A couple Police4 G10 / LW Questions...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JMM

A couple Police4 G10 / LW Questions...

Post by JMM »

With the bombshell dropped a few weeks back that Sal had given the green-light to start production of SE K390 blades for the Police4 LW model, I also went ahead and picked up another Police4 G10 just to house one of these SE K390 blades. (I have swapped the K390/VG10 blades between my G10 & LW models with absolutely perfects results)

Anyhow, to my question for the group:

Has anyone heard if there be a Police4 LW SE VG10 model produced? I remember it was being discussed in the SSS-XL thread but never really solidified one way or the other (that I recall)

With the very unexpected drop of KC's Pakkawood P4 model, which has given hope to a number of P4 G10 fanboys around here that the Police4 G10 might not be completely gone for good...? So might we see either a Police4 G10 SE K390, or a Police4 G10 SE/PE with a different steel? As always, thank you for your time everyone...

Cheers,

John
vivi

Re: A couple Police4 G10 / LW Questions...

Post by vivi »

I follow any news of this model closely.

Based on what I've read the following seems to be happening:

1. G10 Police 4 is done as a standard production model, with sprints remaining a possibility.

2. The K390 PE Police 4 lightweight was in the last reveal and will likely be out by 2021.

3. There has never been any mention on a SE VG10 Police 4 of any kind, lightweight or G10, but many of us hope to see it as a standard model some day.

4. I've read some posts from Sal stating they were testing serrated K390 but I must have missed the post saying they were greenlit for production. This is great news, it'll be interesting seeing the performance of such a fine steel in SE.
:unicorn
JMM

Post by JMM »

vivi wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:02 pm

1. G10 Police 4 is done as a standard production model, with sprints remaining a possibility.

2. The K390 PE Police 4 lightweight was in the last reveal and will likely be out by 2021.

3. There has never been any mention on a SE VG10 Police 4 of any kind, lightweight or G10, but many of us hope to see it as a standard model some day.

4. I've read some posts from Sal stating they were testing serrated K390 but I must have missed the post saying they were greenlit for production. This is great news, it'll be interesting seeing the performance of such a fine steel in SE.
So here's Sal's bombshell on the Police4 LW - SE K390 blades getting the green-light
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17653&start=2520#p1447342

The P4LW SE VG10 was discussed in the SSS / SSS-XL thread, I'm looking for the exact link....
JMM

Post by JMM »

JMM wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:11 pm
vivi wrote:

So here's Sal's bombshell on the Police4 LW - SE K390 blades getting the green-light

The P4LW SE VG10 was discussed in the SSS / SSS-XL thread, I'm looking for the exact link....
I too follow news on this model as closely as I can, The Police4 G10 & Ulize are probably the two best ergos for my really wide paws that I've ever held, and I am super fond of the Police3 G10 PE/SE as well...
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Quoting Sal from bladeforums August 24, 2020, "In my opinion, the P4 is the most functional and to be honest, I designed the P4 primarily for high performance EDC despite its large size. I carry one quite a bit, and I just approved of a serrated K390 version."

I don't know if that counts as a production green light though.
•• Beau
JMM

Post by JMM »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:18 pm
Quoting Sal from bladeforums August 24, 2020, "In my opinion, the P4 is the most functional and to be honest, I designed the P4 primarily for high performance EDC despite its large size. I carry one quite a bit, and I just approved of a serrated K390 version."

I don't know if that counts as a production green light though.
Hmmm... to me "just approved of a serrated K390 version" would seem to indicate that but I guess I could be wrong. Well, worst case scenario I'll have an extra Police4 G10/K390, which I honestly don't mind in the slightest... still, fingers crossed on a SE K390 and/or SE VG10 model for a blade to swap in the future... :) :rolleyes: ;)
vivi

Post by vivi »

JMM wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:11 pm
vivi wrote:

Hah, you can tell where my head is at these days. I even replied to that thread.

Either way I've been enjoying the K390 G10 model a lot lately and I'm 100% on board for trying it in a serrated blade.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I also really want a serrated vg10 police 4 lightweight.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Just to add, I believe the plan is that the Police 4 G-10 is going to be phased out.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
vivi

Post by vivi »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:36 am
I also really want a serrated vg10 police 4 lightweight.
Same. I've been hoping to see that as a regular offering regardless of what happens with any SE K390 variant.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I can't wait for the k390 p4 lw, I wish they would do another G10 run with the blue color
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JMM,

We tested K390 with the G-10 Police 4. That was the result of 2 years of my researching and testing the steel and another year to give the maker time to learn processing of the steel. Making G-10 knives in Seki has proven to be above the threshold of what our customers can/will pay for the piece. We do it mostly to test the design in the market place. Even if we don't get good sales, we get feedback.

