Poster Boy for NEJM

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Poster Boy for NEJM

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I wasn't able to do much yeseterday because I was "under the Knife" instead of researching them>> and I hope my C-60 Ayoob thread is still going steady. Because Yesterday ( 09-14-20) I was on my third surgery of this year 2020. I had a foot surgery in January and a major shoulder surgery in May. And to make matters worse in on 08-07-20 I had a freak accident and fell face first into a concrete driveway which resulted in 3 fractures in my nose as well as torn septum. It also damaged my relatively fresh shoulder surgery that I just had in May ( which had to be done again). That was the surgery I had yesterday :eek:

Well yesterday they gave me a total left shoulder replacement on top of everything else I've been hit with this year which should more than enough to qualify me to be the 2020 Poster Boy For the prestigious "New England Journal of Medicine" :o I've also heard that JAMA ( Journal OF The American Medical Association) is also taking special interest in the case as well :D .

On my way home from the Hospital yesterday I was getting depressed and had one of those "LIFE AIN'T FAIR MOMENTS". But when I got home and read through three of my news websites I realized that with all the horrific stuff going down on the planet I really don't have it too awful bad as one might think. But on another angle if I didn't know better I would believe that an entire coven of witches is taking some sort of ultra-wicked revenge against me for some strange reason :eek: .

Now if I could get that award as Poster Boy of the New England Journal Of Medicine I might get enough payback to buy some of these Spyders I'm behind on :cool: . It's been a strange and tumultuous year for a lot of us here in the Good Ol' USA. But I'm home and I'm back to my Spyderville duties and I'm going to try to put of all that behind me.

CRIPES!!!! This whole year has been a harsh reality soap opera :o :D Please tell me I'm not alone :D :D
JonLeBlanc

Re: Poster Boy for NEJM

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Jeezus! Well, you're still on the thin crust of a rotating ball of magma, so all-in-all, still positive.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

God bless you JD! I hope you can steer clear of the medics for a long time sir!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

One of our neighbors was complaining about the water discharge from our sump pump. Too much water on her property although 100% legal and proper. We don't have a lot of options because the property is about 1/2 and acre or smaller, so I routed the discharge out over the edge of our driveway.

I kept an eye on it. The discharge was not just water. I saw sediment in the discharge.

Then, quite some time later, I was out pulling in the garbage cans, and I saw a used face mask on the lawn approx 25 ft away, so I went to go pick it up. I stepped in to the wet silt, and BAM! I went down harder than I've ever been thrown in Hapkido or Judo right on to the wet concrete.

For the first month, I did not walk much at all. It messed up the entire right side of my body. It took a full 3 months to achieve significant recovery. I still have an issue with my right arm and it's been 4 months.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:33 pm
One of our neighbors was complaining about the water discharge from our sump pump. Too much water on her property although 100% legal and proper. We don't have a lot of options because the property is about 1/2 and acre or smaller, so I routed the discharge out over the edge of our driveway.

I kept an eye on it. The discharge was not just water. I saw sediment in the discharge.

Then, quite some time later, I was out pulling in the garbage cans, and I saw a used face mask on the lawn approx 25 ft away, so I went to go pick it up. I stepped in to the wet silt, and BAM! I went down harder than I've ever been thrown in Hapkido or Judo right on to the wet concrete.

For the first month, I did not walk much at all. It messed up the entire right side of my body. It took a full 3 months to achieve significant recovery. I still have an issue with my right arm and it's been 4 months.
I hear you loud and clear Brother because when I finally got the strength to get up after falling face first into hard concrete there was blood literally spraying out of both my nostrils. That's probably the first time I literally cried in some time. So I know exactly what you were feeling. I don't think if Mike Tyson were to slug me about 4 times it would hurt much worse.

The paramedics on the scene insisted on taking me to highly rated trauma center instead of my local hospital. They had a heck of time just to stop the profuse bleeding. They were a great paramedic team>>probably the best I've ever seen. I had stitches all across my face and nose. It was about a week before I could even take a walk around the block.

and the shoulder surgery I had in May was completely messed up. that was the worst of it. It sounds like you also might be a candidate for that Poster Boy slot with the New England Journal Of Medicine :eek:
James Y

Post by James Y »

Wishing you all the best, Joe. It’s definitely been a rough time for you.

