Please Pardon the shameful sales pitch - Rock Jumper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Please Pardon the shameful sales pitch - Rock Jumper

Post by Evil D »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:36 am
It would be pretty cool if Spyderco offered the addition of dents and/or jimping as part of a spa service like Bark River Knives does to remove thumb ramps, add swedges, etc. I doubt they would be inundated with people mailing in knives asking for a dent, but it would be nice to have that option for those of us who prefer them on the Rock Jumpers, Police LWs, Natives, etc. Or to be able to add jimping to a Rock Jumper, Spyderhawk, or Lil Native. Maybe even offer the option of standard jimping or dino jimping! :eek:

It would be pretty rad if little options like this could be tailored. I think if the feedback is strong enough these changes will happen anyway...CQI etc.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I'm pretty sure things like the boye dent and jimping are cut into the lock bar and blade when they're initially laser cut from the steel blank. I'm sure they have the capability to do so but that's not something they do in post processing.
-Nick :bug-red
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

I can really appreciate that there is not jimping. Anything less abrasive is a go for me. Dry skin and mountain air leaves my hands demolished by April. Reaching into the pockets of my pants becomes pretty painful. I recently completely redid the rear setup an on my truck to remove the rhino lining and get everything smooth with powder coat instead.
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:36 am
It would be pretty cool if Spyderco offered the addition of dents and/or jimping as part of a spa service like Bark River Knives does to remove thumb ramps, add swedges, etc. I doubt they would be inundated with people mailing in knives asking for a dent, but it would be nice to have that option for those of us who prefer them on the Rock Jumpers, Police LWs, Natives, etc. Or to be able to add jimping to a Rock Jumper, Spyderhawk, or Lil Native. Maybe even offer the option of standard jimping or dino jimping! :eek:
Most (probably all) of that stuff can be done aftermarket by reputable people.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I certainly respect people who like to see jimping on a thumb ramp, but I may say for the sake of this thread:

Let´s not forget and perhaps also discuss what a great design the RockJumper generally is, aside from jimping or not, with several well loved or long awaited features (edge almost all the way to the handle, tall, neutral handle and so on)

Also, due to the wide blade the thumb ramp is pretty steep and substantial, maybe the pro-jimping-folks thus might discover in real use that there is enough support for the thumb anyway? (As said, I have no dog in the race here since I hardly ever put my thumb on the ramp anyway)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I like that it doesn't have any jumping on the blade. Using an older Delica at work without the jumping, I can't say that it's something I really miss at all, and that's working with wet hands.

Another wish I had is that this was released in LC200N without liners, or at least LC200N liners, but I can understand the need to make sure it would sell before going with a more expensive variation.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I wonder if the RockJumper actually is a new member of the "Endura family" or not?

So if the whole "family" gets a special variant (like currently K390), will the RockJumper be included in the future?

It certainly has a a lot similarities, just no choil or Ricasso, and no jimping and boye dent...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi,

Thanx for all of the input. It's really appreciated. As I've said, this is a test piece. The "Handle forward" concept permits us to bring the edge to the handle. If the concept is well received, we'll make variations. We can add jimping on the spine in the future if that's what's wanted. We don't need a Boye Dent for safety, but we can add some type of indexing. Time will tell.

sal
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:27 am
I forget to mention that I actually find the Boys dents asthetically appealing and like @kennethsime it bothers my OCD that my Natives (and my future Police LWs that I reluctantly plan on buying despite the lack of a dent) don't have them and all of my other backlocks do.
Adding a dent is simple with a Dremel.
navin johnson

Post by navin johnson »

I de-jimp my users. Seldom wear gloves and prefer a fixed blade when I do.

I think the no-dent knives look much better and are easier to use.....I would prefer a deeper well than a "hogged out" lock bar.

So glad for more choil-less LB folders.

Now can we discuss pinned and linerless?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

When Boye dents were ubiquitous there were many complaints about them. Now a few models are released without them and there are many complaints. It must be frustrating for Sal, Eric, and crew. :rolleyes:

As for me, I’m waiting patiently for the Rock Jumper.
Last edited by JRinFL on Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
brj

Post by brj »

I've found the overall shape of the handle to be much more important than the existence (or lack) of jimping. I have Pacific Salts both with- and without jimping on the thumb ramp - and in all honesty I can't see the jimping itself making a world of difference. I grew accustomed to it I guess but when switching to a jimp-less? jimping-less? option (like when I'm using my 440V Millie) I can adapt to that in no time. Lately, I've been enjoying more the smooth thumb ramp on the Watu and Kapara, so I guess that would likely put me in the no-jimping camp.

As for the Boye dent, I have no issue either in locating the lock by tactile pressure alone with the Native Chief of Police 4.

I guess what I'm trying to say here :) is that I'm dying to try out the Jumper as the sum of the features ticks a massive number of boxes for me.
Stoney87

Post by Stoney87 »

I like the design changes to the mid lock to allow for a longer edge and shorter ricasso. I’m sure I misspelled that. I just recently posted about looking for more designs like this. I heard rumor of a leaf shaped blade, that would be great, ive never owned a full warnie before, but maybe I’ll try this one sometime. It seems like a good platform.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Stoney,

Welcome to our forum.

There is a "leaf" version in-the-works.

sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

sal wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:07 am
Hi Stoney,

Welcome to our forum.

There is a "leaf" version in-the-works.

sal
Still think it needs to be called a Leafhopper.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Looking forward to handling a SE version of this. The similarities in handle design to the Caribbean have me intrigued, and of course FFG SE is a great performer.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

Well...

The PM2 Tanto broke my S30V boycott...

VG10 was out of the question until this knife, so then if I'm gonna order this when it drops, now I cant wait, so I went ahead and ordered the Dragonfly Wharncliffe in VG10 to hold me over until then.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Shipping!
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:32 am
Shipping!

Great! :)
Though not in Europe yet... :o
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:37 am
Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:32 am
Shipping!

Great! :)
Though not in Europe yet... :o

I thought you guys got a lot of models before we do?
~David