DLT Exclusive Delica OD Green FRN and Coated Cruwear

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
infinkc

Re: DLT Exclusive Delica OD Green FRN and Coated Cruwear

Post by infinkc »

chrisjohn wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:38 am
Why haven't these sold out?

Vendor didn't hold 50% back to drip onto Ebay?
Even the last Cruwear delica took a few days to sell out, this one is a tad more also. Would think since there are so many spydercos dropping people are now just saving for ones they really want instead of buying all of them. Take the Fradon lock delica for example, thae carbon hap40 was a steal at cheaper than this cruwear, but it took forever to sell out.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

chrisjohn wrote:

Name one dealer that does this. I'll wait.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:04 am
chrisjohn wrote:

Yeah, I don't get this accusation. Vendors can set their own prices (think BBS or the little shops that sell at full msrp). If a vendor wanted to make more money, they could just raise their prices. Why go to ebay and pay the 10% + fees???
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:21 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:04 am
chrisjohn wrote:

Yeah, I don't get this accusation. Vendors can set their own prices (think BBS or the little shops that sell at full msrp). If a vendor wanted to make more money, they could just raise their prices. Why go to ebay and pay the 10% + fees???

Yeah, no one is doing this. Dealers want to turn these as quickly as possible to get their investment back and reinvest it in something else. Only BBS thinks its a great idea to hold hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of inventory and sell one knife a day just to squeeze an extra few bucks per knife. :rolleyes:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm going to guess it's because it's a Delica, and not a trendy knife with a comp lock. If this were a Para 3 or PM2 it would have sold out in minutes, regardless of price.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:00 am
I'm going to guess it's because it's a Delica, and not a trendy knife with a comp lock. If this were a Para 3 or PM2 it would have sold out in minutes, regardless of price.

How many "Lots!" is is anyone's guess, but it sounds like the prepared accordingly knowing this one would be popular. I don't think they will last long once they start getting out into the hands of people posing them for glamour shots on social media. That should help sell the rest of them! :rolleyes:

WHEN: September 15th @ 11:00AM Central
WHERE: Only at dlttrading.com - LINK WILL BE IN BIO
PRICE: $115.50
HOW MANY: Lots!
RESTRICTIONS: Two per household
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I kind of hope they will do an Endura in this configuration.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:44 am

I kind of hope they will do an Endura in this configuration.

I don't just "kind of hope" this..this is my dream knife! My grail! Please DLTJordan hook us up with an Endura! Lower the run to the minimum quantity if you have to, but please make it happen! :D
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

chrisjohn wrote:
Price in my opinion. The expensive Delica exclusives have moved slowly so far.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:58 am
chrisjohn wrote:
Agreed, it was more than I hoped to spend on it. However, I said I would buy Cruwear models if they made them, and they have so I kept my word. Still, other LW models have sold out at similar to higher prices so there is likely more to it than just price. :confused:
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:46 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:58 am
chrisjohn wrote:
Agreed, it was more than I hoped to spend on it. However, I said I would buy Cruwear models if they made them, and they have so I kept my word. Still, other LW models have sold out at similar to higher prices so there is likely more to it than just price. :confused:

Probably a few things to it. Here is my hot take. ;)

In the simplest supply/demand scenario, the demand for an OD Green Cruwear TiCN knife at $115.50 may have been ~900 knives. If they had done a run of 600, it would have sold out in minutes and we would have been all like "man! that was crazy! these are soo popular!". But on a run of 1,200, there are now 300 knives sitting in their inventory unsold and we are all like "man, why doesn't anyone want these knives??!? they are soo cool! what is the problem here???" We just don't know how many they ordered. They said "Lots!", which to me indicates 1,200 or more.

The Cruwear Delica from last year sold out same day at pretty much every dealer, but that may have been a small run. It sure felt like a much smaller run. They sold out in minutes at a lot of dealers. A lot of Delica fans and Cruwear fans already have last years Delica, so that probably contributed to fewer purchases on these.

