Permanent damage that you've actually done to a knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearrowland

Re: Permanent damage that you've actually done to a knife?

Post by bearrowland »

Same here Ric. No one outside of my immediate family gets to use my Spyderco's 😊, except my fellow forum members.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've chipped a lot of knives (S110v Manix 2, s30v Paramilitary, BD1n Manix 2...others but I'd have to sit down and think about exactly which) and rolled even more (South Fork, for example), but I don't really think of those as permanent damage, since I'm able to sharpen them out.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Broke the tip of a long loved BM 3300 auto. Dropped it off of a ladder onto concrete. My poor luck caused it to land tip down, now I have a "divers knife" with about 1/2" of point missing. I would have corrected it, but being a double bevel I didn't want to ruin the grinds and make it more of an atrocity. I have a K05 that also has a broken tip but that was from me trying to straighten a bent tip. Now it's the kid's blunt kitchen knife. They love SE now.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

About the only real damage I can think of is when I pretty much ruined a small Buck folder (Prince?) I've had since I was a kid. I tried to sharpen it with a cheap Lansky style sharpener with diamond hones. The belly was almost gone from the blade in a matter of minutes. It made me sick. I threw the sharpener in the garbage and ordered a Hapstone V7 soon after
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I learned the loaner lesson with a Benchmade auto. Loanee cut through wire ties on a child’s toy; I thought they were just zip ties. Big chip, lots of time on the stones to repair. Now I just say NO!

I’ve busted fine tips off, but quit misusing knives this way some time ago :D

I dropped my first Spydie SS Worker while closed, pivot end down on gravel. This dented the front edge of one scale, in effect peening a dent into the path of the blade. Next time I opened it, the dent forced the scales apart and the pivot was forever loose. Was a bummer, and Was also why I bought my next knife (and followed the path other than Spyderco for a while).
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Broke a couple blades and several tips.

On the flip side, I dropped a Benchmade mini afck with m2 blade 60 feet to a concrete floor.
It hit tip first and made a 3/8 inch deep gouge in the floor. There was concrete powder around the hole and on tip of knife. The tip stayed intact and straight, with very minor chips and dulling. 5 minutes on a diamond plate and you couldn’t tell it ever happened.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Nice! One of my last BMs is a 710HSSR, for a long time M2 was the bees knees :cool:
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

This Boker Top Lock was my main carry on a farm for about 6 years. Even used it as a makeshift hammer if it was necessary. The Kraton inserts eventually fell out, the screws disappeared one by one to the point that I used a COTTER PIN through the lanyard hole to keep the handle together. I wish I knew where I put the blade...

Talk about hard use. I don't think it gets any harder than farm labor. When you're out in a field with machinery, you use what you have. And even though it looks ugly, it took the abuse like a champ til the end. It became retired when the lock stopped working after I took it apart to clean the pivot one day. I'm sure I lost a small spring or something. RIP to that great beater knife.
Attachments
bok1.jpg
bok2.jpg
bok3.jpg
Last edited by BornIn1500 on Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

This is what I meant earlier. Got too overzealous in sharpening and actually managed to reprofile the belly on the Delica. Now it looks straight and angular. Not Spydielike at all.

8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Aside from using up an S90V Military? While I was in the Navy I was cutting insulation off a pipe and found a hanger/clamp that was completely covered. Snapped the blade of my Western drop point folding hunter almost exactly in half. Said a few bad words and finished the job with the same knife. I still have it, too.

Very few things are what I would consider permanent damage.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Lots of edge damage, a couple broken blades, broken blade tips, never broke a lock that I can remember but I've had several liner locks "bottom out" after lots of use. I once acid etched a Para 2 and really screwed it up and created so much blade play that the blade would jiggle in every direction and the compression lock tab was completely bottomed out against the other liner but it would still "lock" and function.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:12 pm
Nice! One of my last BMs is a 710HSSR, for a long time M2 was the bees knees :cool:
I had a pair of these. They were super steels before the term was as common as it is now.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I guess if I chip or roll the edge, I get to get some sharpening practice in - now to choose a user knife

nerdlock - how did you flatten out that part of your delica? Staying in one spot with some very coarse abrasives?