Have you considered using a walking stick, at least some of the time? Not necessarily like a cane, but a walking stick. I carry one with me on my walks. A few years ago, on an early-morning walk, I tripped over a bump in the road and was falling face-first towards the road, but luckily my body remembered the Judo “front fall” technique I learned as a kid, and I landed without injury, except for scraped hands. But it could have been much worse. So now I always carry my 51” (cut for my size) walking stick, just as an added safety. I just carry it with me, not hobbling with it. Mine is made by Brazos Walking Sticks, and is a solid piece of hickory. Also makes a good legal SD weapon/short staff, if you know how to use it as such. It took me awhile to get used to carrying it. But now, I couldn’t imagine going on a walk without it. But I will not carry a cane.

Surgery is no fun. A couple years ago, I had to have an operation on a hernia that reopened; I originally had it fixed when I was a toddler. I never took the pain pills after the surgery; I didn’t want the drugs in my system. But it’s nothing like you’ve been through.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:51 pm
I hear you loud and clear Brother because when I finally got the strength to get up after falling face first into hard concrete there was blood literally spraying out of both my nostrils. That's probably the first time I literally cried in some time. So I know exactly what you were feeling. I don't think if Mike Tyson were to slug me about 4 times it would hurt much worse.

The paramedics on the scene insisted on taking me to highly rated trauma center instead of my local hospital. They had a heck of time just to stop the profuse bleeding. They were a great paramedic team>>probably the best I've ever seen. I had stitches all across my face and nose. It was about a week before I could even take a walk around the block.

and the shoulder surgery I had in May was completely messed up. that was the worst of it. It sounds like you also might be a candidate for that Poster Boy slot with the New England Journal Of Medicine :eek:
Sorry that you had that fall. As we get older for some reason the innate mechanisms that have balanced us for 40 50 60 years no longer work when we need them the most.

More activity is called for, not less. I am saving for a few things, one of them a kickboxing bag...that ought to get some of the balance back.

Don't give up! Get active.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:08 pm

Have you considered using a walking stick, at least some of the time? Not necessarily like a cane, but a walking stick. I carry one with me on my walks. A few years ago, on an early-morning walk, I tripped over a bump in the road and was falling face-first towards the road, but luckily my body remembered the Judo “front fall” technique I learned as a kid, and I landed without injury, except for scraped hands. But it could have been much worse. So now I always carry my 51” (cut for my size) walking stick, just as an added safety. I just carry it with me, not hobbling with it. Mine is made by Brazos walking sticks, and is a solid piece of hickory. Also makes a good legal SD weapon/short staff, if you know how to use it as such. It took me awhile to get used to carrying it. But now, I couldn’t imagine going on a walk without it.

Surgery is no fun. A couple years ago, I had to have an operation on a hernia that reopened; I originally had it fixed when I was a toddler. I never took the pain pills after the surgery; I didn’t want the drugs in my system. But it’s nothing like you’ve been through.
What happened to me Jim was that I was walking through some tall grass and there was some type of metal stake, possibly some type of surveyor's stake that was hidden and my foot/shoe got caught and I went down face first at a pretty hard forward momentum. It felt like someone smacked me with a ball bat when I was able to get up. It was truly a freak accident. I had been through this area dozens of times without incident.

I had to literally clean the blood off my cell phone in order to make the 911 call because the blood was literally pouring out of my nostrils. They checked me at the Emergency Room to see how much blood I lost. These Shoulder surgeries are truly horrible. My knee replacements were not nearly as painful as these two shoulder surgeries. They got me on some high powered pain relievers but they only last for 20 to 30 minutes and the pain is back full strength. I had to do something funny just to get my mind off this crap. But I do indeed feel like the POSTER BOY for the New England Journal of Medicine :o
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:55 pm
Well I wasn't able to do much yeseterday because I was "under the Knife" instead of researching them>> and I hope my C-60 Ayoob thread is still going steady. Because Yesterday ( 09-14-20) I was on my third surgery of this year 2020. I had a foot surgery in January and a major shoulder surgery in May. And to make matters worse in on 08-07-20 I had a freak accident and fell face first into a concrete driveway which resulted in 3 fractures in my nose as well as torn septum. It also damaged my relatively fresh shoulder surgery that I just had in May ( which had to be done again). That was the surgery I had yesterday :eek:

