakes, and suggest there's little to no difference between a fake and an authentic, which is mind-blowing. Even if it's true, it's theft. They focus on value, not ethics. I feel like that's extremely irresponsible, and if someone was ripping off their videos to make money, I'm sure their opinions would change. I doubt they would tell you that stealing videos is a good way for someone to get into YouTube video-making.

On a less cynical note, some people just don't make the connection, and therefore don't understand why it might be an issue. Luckily, these people are usually at least somewhat receptive of advice about avoiding fakes. Maybe some day fakes will be regulated in every country.

Also, that blue one is so bad I laughed.
I've quit watching a few reviewers because of them promoting Ganzo, or some other counterfeit knife. "this fake X knife is so good, I sold my real one!". I don't understand it! Sure the fake is $20, but I'd rather have a knife I can be proud of that won't fall apart and I can get serviced with a warranty!

I've seen so many people complain about certain company's prices, including Spyderco, but I'm happy to pay because I want to support them, not thieves.
I'm surprised that it's not against YouTube's TOS to promote fakes.

Meanwhile you can't play 10 seconds of any songs worth hearing, because it's taking food off the tables of musicians...
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

If it’s too good to be true - buyer beware!

By knowingly buying counterfeits you’re supporting the illegitimate business and taking business away from the legitimate company which owns the trademark, patent or copyright. Two-thirds of all counterfeit products come out of China.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wonder how many people have knowingly bought fakes and found that it was a POS knife and then wrote off Spyderco altogether thinking that it somehow reflected on the real thing?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:44 pm
I wonder how many people have knowingly bought fakes and found that it was a POS knife and then wrote off Spyderco altogether thinking that it somehow reflected on the real thing?
I thought about that too, orrrr people thinking those are actual Spyderco knives and thinking their junk. Then writing off Spyderco as a whole, though obviously if they looked at a reputable dealer website they'd see the huge difference in pricing.

-Rick
anycal

Post by anycal »

Devil's advocate, who is by no means a legal scholar, here.

Fake knife - sold as something it is not. A copy not made by the actual maker of the knife. Clearly illegal, no question.

Knock off knife - 'looks' like something else. If they are not braking any patent or trademark rules, is it illegal? Crossing into some gray area, obviously. Lazy in terms of development and design.

Both are bad, although one may or may not be illegal. Bad for the industry and their IP. Bad for the customer if you unknowingly buy a fake.

Personally, I have no interest in either. In an ideal world, neither would exist. All we can do is try to do the right thing, and educate others.
Last edited by anycal on Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:26 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:44 pm
I thought about that too, orrrr people thinking those are actual Spyderco knives and thinking their junk. Then writing off Spyderco as a whole, though obviously if they looked at a reputable dealer website they'd see the huge difference in pricing.

I'm sure both happen, along with people thinking there's just no way the price difference could mean the knife is that much better than the fake.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I bought a couple (I think $13 each) a couple of years ago, just because I had to see how bad they were. I knew without a doubt when I ordered them that they would be bogus. I suppose that just encourages these no-goods to keep at it, and therefore I should feel bad and deserve to be publicly shamed.

You know the saying, curiosity killed the cat. Anyway one won't even lock up reliably and is a hazard to anyone who would expect anything more than a slip joint knife. They are in the bogus boxes (I think) way in the back of my drawer-o-knives.
I should probably grind off the spyderco logo in case they fall into the hands of the enemy.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Rp5 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:10 pm
I wouldn't pay $20 for a knockoff knife because there's a baseline reason to distrust the parts going into it. Says it's a Spyderco, it's not, says it's S30V steel... probably not. Seems like the easiest way to end up with two $10 halves of a knife.

Don't get me wrong, I have beater knives that I paid under 50 bucks for which I'll use accordingly. If it's AUS-8, or D2, or 1095, I realize those have different toughness levels. If it's a knockoff, no matter how good the action is, no matter how good the grip feels, I'm not going to trust the blade to do anything.
There's exactly 0% chance that the fakes use S30V. They're already lying that the knife is a Spyderco. Why would they bother buying American steel, shipping it to China, pay more to heat treat it (assuming these blades are even heat treated) and grind it, etc.? There's no profit in that at $20.

Anyway, if someone only has ~$20 to spend, point them to a Byrd. The Cara Cara 2 I have is solid and a lot of knife for the money. I was curious about Spyderco's lower end line and it doesn't disappoint.
Monty

Post by Monty »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:11 am
What surprises me is that the factories making these don't just make their own knives. They obviously have the tools and skill to make at least halfway decent $20 gas station knives. And those would sell too (for similar prices) and build a brand.

I've bought some fairly decent China-made knives, running their own brand, with their own designs, with actual makers marks from the (Chinese) designers. That seems like a much better way to run a business.

I'd say that supporting the ethical Chinese manufacturers is at least as important as boycotting the forgeries--and boycotting the forgeries isn't hard because by and large they are very poor imitations.

In other words, why buy a fake PM2 when you could buy a real Tenacious?
Making clones is an easy way to build up funds, once they've got good equipment and can afford good materials, they can then start marketing knives under another brand name and go legit. It's also a moonlighting gig for those already in the business. There's a couple "respected" Chinese brands now that started out under questionable circumstances.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

If you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

If there are people who knowingly buy fake MEDICINES on the Internet because they cost a fraction of the price of the real ones, one should not get surprised if a moron buys a PM2 for $20 and thinks that he cut a really good deal.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Donut

Post by Donut »

Where did he get them?

Just kidding! :D
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

anycal wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:48 pm
Devil's advocate, who is by no means a legal scholar, here.

Fake knife - sold as something it is not. A copy not made by the actual maker of the knife. Clearly illegal, no question.

Knock off knife - 'looks' like something else. If they are not braking any patent or trademark rules, is it illegal? Crossing into some gray area, obviously. Lazy in terms of development and design.

Both are bad, although one may or may not be illegal. Bad for the industry and their IP. Bad for the customer if you unknowingly buy a fake.

Personally, I have no interest in either. In an ideal world, neither would exist. All we can do is try to do the right thing, and educate others.
So does the Brother model 1606 fall under the category of knock off, since it doesn't identify as a Spyderco P'Kal?

The photo is from a Chinese website selling assorted gear. I only stumbled across it while researching on the P'Kal.
Attachments
brother_model_1606_pkal_clone_06.jpg