What has become of Bladeforums?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
prndltech

Re: What has become of Bladeforums?

Post by prndltech »

I’m only there for the use of the exchange...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Just a friendly reminder of Shiny Footprints.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

soc_monki wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:03 am
Ankerson wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:20 pm
Especially in Political from what I have seen over the years... Much more FAR RIGHT radical points of views are entertained and it's plainly obvious. So it's generally best to stay out of there as a general rule... Very radical and every conspiracy theory that you can dream of to support it... And those are protected who are that way, those who aren't tend to be threatened.... Even some long time members get threatened...... ;)

Just using it as an example of what can and does go on, nothing more than that... And it really is THAT bad.... But people are warned before they enter however... I think they need a Super MOD to spend a lot of time in there for awhile to level things out.... There are some MODS and they are level headed that do try to keep a lid on things, but it's very hard and really doesn't work most of the time...

Like I said before the other forums do tend to be better in most respects...
The political forum sounds like a dandy place to be! guess i better get over there and start working on my ban!!

just kidding! i stay away from those types of discussions. they never turn out well!

Yeah, it would likely be a short stay.. LOL

I tried to save a few people over time, telling them to read the rules very carefully and stick by them to the letter.

Didn't work though...

But yeah, it's best to stay out of those types of discussions as they do tend to end up bad and quickly. I suppose that is the main reason why it's not allowed here on Spyderco forums. :D

I spend some time in that sub forum every now and then to poke fun at the radicals, it's good sport really, they make it so easy as they aren't generally thinkers or think much at all, but it's not recommended as you have to walk a very fine line. :D

Overall BF is still a good forum and there are a lot of good people over there.

It is a very large forum with a lot of sub forums so it has a lot to offer. :)
Last edited by Ankerson on Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Personally, in all the years I’ve been a member there I’ve never had any problems with anyone on BF. Of course, I haven’t posted nearly as much as most seem to have. There are members who have been there for less than a year who have posted more than I have since I joined BF in 1998/1999.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:05 am
Personally, in all the years I’ve been a member there I’ve never had any problems with anyone on BF. Of course, I haven’t posted nearly as much as most seem to have. There are members who have been there for less than a year who have posted more than I have since I joined BF in 1998/1999.

Jim

I saw that too.

I always found that interesting that some people post that much..

I have about 21K posts on BF in 18 years.....
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Well I give up. I’ve tried to engage people on BF again but with no success. I was if the opinion there are morons over there, but I’ve changed my mind. I think the real problem is that they can’t read.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:50 pm
I’m only there for the use of the exchange...
That's pretty much why I renew my Gold Membership every year. But this last 6 months I didn't do much with it. My membership is up for renewal this month and I'm not sure I'm going to renew either.
The last two trade attempts I tried to do the people were wanting very lop sided trades. I always try to make it at least close to even when I can. And the attitudes of some of the people that get on the Spyderco sub-forum are getting more rude in many cases. I'm wondering if the moderators are even trying to keep any order at all over there.

I sure hope things change for the better because I've been a member there about as long as I have here.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

All the friends that I have made have been from the exchange. Doing some business is a good way to get to know some people over there.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I like how a few BF members say that only paying members’ opinions really count (NOT!). Although it’s never been directed towards me, it smacks of elitism.

As I’ve mentioned earlier, I’ve been a BF member since almost the very beginning, since late 1998 (although my profile says 1999). Call me cheap, but I’m not around BF as much, especially in recent years, and have never thought it worthwhile to upgrade to a paid membership. I’ve seen relatively new members with paid memberships there saying that the opinions of members who’ve been there MUCH longer than they have don’t count if they aren’t paid members. The ones with that attitude need to get off their high horses and get a life.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:22 am
I like how a few BF members say that only paying members’ opinions really count (NOT!). Although it’s never been directed towards me, it smacks of elitism.

As I’ve mentioned earlier, I’ve been a BF member since almost the very beginning, since late 1998 (although my profile says 1999). Call me cheap, but I’m not around BF as much, especially in recent years, and have never thought it worthwhile to upgrade to a paid membership. I’ve seen relatively new members with paid memberships there saying that the opinions of members who’ve been there MUCH longer than they have don’t count if they aren’t paid members. The ones with that attitude need to get off their high horses and get a life.

