Dragonfly & Manbug K390

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Enactive

Re: Dragonfly & Manbug K390

Post by Enactive »

Cambertree wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:14 pm
Wow, I ordered the DF2, Delica and Manbug late last week, and received the package from KnivesShipFree yesterday!

Lightning quick shipping from KSF. From Tennessee to Melbourne, Australia in 5 days! :)

The Delica and Manbug are for a friend who seems to have bitten by the Spydie bug. ;) :D

The Dragonfly’s in my pocket. :cool: :spyder:

Very nice edge on it too. Thanks again, Buddafucco. :)
Nice, Cambertree! I know you've been anticipating the Dragonfly. :D :cool: :spyder:
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

Cambertree wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:14 pm
Wow, I ordered the DF2, Delica and Manbug late last week, and received the package from KnivesShipFree yesterday!

Lightning quick shipping from KSF. From Tennessee to Melbourne, Australia in 5 days! :)

The Delica and Manbug are for a friend who seems to have bitten by the Spydie bug. ;) :D

The Dragonfly’s in my pocket. :cool: :spyder:

Very nice edge on it too. And the Sal ‘glyph’ is a nice addition. Thanks again, Buddafucco. :)
Wow beautiful! That’s quite impressive with the fast shipment! Enjoy!
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Enactive wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:20 pm
Nice, Cambertree! I know you've been anticipating the Dragonfly. :D :cool: :spyder:
Cheers Enactive. :)

I’ve been using the CE 52100 PM2 for about three months now, as you know. At work I nearly always have a Dragonfly on me too - usually the ZDP189 or HAP40 versions.

I’m champing at the bit now to put the K390 one to work! :D

The edge is so nice, I just gave it a couple of super light passes on a 0.25 μm CBN emulsion sprayed strop, and I think I’ll try it out as is, for a few days, before I put it to the stones.
Blackpearl wrote: Wow beautiful! That’s quite impressive with the fast shipment! Enjoy!
Thanks Blackpearl. :)

Are you thinking of getting in on any of this K390 series?

I’d say it’s my favourite steel. Of course, there’s others I’d favour for particular purposes, but it’s hard to beat for a pocketknife bladesteel. As long as you’re ok with the little bit of extra maintenance required for non-stainless tool steels.

(Just did a quick updated count of the different steel grades in my knife accumulation, and it’s actually more than I thought - over 40! :rolleyes:)
Last edited by Cambertree on Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

So I just put the calipers to the K390 DF2 for the BTE Database thread, and it’s ground nice and thin.

I average three readings for behind the edge thickness, from just in front of the ricasso, in the middle of the blade and just behind the tip.

They came in at 0.017”, 0.016” and 0.015”, respectively.

Very nice work Spyderco and Seki! I’m happy with that. :cool: :spyder:

This is going to be a wicked slicer, just like the K390 Urban! ;) :)
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

Blackpearl wrote: Wow beautiful! That’s quite impressive with the fast shipment! Enjoy!
Thanks Blackpearl. :)

Are you thinking of getting in on any of this K390 series?

I’d say it’s my favourite steel. Of course, there’s others I’d favour for particular purposes, but it’s hard to beat for a pocketknife bladesteel. As long as you’re ok with the little bit of extra maintenance required for non-stainless tool steels.

(Just did a quick updated count of the different steel grades in my knife accumulation, and it’s actually more than I thought - over 40! :rolleyes:)
[/quote]

Hi!

I received my first K390 last week...I believe it was the Delica. I pre-ordered the Dragonfly but still no words on when it will shipped. Does this K390 steel comes in other knives?

Wow you have quite a collection! Are they all Spyderco? Do you use or collect? It’s quite addicting really. I’m fighting the urge to hoard!
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Blackpearl wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:51 am
Hi!

I received my first K390 last week...I believe it was the Delica. I pre-ordered the Dragonfly but still no words on when it will shipped. Does this K390 steel comes in other knives?

Wow you have quite a collection! Are they all Spyderco? Do you use or collect? It’s quite addicting really. I’m fighting the urge to hoard!
Nice score on the Delica! These will be some of the best performing ‘Endura family’ Seki knives that have been made so far, IMHO.

K390 first came out in the Pingo, Sal had made for the Edgematters forum members in the UK. I actually carried that as my EDC while I was travelling in Ireland and the UK. Ended up losing it at the KL airport in Malaysia. :(

Then there was the G10 Police 4 and the Urban.

BentoBoxShop still have their K390 PM2 and Para 3s with Ranger Green scales available.

