Permanent damage that you've actually done to a knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Abyss_Fish

Re: Permanent damage that you've actually done to a knife?

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Worst I’ve done was break a tip on an old kershaw. That was a long time ago however.

If you have the right tool for the job you’ll never break it.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:56 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:30 pm
This is what I meant earlier. Got too overzealous in sharpening and actually managed to reprofile the belly on the Delica. Now it looks straight and angular. Not Spydielike at all.

Thanks for the pic, I was about to ask what you meant exactly after your first post about this. Now I see.

But I am interested: Does it really affect performance noticeably?

Hi Wartstein,

Well...a teeny tiny bit... I lost that precious Delica belly so when I make slicing cuts, paper, cardboard boxes, or other non fibrous material would slice properly on the straight edge, then stutter a bit when it reaches the angle separating the belly towards the tip. But worse of all, it doesn't look like a Delica at all! :( :( :(
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

When I was young and a genius I figured I could smooth out a rough and stiff, pinned back lock with a little valve lapping paste. :rolleyes:

About twenty five years ago, not long after loosing a much loved Gerber Pixie I started using its brother a Gerber Bird and Trout. These little fixed blades had very thin blade stock with a short tang, cast into aluminium handles. Anyhow, I figured the little knife would be the ticket to cutting up a car tyre to make a horse feeder and it would have been had I exercised a little care and not flexed it quite as much as I did. :eek: Ah, hahaha!
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

nerdlock wrote:
This is what I meant earlier. Got too overzealous in sharpening and actually managed to reprofile the belly on the Delica. Now it looks straight and angular. Not Spydielike at all.

At least you didn't do it to a somewhat hard to find M4 Manix 2 sprint.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:22 am
Shun chef's knife plus coconut plus hammer... It was then i learned that caveman way of doing things is wrong lol
🤣
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:24 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:22 am
Shun chef's knife plus coconut plus hammer... It was then i learned that caveman way of doing things is wrong lol
🤣
I'm happy to report that was over 5 years ago and that Shun is still going strong! 😂 Despite the half inch chip!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:40 pm

maybe I am a tool hoarder, never turned down an opportunity to purchase a new tool. Ive rounded some hex tips in RC with rusted screws that were stuck or that became cross threaded. I hit a stump with a lawnmower and bent the shaft and many a rock on those blades but im pretty meticulous with all my stuff. I expect things I buy to last though too and will hold up my end of that expectation by using things properly
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Nah, I’ve broke many tools that were just inferior.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Worst damage I ever done, was selling a knife for funds to buy another knife. So I quit doing that. I get tired of saying “wish I hadn’t let that one go”.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Used it too much, sharpened it too much, and now I have a Para3 blade in a PM2 handle. Makes for a more robust tip, I guess.

Peter
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

disassembled a titanium UKPK and the backspring broke :(
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I'm not tellin'
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Spyderhawk H1. When the Spyderhawk was first released in H1. Less than a week of owning it. I was cutting too close to a metal table. I underestimated how easily the Spyderhawk would cut. Passed right through what I was cutting, and right into the table.
It rolled about an 1/8" of the tip.

I learned the hard lesson of using cheap knives to practice mods on. Gayle Bradley, tried to force patina the blade. One side looks ok, one side pitted deeply and very uneven. Also, I let it sit on the paper towel too long. You can see the pattern of the paper towel weave in one spot.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:49 am
nerdlock wrote:

Yikes! Was this done on diamonds?
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Never in use, but once in storage. I had some knives in a plastic toolbox with a gasketed lid. A friend gave me a pouch of Damp Rid, a chemical dehumidifier, to protect my knives. So I put the packet in the toolbox with some knives.

Months later, I opened the box. To my dismay the knives were swimming in salt water. Damp Rid is calcium chloride. Evidently the gasket on the lid isn’t air tight, and humid air kept getting in and being captured by the salt. Cleaning the submerged knives fully remains uncompleted to this day.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:21 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:49 am
nerdlock wrote:

Yikes! Was this done on diamonds?

Yep. Somehow during reprofiling the bevel it developed a weird kink in the belly, almost like a tanto and the more I tried to fix it the worse it got.
~David
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Was that free hand or using a guided system?

Bill1170 - oof that's unfortunate - I lost some hand tools because aluminum thread tapping liquid spilled on a bunch of tools during a move and learned the hard way the stuff is corrosive. Silica gel is the way to go, damp rid is for rooms/vehicles
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:52 am
Was that free hand or using a guided system?

Edge Pro, but I have reprofiled so many knives on it I can't blame the sharpener.
~David
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
You mean I SHOULDN’T use a 10’ cheater on a 36” pipe wrench?!?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

You know I saw the comment about "if you have the right tool for the job, you'll never break it". That is entirely true and some genuine wisdom for sure. Words well spoken. Someone else once said that experience is proportional to the amount of ruined equipment you have left behind. This is only true if you learn from your mistakes. There are people who never seem to learn.

My permanent damage involved a Bow River. Mine was living in the kitchen and available to other family members for unsupervised use. Anyway, I found it one day with the tip bent. Somebody was using it to pry something! No telling who. So out to the workshop we go. Clamp the tip in the vise and grab the handle. One yank got it almost straight! But we couldn't leave it there. The second yank snapped the last 1/2 inch of the tip off. Anyway, I'm not entirely to blame. This is now turning into a further adventure with a belt sander to see it I can reshape the blade such that nobody would ever know. (ha ha ha) It is actually coming along. I am taking care to go slow and dip in water frequently to avoid getting it hot.