Knowing this, we bit the bullet and made tooling for the Police 4 in FRN so we could deliver the design with a better price tag. As Jon said, I do expect the G-10 version will eventually phase out and the P4 in FRN will be the standard version in VG-10 and K390. That was our plan from the git/go, though I must confess it was more my plan than the group plan.

It is hard to imagine, but all of this is much harder to actually get done than it might appear. There are a multitude of
adversities that must be overcome. Once we had all of ducks in a row, we learned that the production of K390 was still 6 months away, which sidelined the project for six months.

We're actually employing Global manufacturing with this one model; design, QC, distribution in Golden, Steel from Europe, construction in Japan. Kinda like a global version of a Rubix cube that's constantly changing.

Now we're learning that Bohler-Uddeholm had not planned to make as much K390 as we planned to build and not as quickly as were our needs.

"Tis a Puzzlement"

sal
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I guess we’ll just have to settle for a serrated vg10 p4 LW.... I’m actually more interested in that! :D
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:45 pm
Hi JMM,

We tested K390 with the G-10 Police 4. That was the result of 2 years of my researching and testing the steel and another year to give the maker time to learn processing of the steel. Making G-10 knives in Seki has proven to be above the threshold of what our customers can/will pay for the piece. We do it mostly to test the design in the market place. Even if we don't get good sales, we get feedback.

Knowing this, we bit the bullet and made tooling for the Police 4 in FRN so we could deliver the design with a better price tag. As Jon said, I do expect the G-10 version will eventually phase out and the P4 in FRN will be the standard version in VG-10 and K390. That was our plan from the git/go, though I must confess it was more my plan than the group plan.

It is hard to imagine, but all of this is much harder to actually get done than it might appear. There are a multitude of
adversities that must be overcome. Once we had all of ducks in a row, we learned that the production of K390 was still 6 months away, which sidelined the project for six months.

We're actually employing Global manufacturing with this one model; design, QC, distribution in Golden, Steel from Europe, construction in Japan. Kinda like a global version of a Rubix cube that's constantly changing.

Now we're learning that Bohler-Uddeholm had not planned to make as much K390 as we planned to build and not as quickly as were our needs.

"Tis a Puzzlement"

sal
I cannot thank you enough for the transparency you demonstrate in relaying the behind the scenes info to us forum users. This place is special for many reasons, and this is up at the top of the list.

I look forward to buying a SE Police whenever they're available. The P4 is a home run design.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I have a question about my Police 4 Lightweight...

The lock bar seems to be standing slightly above the FRN in the open and closed position. The blade is also not flush with the lock bar when open. I couldn’t get a good picture it’s a very small amount, about half a millimeter or so.

Lockup is solid / no blade play.

Is my Police 4 Lightweight flawed or is this normal? I’ve owned it too long to get it replaced that’s for sure.

It doesn’t seem to be like this on my Pacific Salt LC200N or my 2 Delicas. The lock bar standing a little proud doesn’t bother me I’m just curious.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

My lockbar is not above the FRN, though the blade is not 100% flush with the lockbar when open. This is very minor and I am not concerned by this.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:38 pm

The lock bar seems to be standing slightly above the FRN in the open and closed position. The blade is also not flush with the lock bar when open. I couldn’t get a good picture it’s a very small amount, about half a millimeter or so.

Is my Police 4 Lightweight flawed or is this normal? I’ve owned it too long to get it replaced that’s for sure.

It doesn’t seem to be like this on my Pacific Salt LC200N or my 2 Delicas. The lock bar standing a little proud doesn’t bother me I’m just curious.
I don't have a P4, but I have a couple other seki frn models that are like that - the lockbar is just a tad higher than the scale. My Pac Salt 2 is like that (I swapped blades btw two Pac Salt 2s, in fact, and they were both like that, actually).
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:11 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:38 pm

I don't have a P4, but I have a couple other seki frn models that are like that - the lockbar is just a tad higher than the scale. My Pac Salt 2 is like that (I swapped blades btw two Pac Salt 2s, in fact, and they were both like that, actually).
The lockbar on my P4 sits flush, but like Julia, I've had other Seki models with lockbars that don't sit flush. The action and lockup weren't affected. If anything, I see it as more room for wear.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Thanks everyone, good to know I’m not the only one experiencing this.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”