Yojimbo vs PM2 durability

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bradwithers

Yojimbo vs PM2 durability

Post by Bradwithers »

New guy here....I want to buy my first expensive knife and had settled on a PM2 (g-10 S30V) over the Yojimbo. I went and saw them in person today at Going Gear but in person the yojimbo blade seems it may be more durable. Anyone have any real world experience with both? I'm leaning more towards the yojimbo I think. Its gonna be for edc and self defense (cop) and I'm hard on all my stuff! Thanks in advance.
TazKristi

Re: Yojimbo vs PM2 durability

Post by TazKristi »

Bradwithers wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:52 pm
New guy here....I want to buy my first expensive knife and had settled on a PM2 (g-10 S30V) over the Yojimbo. I went and saw them in person today at Going Gear but in person the yojimbo blade seems it may be more durable. Anyone have any real world experience with both? I'm leaning more towards the yojimbo I think. Its gonna be for edc and self defense (cop) and I'm hard on all my stuff! Thanks in advance.
Hi, Bradwithers:
Welcome to our forum. I'm bumping your thread up since it was in the moderation queue for a bit. I'll let our members share their first-hand experience with you.

Are you aware of our OpFocus program? As a police officer, you qualify. Visit https://www.spyderco.com/resources/op-focus/ before you make your purchase for more information. We thank you for your service.

Stay safe.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Bradwithers wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:52 pm
Both tough knives, both have thin tips. If you’re not prying with the tip, I’d wager they are about the same. Same locks, same scale material. Of course the Yojimbo carries the blade stock thickness out further towards the tip (as I’m sure you noticed holding them) so therefore it’s probably stronger a little further out... pure speculation. I’ve thumped on a pm2 pretty hard and it took it in strides and just asked for more. My choice would be a military or police over both, but I don’t think you could go wrong with either!

which handle did you like better?

And thanks for what you do! Especially in this time, I can’t imagine.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i don't have a pm2. i've handled them, but never used one. i do have a yojimbo and it's amazing. it was purpose built for self defense and the weight of the blade makes for really satisfying action with the compression lock. the wharncliffe blade makes it a great utility knife too. have you seen the video about the background and design of the yojimbo that mike janich made? that's what sold me on the yojimbo.

edit: this thread needs some pics. ;)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
standy99

Post by standy99 »

You can’t go wrong with a PM2 Iconic and Spyderco has sold plenty over the years.
Well, either really. But for me I have never warmed to the Yojimbo handle and profile closed.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

I just got my PM2 yesterday, so I can't make any claim to its durability. But I've used Spyderco for many years. It is definitely a product you can trust with your life. Which ever model you get. I'd say go with the one that is more comfortable.

I've never held a Yojimbo to compare this to, but I have to say the PM2 has a rock solid handle. You are supported both front and back. Also the PM2 has a larger opening hole. Which is a blessing when wearing gloves.

Welcome to the forum. You mentioned Going Gear. Is it safe to assume you're in my neck of the woods? Or is this magically a nation chain I didn't know about?
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

It really is an easy decisions....

Both!
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

If you're looking at the Yojimbo, maybe you could also consider the Canis. It was also designed for self-defense.

Both the Yojimbo and PM2 are solid options, whichever you choose.
Attachments
canis_vs_yojimbo2_b.jpg
Ric

Post by Ric »

If it's more self defense I would go with the yojimbo.
PM2 is a great knife.
Both are excellent and good joices.

If you use it for what a knife is designed (cutting) they will hold up well.
If you abuse you might switch for a new one from time to time or switch to a fix blade.
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

First do what Kristi suggested and sign up for the OpFocus program. It is an excellent program and very generous of Spyderco.
Next pick the one that feels best in your hand. Open/close and generally handle both of them and see if one stands out more than the other. Like others have said, both are great choices. One possible problem, the Yojimbo 2 is out of stock on the website. So if you sign up for the OpFocus program (you should) get a PM2 first and then a Yojimbo 2 when they come back in stock.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Have both, love both, and can’t live without either! Once you buy one the other will be close behind, and you will never regret either purchase. They will both do exactly what you want, but please don’t pry with the tip.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
vivi

Post by vivi »

Thank you for your service, and welcome to the Spyderco forum.

Both the Para 2 and Yojimbo are geat knives. I've owned both. I'd have a bit more confidence with the tip on the Para 2.

If you are worried specifically about the tip durability, you should consider the Endura 4 and Pacific Salt 2.

The Endura has a stouter tip and comes with an optional wave feature.