Benchmade used M2 long before it was cool to use tool steels - I guess once M4 because common, M2 just disappeared (like ATS 34/55, 440C and 154CM) ?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Yep. M4 > M2. M2 is as good as it ever was, but the constant march of higher spec steel leaves perfectly capable steels in the dust. I’m guilty of chasing a spec too, as long as the sharpening’s good ;)
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:16 pm
I guess if I chip or roll the edge, I get to get some sharpening practice in - now to choose a user knife

nerdlock - how did you flatten out that part of your delica? Staying in one spot with some very coarse abrasives?

Benchmade used M2 long before it was cool to use tool steels - I guess once M4 because common, M2 just disappeared (like ATS 34/55, 440C and 154CM) ?
It was my first time to use an edge pro apex clone commonly found on Amazon and the stones weren't too good at all, couldn't get a decent burr. So I spent a few more minutes on the belly section, got too preoccupied, and then what do you know, the curve got flattened. Lol. Good thing it was on my beater Delica, but still.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:29 pm
This Boker Top Lock was my main carry on a farm for about 6 years. Even used it as a makeshift hammer if it was necessary. The Kraton inserts eventually fell out, the screws disappeared one by one to the point that I used a COTTER PIN through the lanyard hole to keep the handle together. I wish I knew where I put the blade...

Talk about hard use. I don't think it gets any harder than farm labor. When you're out in a field with machinery, you use what you have. And even though it looks ugly, it took the abuse like a champ til the end. It became retired when the lock stopped working after I took it apart to clean the pivot one day. I'm sure I lost a small spring or something. RIP to that great beater knife.
Very cool. I love hearing and seeing about knives like that. :cool:

Nice field repair with that cotter pin too. :) ;)
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Slightly OT - sorry OP - but this thread got me thinking about the damage that other people have done to knives. :D

I was talking with a friend about my rule of no lending my knife to anyone but a select handful of people.

She mentioned that once at work, one of her workmates asked to borrow her G10 Dragonfly, then proceeded to lay a large sheet of thin rubber on the shop floor and went to make a metre/yard long cut, with the concrete as backing. :eek:

My friend snatched back the knife so fast, her workmate’s eyes were like dinner plates, looking at her empty hand, like a cartoon! :D

She now applies the same rule. :D ;)

Another friend has a favourite Wusthof chef knife which I sharpen for him, that he’s had for years, since he worked in professional kitchens.

One day when we were having a few beers, he brought it out and showed me it was bent like a banana in the top third of the blade. One of his housemates had used it to pry open a dried paintcan lid. Another time he caught her using it like an icepick in a frenzied overhand, Psycho style stabbing flurry, to break apart some food from the deep freezer!

Next time I visited, she had ‘decided to move out’, LOL. :D

Once at a family gathering, my mother asked to borrow my pocket knife, a thinly ground traditional Lambsfoot. Without thinking, I handed it over. She turned her back to me and went to use it to pry open the screwtop lid on a jar of olives! It still has the bent tip from that day. :mad:

And I’ve told this next story before, I think.

I bought my dad a handforged Japanese damascus gyuto. Now, I should mention that before he retired, he actually used knives in his food production business, and had a traditional Japanese knife that we kids were not allowed to touch.

Next time I saw him, I asked him how he was liking the knife.

He replied that it wasn’t ‘a very good screwdriver’! :eek: :D

The mind truly boggles, thinking of how someone could pick up a thinly ground damascus Japanese chef knife to tighten a loose screw with. But I guess we’re not all knife knuts.

I reground the snapped tip on that one, and returned it to him with a choice lecture, and a cheap flathead screwdriver! :D ;)

Here it is, in for resharpening:

Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I've lost some tips, one due to dropping it in a tiled floor. Got lucky and only lost about 1 mm. Accidentally cut into a screw I didn't know was in a piece of wood, that took some sharpening to get out...

A long time ago I battoned a pm2 and managed to put some marks on the lock face of the knife when the lock failed. I was going to say when I was young and stupid but but I was far from young enough to warrant that kind if stupidity! :p
/ David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:30 pm
This is what I meant earlier. Got too overzealous in sharpening and actually managed to reprofile the belly on the Delica. Now it looks straight and angular. Not Spydielike at all.

Thanks for the pic, I was about to ask what you meant exactly after your first post about this. Now I see.

But I am interested: Does it really affect performance noticeably?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I’ve ruined a number of liner locks using the knives hard. Usually the lock would wedge between the blade and liner on the right side looking from the bottom. I have snapped a fixed blade in half doing things I’d used a Buck 110 to do. Broken teeth on serrations, many dings in edges too deep to work out practically. But, I don’t have those jobs and lifestyle any longer so knives are pretty safe.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050