What’s up with the military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Re: What’s up with the military?

Post by RamZar »

The Military is one of my favorites and I still have and use the ComboEdge S30V Black G-10 which I got in September 2005 for $103!

There were 7 new Military models released from May 2016 to February 2019 all with CQI enhancements:

1. Military CTS-204P Dark Green G-10 C36GGRP KnifeWorks (USA) - MAY 2016
  2. Military 52100 Black CF C36CFP52100 Sprint (USA) - JUN 2016
  3. Military CPM-S110V Dark Blue G-10 C36GPDBL (USA) - AUG 2016
  4. Military CPM-M4 Natural G-10 C36GM4P BladeHQ (USA) - APR 2017
  5. Military CPM-S90V Black CF TitaniumI Reeve Integral Lock C36CFTIP KnifeWorks (USA) - MAY 2017
  6. Military CPM-REX45 Burnt Orange G-10 C36GPBORE Sprint (USA) - NOV 2018
  7. Military CPM-M4 Black DLC Blade Natural G-10 C36GM4PBK BladeHQ (USA) - FEB 2019
Nothing since February 2019 when the BladeHQ exclusive CPM-M4 black DLC blade with Natural G-10 was released.

The CQI enhancements came out in May 2016:

• Larger pivot torx head and on both sides
  • Larger lanyard hole
  • Stepped stop pin
  • New clip
  • Standoffs instead of the solid backspacer
Last edited by RamZar on Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx RamZar,

sal
clintonde

Post by clintonde »

I don't have any data to show this, but I think the reason the Para 3 didn't show up on the "favorite models" thread but has the most variants available right now is because it isn't necessarily popular with knife afi's but is very popular with the general public/more casual knife people. I think as knife afi's we look for knives that are more like the military/endura/police because we want as much knife as we can get/carry. But I think (again I have no data) that more casual knife people probably just want a small/light/ around $100 knife that they can rely on.

I know when I first got into knives most of the knives I was interested in were around 3" blades but now most of the knives I like are between 3.5"/4" (the max legal length where I live). This is all basically anecdote but it makes sense to me.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

clintonde wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:22 pm
I don't have any data to show this, but I think the reason the Para 3 didn't show up on the "favorite models" thread but has the most variants available right now is because it isn't necessarily popular with knife afi's but is very popular with the general public/more casual knife people. I think as knife afi's we look for knives that are more like the military/endura/police because we want as much knife as we can get/carry. But I think (again I have no data) that more casual knife people probably just want a small/light/ around $100 knife that they can rely on.

I know when I first got into knives most of the knives I was interested in were around 3" blades but now most of the knives I like are between 3.5"/4" (the max legal length where I live). This is all basically anecdote but it makes sense to me.

There's also legal restrictions in some jurisdictions where the blade length cannot exceed 3 inches.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Clintonde,

welcome to our forum.

sal
Maximumsmoochy

Post by Maximumsmoochy »

clintonde wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:22 pm

There's some sense to this - I certainly like the Military as I've become more comfortable with larger blades, and I use it as my "favourite" when I'm outdoors doing my favourite activities. It's the knife that can handle anything big/small/in between, etc. sing praises, love the Millie.

However the P3 is in my pocket way more and I appreciate it's brilliance as a compact knife that I can take to and use at work without scaring the folks around me/feeling like a dingus for carrying a sword in the office. I've also found that for my work and professional applications (I've used mine to scrape industrial adhesives and trim wire insulation) the small size was more appropriate than the Military might have been. I don't think the P3 is casual in terms of price or performance; it can be worked hard.

So P3 might not be my "favourite", but that's only because it is so good, so slick and so well used it blends into the background.

In fact, I'm going to bring love to the P3 on that favourite thread because today, I love my P3 best of all.
Past: Dragonfly, Air, Rhino, Lil' Native, Techno 2, Caly Jr., Brouwer, Chap LW, Para3, N5, Watu, ‘Chef, Mantra 2, SSStretch, PM2, Smock, Shaman, Advocate, GB2, Kapara, Military, Bradley Bowie, Province

Present: P4 K390 FRN

Future: Para3 Cruwear (someday)

Regrets: Most of them
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:19 pm
Thanx RamZar,

sal

Sal, care to drop a low-key bombshell and let us in on if there are any new Military models coming soon, exclusives or perhaps Reveal 7 (SPY27 or S45VN maybe?)?? The lack of Military options at the moment is indeed frustrating. I'm not personally interested in the S110V version, but even that is out of stock everywhere I have seen. I'll jump on pretty much anything new coming down the line in good ol Peel Ply G10 (or maybe Cru-carta??? :) ).
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:19 pm
sal wrote:
Thanx RamZar,

sal

Sal, care to drop a low-key bombshell and let us in on if there are any new Military models coming soon, exclusives or perhaps Reveal 7 (SPY27 or S45VN maybe?)?? The lack of Military options at the moment is indeed frustrating. I'm not personally interested in the S110V version, but even that is out of stock everywhere I have seen. I'll jump on pretty much anything new coming down the line in good ol Peel Ply G10 (or maybe Cru-carta??? :) ).

a regular production spy27 or s45vn version would be great. Those both seem like very "spyder-ish" steels on a very "spyder-ish" knife

and what would you think of a coated cruwear rough od green micarta model :D
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I'm just going to join the echo chamber saying that the current Military is perfect, and the only thing that is missing is more new steels. I'd like to see a smooth G10 Cruwear Military.
--Jeremy
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:34 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:19 pm
sal wrote:
Thanx RamZar,

sal

a regular production spy27 or s45vn version would be great. Those both seem like very "spyder-ish" steels on a very "spyder-ish" knife

and what would you think of a coated cruwear rough od green micarta model :D

Man, you are pretty new here, yet you already know me so well! You know i'd buy multiples of those! I really want to see some Gayle Bradleys in that combo too since you mentioned it! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:16 pm
The Military is one of my favorites and I still have and use the ComboEdge S30V Black G-10 which I got in September 2005 for $103!