Well yesterday they gave me a total left shoulder replacement on top of everything else I've been hit with this year which should more than enough to qualify me to be the 2020 Poster Boy For the prestigious "New England Journal of Medicine" :o I've also heard that JAMA ( Journal OF The American Medical Association) is also taking special interest in the case as well :D .

On my way home from the Hospital yesterday I was getting depressed and had one of those "LIFE AIN'T FAIR MOMENTS". But when I got home and read through three of my news websites I realized that with all the horrific stuff going down on the planet I really don't have it too awful bad as one might think. But on another angle if I didn't know better I would believe that an entire coven of witches is taking some sort of ultra-wicked revenge against me for some strange reason :eek: .

Now if I could get that award as Poster Boy of the New England Journal Of Medicine I might get enough payback to buy some of these Spyders I'm behind on :cool: . It's been a strange and tumultuous year for a lot of us here in the Good Ol' USA. But I'm home and I'm back to my Spyderville duties and I'm going to try to put of all that behind me.

CRIPES!!!! This whole year has been a harsh reality soap opera :o :D Please tell me I'm not alone :D :D
Dang JD!
I'm so sorry my friend.
Just hang tough good buddy. Thats about all we can do brother. Ill be praying 🙏 for a speedy recovery!!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:14 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:51 pm

Sorry that you had that fall. As we get older for some reason the innate mechanisms that have balanced us for 40 50 60 years no longer work when we need them the most.

More activity is called for, not less. I am saving for a few things, one of them a kickboxing bag...that ought to get some of the balance back.

Don't give up! Get active.
Actually I don't think my age had much to do with it. The stake that was hidden in the tall grass that I tripped over had a ledge on it which caught my New Balance shoe and I truthfully believe anyone else regardless of age would have had the same outcome. The company I discovered later was surveying the area to install new storm sewers. They should have sprayed flourescent/nuclear colored paint to warn people. I think it's even a law here in the state of Missouri for them to do that. But I'm not going to let it get me down. People die in car accidents everyday and I was spared from being a statistic like many people are on a daily basis in this country. That's why I've done so many threads on these disgusting cell phone addicts that I believe are worse than drunks on the road.

I seriously do count my blessings. It could have been much worse. But it sure can be miserable at times.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:19 pm
James Y wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:08 pm

Have you considered using a walking stick, at least some of the time? Not necessarily like a cane, but a walking stick. I carry one with me on my walks. A few years ago, on an early-morning walk, I tripped over a bump in the road and was falling face-first towards the road, but luckily my body remembered the Judo “front fall” technique I learned as a kid, and I landed without injury, except for scraped hands. But it could have been much worse. So now I always carry my 51” (cut for my size) walking stick, just as an added safety. I just carry it with me, not hobbling with it. Mine is made by Brazos walking sticks, and is a solid piece of hickory. Also makes a good legal SD weapon/short staff, if you know how to use it as such. It took me awhile to get used to carrying it. But now, I couldn’t imagine going on a walk without it.

What happened to me Jim was that I was walking through some tall grass and there was some type of metal stake, possibly some type of surveyor's stake that was hidden and my foot/shoe got caught and I went down face first at a pretty hard forward momentum. It felt like someone smacked me with a ball bat when I was able to get up. It was truly a freak accident. I had been through this area dozens of times without incident.