And now the Seki Endura family line we’ve been eagerly awaiting...

Um, I don’t really collect knives, LOL. :rolleyes: :D

I’ve just somehow ended up with a bunch of them ‘cause I like learning about the history of edged tools, and different historical and cultural patterns, and metallurgy, and using nice knives at work, and for hunting and cooking and camping. :D

Regarding modern folders I’m pretty much ‘rusted on’ to Spyderco designs exclusively, but the traditional knives and regional patterns and kitchen knives and fixed blades are by all sorts of other makers. :)

I’ll be interested to hear how you like that Delica and Dragonfly once you’ve had a chance to use them a bit. You really got some good ones there. ;)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Logged into BladeHQ this morning and saw that my K390 Dragonfly finally shipped! Only took 4 months... :-)

Can't wait to put that blade & lockbar into some foliage green G-10!
Last edited by kennethsime on Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:27 am
Logged into BladeHQ this morning and saw that my K390 Dragonfly finally shipped! Only took 4 months... :-)

Can't wait to put that blade & locker into some foliage green G-10!
Congratulations! That’s a long time coming. Mine is still not shipped yet. So sad.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I got my D-fly yesterday from KSF. Centering is slightly off to the side but it doesn't really bug me. Overall very nice. Its been a while since I carried a d-fly and I forgot how small they were, especially compared to my endura that's been in my pocket.
Stuka

Post by Stuka »

Skidoosh wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:56 pm
I got my D-fly yesterday from KSF. Centering is slightly off to the side but it doesn't really bug me. Overall very nice. Its been a while since I carried a d-fly and I forgot how small they were, especially compared to my endura that's been in my pocket.
I just received mine today. My blade centering is also slightly off to the side, but I compared it to my VG10 and the position is nearly identical. Not a big deal. Maybe something in their manufacturing process tends to bias toward that side? The factory edge on it is outstanding though. Glad to have it in a second steel.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Got my Dragonfly today, looks great! Took the clip off and will start carrying it right away!

Also, a few of these are in stock at Campsaver and if you sign up for their text/email notifications you should be able to get 20% off (that's what I did when I pre-ordered mine a few months back).

SpyderCuse

Post by SpyderCuse »

A couple things. 1) I love that the Dragonfly can fully patina now. 2) You'll be hard pressed to find another little knife as tough as this one now that it has K390.

Did a handle swap with the Emerson opener d'fly and added a choil. I've been putting it to use as you can tell. :D

Attachments
Polish-20200920-012410013.jpg
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I just picked up a Manbug with K390 today. I ran it down the fine white Tri-Angles very lightly just to hit the high spots on the edge. It actually rolled the edge to one side slightly. I evened the edge out on the other Tri-Angle and called it good.

These are coming right out of the box with a very sharp, fine edge.
Zive

Post by Zive »

Anyone else notice some discrepancies between the official K390 composition and what's listed in the note from Spyderco?

https://imgur.com/UfxgBdN

That's a lot of copper for what should be a very hard steel
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Zive wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:46 pm
Anyone else notice some discrepancies between the official K390 composition and what's listed in the note from Spyderco?

I suspect that letter from Spyderco isn't correct.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Zive wrote:

https://imgur.com/UfxgBdN

That's a lot of copper for what should be a very hard steel
K390 seems to be a cousin of A11 and 10V.
According to zknives, composition is roughly,
carbon 2.5%
chromium 4.0%
molybdenum 4.0%
tungsten 1.0%
vanadium 9.0%
cobalt 2.0%
manganese ?
silicon 0.55%
sulphur ?

Looks like they might have mistook moly for copper, and vanadium for nickle.

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelg ... hrn=1&gm=0
Zive

Post by Zive »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:41 pm
Zive wrote:

I think you’re right, purchased from KC, so don’t believe it’s a knock-off, but didn’t see this typo addressed anywhere in the forum. Do other people have the same info in their boxes?
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Zive wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:50 pm
RustyIron wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:41 pm
Zive wrote:

I think you’re right, purchased from KC, so don’t believe it’s a knock-off, but didn’t see this typo addressed anywhere in the forum. Do other people have the same info in their boxes?

I just checked my K390 Dragonfly paperwork and it is the same as yours listing copper at 3.8% and Nickel at 9%. I honestly never looked at it! Must just be a typo.
Zive

Post by Zive »

Thanks for checking. The fact that my K390 Endura and Police both list Böhler’s stated composition made me wonder why the Dragonfly differed. Chalking it up to a misprint.