There were 7 Military models released from May 2016 to February 2019 all with CQI enhancements:

1. Military CTS-204P Dark Green G-10 C36GGRP KnifeWorks (USA) - MAY 2016
  2. Military 52100 Black CF C36CFP52100 Sprint (USA) - JUN 2016
  3. Military CPM-S110V Dark Blue G-10 C36GPDBL (USA) - AUG 2016
  4. Military CPM-M4 Natural G-10 C36GM4P BladeHQ (USA) - APR 2017
  5. Military CPM-S90V Black CF TitaniumI Reeve Integral Lock C36CFTIP KnifeWorks (USA) - MAY 2017
  6. Military CPM-REX45 Burnt Orange G-10 C36GPBORE Sprint (USA) - NOV 2018
  7. Military CPM-M4 Black DLC Blade Natural G-10 C36GM4PBK BladeHQ (USA) - FEB 2019
Nothing since February 2019 when the BladeHQ exclusive CPM-M4 black DLC blade with Natural G-10 was released.

The CQI enhancements came out in May 2016:

• Larger pivot torx head and on both sides
  • Larger lanyard hole
  • Stepped stop pin
  • New clip
  • Standoffs instead of the solid backspacer
Not sure when it was released but in addition to the models listed I have a Ti/s30v Mille that has the CQI updated features.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

SPY 27 Military would be nice.
I still think that we get S45VN sprint run in the future.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

We probably aren't seeing any retailer exclusives on the Military because its easier/faster to move a block of exclusive Delica/Endura models at around the $100 mark than it is to move the same number of exclusive Military selling in the $200 range. Although all those Para2 exclusives sure seem to fly, and they are fast approaching the $200 mark.
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Having carried the Millie for a few months and used it for a lot of stuff like food prep, box breakdown, carving etc I must say it is the best knife I've handled so far.
Having large-ish hands the handle fits just right, never caused pain or discomfort.
The blade length is perfect for my uses, and the steel has amazed me time and time again.
Tip-down is my preferred carry method, and like many forumites I can draw and close it naturally without having to think about it. It sits just right in my front or back right pocket.
The ease of use with gloves is a big positive as I, on the other hand, have to wiggle my fingertip to operate a comp lock with any type of glove.
It is such a stout and reliable tool, I don't see what could possibly be improved about it. Apart from offering it in different steels.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

^
Thom knows what’s up. I feel pretty much the exact same way.

If most folks took the time to carry one and get used to it they would find it hard to go back to other knives. It just does everything well. It does seem big at first but that is mostly perspective. I find that the Military has a way of shrinking on you over time. Now a Para2 feels like a stubby Military to me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Do you prefer the Military to the PM 2?
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

bearrowland wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:19 pm
Hey Barry, I can only echo Killer's words above.

After carrying a Military for maybe a year or more I decided to carry my PM2 one day. I put it in my pocket and mustn't have opened it beforehand. After I got to work and did opened it, I had a little chuckle to myself. It felt quite strange like there was something missing. First thing I thought was where's the rest of the blade? :confused: Ah, hahaha!

Anyhow, that was a couple of years ago I s'pose and I've never carried or even used the PM2 since. There's nothing I particularly don't like about the PM2 but then again, there's nothing I overly like about it either. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

I really like the Mitary. I have carried larger knives most of my life and it just feels like a good size for me.

That said, I have been carrying the Para 3 in Spy-27 for the last two months straight and even though I did not like it at first, it has really grown on me. After mostly using larger knives, it felt much too small for my hands. After using it for a while I have found it to be really comfortable for my average day to day use, although I will reach for a larger knife if I am going to be doing much serious cutting.

I really like the way the P3 LW disappears into my pocket when I wear shorts but now that it is getting cooler and I am wearing jeans more again, it is time for the bigger knives like the Military to get some more pocket time.

I do prefer my knives tip up, and I do like new and interesting steel. I have been really enjoying the personality of the new SPY-27 and I can't think of anything more perfectly Spyderco than a tip up Military in SPY-27.
Attachments
20200921_192314.jpg
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

That’s what’s up with my military
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Thanks Bloke! I have to get one!!
Bloke wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:16 pm
bearrowland wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:19 pm
Hey Barry, I can only echo Killer's words above.

After carrying a Military for maybe a year or more I decided to carry my PM2 one day. I put it in my pocket and mustn't have opened it beforehand. After I got to work and did opened it, I had a little chuckle to myself. It felt quite strange like there was something missing. First thing I thought was where's the rest of the blade? :confused: Ah, hahaha!

Anyhow, that was a couple of years ago I s'pose and I've never carried or even used the PM2 since. There's nothing I particularly don't like about the PM2 but then again, there's nothing I overly like about it either. :)
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032