Jim

Jim,

They get banned just as fast as anyone else does.... ;)

Jim
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I like the forum and members here :)
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I've been a member at BF since 2005. I was sort of late to the whole online knife forums. Think I discovered them a year or 2 prior and just lurked. My main forums at the start was Knife Forums & the old Badlands forum. I then transitioned to Bladeforum & the USN. Made a few good friends on Knife Forums in the Outdoor Survival subforum from attending camping trips to practice what we preached (PWYP). Crazy when I think on it because a couple went on to write for knife magazines & 1 became involved in a machete company. The USN also use to have a great community with local meet & greets along with events at the BLADE show. Over the last several years it has sort of died down. The meet & greets in my area have become very infrequent & hastily announced. A lot of the makers I liked left for other online venues like Instagram.

Bladeforums had a lot of content, but it never had that sense of community - at least not in the forums I participated in. I will say there was always a more diverse amount of content. While it was larger, it also had the most amount of trolls & keyboard commandos. You also had to really look at the people buying & selling there closely.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I’ve never had a “problem “ with people there, but I’ve seen others getting attacked. A lot of my issues come from people not having good reading comprehension so that when I say something their response is way out in left field.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:19 pm
I’ve never had a “problem “ with people there, but I’ve seen others getting attacked. A lot of my issues come from people not having good reading comprehension so that when I say something their response is way out in left field.
Sounds like some programmers out there need to tweak their A.I. projects.

IMHO There's a lot of things that show up besides fan boys.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

shunsui wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:06 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

Reading comprehension is a lost skill no longer taught in schools because the teachers themselves do not have the skill. It is, therefore, no surprise that many of the posters cannot comprehend what is written and respond accordingly.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:58 pm
shunsui wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Reading comprehension is a lost skill no longer taught in schools because the teachers themselves do not have the skill. It is, therefore, no surprise that many of the posters cannot comprehend what is written and respond accordingly.

Add that to the fact people don't listen unless it's what they want to hear.

Same goes with reading, if it's not what they think they don't even comprehend it.

Completely ignoring facts is common place these days.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:48 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
shunsui wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Same goes with reading, if it's not what they think they don't even comprehend it.

Jim,

I couldn’t agree more. It’s become more and more evident in recent years. I’m not sure if those types are being purposely dense, or if they really are dense because they’re just wired differently. I’m certain it’s mostly the latter. I’m being kind here. Lots of people nowadays only seek out confirmation bias. I’m not necessarily talking about BF, but about people in general.

I’ve read some Amazon book reviews, where the reviewer gave a book a low rating and said, “As a man who likes to believe this phenomenon is a certain way, I can’t give this book more than 3 stars, because it doesn’t conform to my viewpoints.” I’m paraphrasing a tiny bit (I’m excluding what the book is about; it doesn’t matter, it could be about anything), but not by much.

It’s not just a lack of reading comprehension, either. People will twist the meaning of what somebody else says to mean what they want it to mean, instead of what was actually said.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:43 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:48 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
shunsui wrote:

Jim,

I couldn’t agree more. It’s become more and more evident in recent years. I’m not sure if those types are being purposely dense, or if they really are dense because they’re just wired differently. I’m certain it’s mostly the latter. I’m being kind here. Lots of people nowadays only seek out confirmation bias. I’m not necessarily talking about BF, but about people in general.

I’ve read some Amazon book reviews, where the reviewer gave a book a low rating and said, “As a man who likes to believe this phenomenon is a certain way, I can’t give this book more than 3 stars, because it doesn’t conform to my viewpoints.” I’m paraphrasing a tiny bit (I’m excluding what the book is about; it doesn’t matter, it could be about anything), but not by much.

It’s not just a lack of reading comprehension, either. People will twist the meaning of what somebody else says to mean what they want it to mean, instead of what was actually said.

Jim

Jim,

These days people tend to take way too many things at face value if it fits into their viewpoint and they do it without question.

That in itself is a massive problem....

Blindly taking things at face value without checking facts or even questioning it at all is just well, you know.... :D

It's not just BF, or here or wherever....

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

People with that type of mentality are the same as brainwashed cult members. I know a couple of people who are like that.

But methinks the subject is starting to drift way too OT from BF. :p

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:02 pm
People with that type of mentality are the same as brainwashed cult members. I know a couple of people who are like that.

But methinks the subject is starting to drift way too OT. :p

Jim
Jim,

I was just speaking in general terms... :D

That's how the mob mentality develops in general.... One of the issues on the forums.....

Jim