I had to literally clean the blood off my cell phone in order to make the 911 call because the blood was literally pouring out of my nostrils. They checked me at the Emergency Room to see how much blood I lost. These Shoulder surgeries are truly horrible. My knee replacements were not nearly as painful as these two shoulder surgeries. They got me on some high powered pain relievers but they only last for 20 to 30 minutes and the pain is back full strength. I had to do something funny just to get my mind off this crap. But I do indeed feel like the POSTER BOY for the New England Journal of Medicine :o
I’m glad you are generally OK, all things considered. When walking through tall grass, a walking stick can also act as an added safety/prod, to feel ahead where you can’t see the ground. It’s lucky you didn’t trip and fall ONTO the metal stake. :eek:

Get well quickly, brother.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:20 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

Dang JD!
I'm so sorry my friend.
Just hang tough good buddy. Thats about all we can do brother. Ill be praying 🙏 for a speedy recovery!!
Thanks a million MAC :) I'll take all the prayers I can get. It's stuff like this that really make you think hard about the big picture. I guess I'm complaining a bit about my setbacks this year while thousands of people have been losing their lives this year as well.
Like i said earlier I am for sure counting my blessings because it sure could have been much worse. But at age 66 I just don't take a vicious beating like I used to :o I've been in my share of fights in my younger days but this would have been cruel to about anyone. :rolleyes:
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:33 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:20 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

Dang JD!
I'm so sorry my friend.
Thanks a million MAC :) I'll take all the prayers I can get. It's stuff like this that really make you think hard about the big picture. I guess I'm complaining a bit about my setbacks this year while thousands of people have been losing their lives this year as well.
Like i said earlier I am for sure counting my blessings because it sure could have been much worse. But at age 66 I just don't take a vicious beating like I used to :o I've been in my share of fights in my younger days but this would have been cruel to about anyone. :rolleyes:
Don't worry about it.
Just relax, heal and you'll be on the mend. :)
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Wish you all the best and a speedy recovery. It will get better!!!
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

justjohn wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:03 pm
Wish you all the best and a speedy recovery. It will get better!!!
Thank you JohnJohn for the encouragement. And I thank all the rest of you too. This entire year has had a lot of depressing events in it for the entire nation.
That's one thing I really have always liked about this forum. For the most part we all seem to stick together.

But one thing is for sure>> being aware of a problem in many cases puts you half there to solving it. I hope none of you have to go through shoulder surgery>> it is particularly brutal pain so by all means do be careful.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Pluck me, Joe! That's a rough trot and I'm very sorry to learn this.

I wish you a quick and full recovery ole mate. I know from past surgery that you've had and maintained a positive outlook and that matters more and goes further than anything else. Hang in, don't let it get you down and there'll be better days my friend.

Best Wishes!
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I’m sorry you are going through that. I can relate. Hang in there. The worst is behind you so don’t look back.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Holy cow, JD! You’ll be Robocop soon...

You are right in saying, this year especially, that there is always someone worse off than oneself.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery - and no more accidents!

Chris
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:32 am
Holy cow, JD! You’ll be Robocop soon...

You are right in saying, this year especially, that there is always someone worse off than oneself.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery - and no more accidents!

Chris
Funny you would mention that because I've had thoughts of just going to Langley, Virginia USA to CIA headquarters and just telling them to go ahead and make me into a high tech droid. Just so I can fight like Mike Tyson and jump like Michael Jordon>> if they would do that I might just as well go ahead and go to work for them :rolleyes:
In the past 3 years it seems like I've been under the knife more than I've been living an everyday life :o As hard as I hit that concrete that day I'm surprised I didn't fracture my skull or something crazy>> they took me to a trauma center because they thought that had been hurt worse than I was.
I've got to laugh about it>> because if I don't I'll get as depressed as a sick dog :o
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:56 pm
Pluck me, Joe! That's a rough trot and I'm very sorry to learn this.

I wish you a quick and full recovery ole mate. I know from past surgery that you've had and maintained a positive outlook and that matters more and goes further than anything else. Hang in, don't let it get you down and there'll be better days my friend.

Best Wishes!
BLOKE Ol' buddy this year has been one tumultuous roller coaster ride this entire year :eek: I just know in my gut that there is a coven of witches out there somewhere that decided I was going to be the recipient of their wrath :eek: Because at this point nothing else makes much sense.

It kind of reminds me of the book of "Job" in the Bible. That poor guy was really having it bad. Maybe they ought to re-name me Job Jr. instead of Joe :D

Yeah that idea we had a while back of riding jet skis to Antarctica might not be a bad idea after all :D