The wave is a hook that catches on your pocket, opening it as you draw. Here's a demo:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pK6lOTz1Ebs

I would never carry a folding knife for self defense that did not have this feature. To me its like the difference between carrying your gun with one in the pipe or not....its one more step between you and dealing with your problem.

The Pacific Salt 2 is nice because it features an extra stout tip, a very tough blade steel, is incredibly light at just under 3oz, and is 100% rust proof.

If it were my money I'd go with a waved Endura.
:unicorn
Danke

Post by Danke »

I dinged the tip of my Yojimbo cross hatching some pork belly. Not on the pork but when I tagged the tray during a cut. I cleaned the burr off with the groove in a sharpmaker stone. Even though the damage was microscopic I'm always going to know it's there.

I have a couple PM2s and I haven't hit those tips yet.

For I knife I need to open fast I way prefer the compression lock to a back lock. And I also prefer Spyderco's take on the Emerson opener to the original. It is more positive.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm going to agree with Mikey and say that right now I prefer the Canis to either the Yojimbo or the PM2. I find that it 'splits the difference' in a way that makes it more versatile than either. It's tremendously useful as an EDC for standard daily tasks, while carrying a bit easier (for me, anyway) than the Yojimbo, but it's more of a self defense blade than the PM2.
Bradwithers

Post by Bradwithers »

Thanks for the replies, sorry I was gone a bit. I grew up in Smyrna Ga. where Going Gear is but moved to Canton Ga. a few years ago when they built the new braves stadium....too much traffic! The yojimbo 2 seemed to fit my hand better and I had almost decided on it until someone recommended the Canis.... what do yall think the chances are of a DLC version coming out soon? Is there gonna be a reveal 7? And thanks for the heads up Kristi for the OpFocus suggestion thats how I'm trying to get into these nicer blades.....I've been rocking cheaper knives from CRKT, Kershaw, and Bestech but one day ill have a black yojimbo with blue carbon fiber scales and hardware.....
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

It took several years before a DLC version of the Yojimbo came out, so the chances of a DLC Canis coming out soon are very slim.

I actually started a thread about it last month, and that was the consensus.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87274
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Bradwithers wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:49 am
Thanks for the replies, sorry I was gone a bit. I grew up in Smyrna Ga. where Going Gear is but moved to Canton Ga. a few years ago when they built the new braves stadium....too much traffic! The yojimbo 2 seemed to fit my hand better and I had almost decided on it until someone recommended the Canis.... what do yall think the chances are of a DLC version coming out soon? Is there gonna be a reveal 7? And thanks for the heads up Kristi for the OpFocus suggestion thats how I'm trying to get into these nicer blades.....I've been rocking cheaper knives from CRKT, Kershaw, and Bestech but one day ill have a black yojimbo with blue carbon fiber scales and hardware.....
the opsfocus program should help you offset the cost of doing aftermarket upgrades. personally, i love dlc on everything, but almost prefer satin on my yojimbo. i'm not totally sure why... i think because i've always seen it as a katana that was broken in battle and turned into a folder by a resourceful samurai. also, that super deep hollow grind just looks so sweet in the light.

daydreaming aside, the yojimbo is one of my favorite knives. i slept on the yojimbo for a long time, but i'm really glad i have one now. it has really nice action and it functions well as a general utility knife. it's also a perfect example of one of the things i love about spyderco, which is their ability to make something ugly in the coolest way.

i've not upgraded my scales yet, but i did add a copper backspacer that is pretty mean.
Imagepng hosting
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I would go with a Canis over a Yojimbo, because then you have an excuse to get a Yojumbo.

Vivi beat me to it though. I think the best knife for you would be a waved endura 4, or any of the sabre ground endura 4s.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
James Y

Post by James Y »

Although I’ve never handled a Yojimbo, I own two PM2’s and they are quite durable. However, both have fine tips, and I wouldn’t want to twist or pry with either one.

Jim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

When you say "hard on my stuff" are we talking about prying with the tip of the blade, using it as a screwdriver...that sort of thing? Because if that's the case I wouldn't recommend either of these knives as neither one has a very robust tip. The Yojimbo 2's blade is likely stronger overall since it's a hollow grind and has so much full thickness blade stock at the top, but the blade tip is probably also a bit more fragile and likely to break if you're doing those aforementioned hard stuffs.

If you really want a beat the snot out of it and not worry about it breaking knife, I'd get a Pacific or Salt 2. If you manage to break either one of those you really need to consider choosing a better tool for the job.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David