There are also a bunch of new Delicas just released or around the corner. K390, CTS-204P, and the upcoming Pink models. Plus 3 different GITD models in the past year, the S90V one, and the Cruwear one last year. Even the most hardcore Delica fan can have trouble keeping up with this many releases.

Price: I'm actually good with the price on this one. It is the same as the K390 Delica, and this one is coated. If the K390 Delica was coated it would be even higher. For people not obsessed with the Delica or obsessed with Cruwear, the price probably feels a little steep though compared to the Golden LW models, which people seem to put on a pedestal compared to the Seki models.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:02 pm

Probably a few things to it. Here is my hot take. ;)

Yeah, I'm thinking along similar lines. To be honest, I wish all Sprints/Exclusives would go like this so that people can think about their purchases rather than stampeding to grab one before they sell out.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

They sell ... just not at the instantaneous pace we have seen with some other models.

The grey FRN Cruwear has probably been the strongest selling of the more recent Delicas.

MassDrop sold quickly but not instantaneous. KW, REC, Fraddon all lowered price from their initial offering to facilitate sales. BBS Delica has been around for a while, and Zome(s) (CS and GITD) move a bit slower too. Teal was around for a little but it did disappear as they all seem to do.

I too appreciate that one has time to consider the purchase and the opportunity to purchase others at a later date if interested.

CG

Edit: P.S. We know that the KW204p is 600 units and 150 were presold in about 12 hours (I think)??? Can start the timer for the remainder when they drop.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

A dealer exclusive that's been around for 2 days??? To me that says one thing: DLT actually ordered enough to meet demand. Excellent and thank you, DLT! It's awesome that people can think about it for a bit before buying, or that people who might see one for the first time in the wild (read: instagram ;) ) can still get one even if they didn't know about the initial drop. I have no doubt the rest will sell out soon, and I hope other seki models will follow!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

chrisjohn wrote:

On the second question, I doubt DLT would do that. I had several orders from them already and they have been nothing short of outstanding with regards to customer service. As a dealer you would want your products to sell as quickly as possible to quickly recover capital cost and make a profit.

Okay...now my take. There's a very real, large community out there of purely PM2/Para3 collectors who chase each and every exclusive/sprint variant of the Military family, but mostly PM2s and Para3s. Some of them are known to buy the hard-to-find/discontinued ones for double or even triple the selling price during drop day. Scalpers saw the demand and have already various systems in place (bots/scripts/multiple accounts) in order to get as many PM2/P3 exclusives during D-day in order to resell this at Ebay and other secondary market sites at a profit.

Basically, if this was another PM2/P3 exclusive, it won't take 5 minutes (and several server crashes) to sell these out.

Its a sad system nowadays, that casual collectors and afi's who do not have the time to wait out a drop because of work and family commitments are outgunned by these scalpers who have various means to get a copy of an exclusive or more. It even sucks for overseas afi's like us who like in an opposite timezone. I know it's just capitalism, but I wish something could be done so that the playing field in getting exclusives for the Military series would be more even.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I caved and bought one.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
K-bar1999

Post by K-bar1999 »

I would never buy from them DLT again period
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

K-bar1999 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:01 am
Why not?? DLT is wonderful!! I've dealt with them over 10 times now, no complaints from this guy.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
abiggs

Post by abiggs »

Why not?? DLT is wonderful!! I've dealt with them over 10 times now, no complaints from this guy.
[/quote]

Same here, they are a first class dealer and have been for a long time.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

K-bar1999 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:01 am
Lol Okay... where did that come from? No elaboration? (This really isn’t the place for this anyways)

I, as well as countless other members here have received nothing beyond spectacular customer service. Jordan has gone above and beyond to make sure I was happy, and as a result... I keep buying from DLT. This is the first time I’ve ever seen/heard anything short of that.

Can’t wait for my cruwear delica to arrive!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006