What’s up with the military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
prndltech

Re: What’s up with the military?

Post by prndltech »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:35 am
Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:10 am
... It's also possibly the best liner lock available, and while many want a compression lock Military I personally think the liner lock is perfect for this model especially when wearing gloves.
Hey D, aren’t you worried that the liner lock is weak and could fail while peeling an apple or cutting a crusty bread roll and the big blade folds severing all your fingers?

Don’t you ever worry that fine splinter picking tip could snap off if you use the knife on a windy day or if you need to pry a manhole cover in an emergency? What if you got into a knife fight? You’d snap the tip for sure.

I won’t mention tip down carry because everyone knows tip up is best. :rolleyes:
Preach :D
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I'm not sure why anyone believes the Mili hasn't been released in great steels.

Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

5-by-5 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:25 am
I'm not sure why anyone believes the Mili hasn't been released in great steels.

because all of the current cqi models are s30v. If I'm not mistaken the sprints in the current version have been rex45, m4, 52100, and 204p. All of which are looooooong gone. The m4 military is the most recent one, and even that's a tough find, especially at less than 150% markup.

Also the s110v one has been out of stock since the beginning of time. We need something with the current cqi in a better steel. In actual production.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:41 am

because all of the current cqi models are s30v. If I'm not mistaken the sprints in the current version have been rex45, m4, 52100, and 204p. All of which are looooooong gone. The m4 military is the most recent one, and even that's a tough find, especially at less than 150% markup.

Also the s110v one has been out of stock since the beginning of time. We need something with the current cqi in a better steel. In actual production.
I agree.
S30V is fine in my book, but I would want to have a tool steel as a regular production.
Talking about that 5 years before were sprint run Militaries in fancy steel is pointless, you can't pick them anymore readily, so...there are only two options: S30V and S110V.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Pancake wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:06 am
I agree.
S30V is fine in my book, but I would want to have a tool steel as a regular production.
Talking about that 5 years before were sprint run Militaries in fancy steel is pointless, you can't pick them anymore readily, so...there are only two options: S30V and S110V.
I would even be happy with something simple like s35vn or xhp. If I can't bash my token big knife into a rock without it chipping out then what's the point? But seriously, I'll always campaign for fancy stuff like lc200n or 3v, but the bottom line is I just don't think s30v is useful for a big working knife like this. Anything better is, well, better.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:14 am
Thanks for not taking my hint as offensive! :)
No problem. We are a team. I don't like arguing online, and after you told me, I was desperate to fix the problem.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
carrot

Post by carrot »

Abyss_Fish, I don’t want to second-guess your experience with S30V but from my own experience the S30V in all Spydercos since after the early S30V days have been flawless with minimal chipping. In any case, I’ve never felt like I needed to move on from S30V beyond desire to try the new new.

I too would like to see a standard production of the Military in a *nice* steel. I think K390 would be perfect. It’s already in use across a number of the other Spyderco evergreen models and has already proven out nicely for the length in the Police 4.

For now, I will have to be satisfied with my pair of M4 Military.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I was surprised we didn't see a SPY27 Military and S45VN Military in Reveal 6. I think we will see both in Reveal 7.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Small sample size obviously, but in the "One word(s) - Current Favorite Model...GO!" thread, 8 of the 74 responses so far have been Military for favorite model. Tied with the Paramilitary for first place. After that the only other model with 4 votes is the Endura. So pretty impressive that we have that many Military lovers here.

The funny thing is that the Para 3 only has one vote and it has the most sprints/exclusives of anything in the past 2 years, yet the Military and Endura are 2 of the top 3 models here and don't get much love in that regard. I hope DLT and St. Nicks put out some Cruwear and 4V exclusives in these 2 models as they are my favorite Golden and Seki model respectively.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87603
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:50 am

The funny thing is that the Para 3 only has one vote and it has the most sprints/exclusives of anything in the past 2 years, yet the Military and Endura are 2 of the top 3 models here and don't get much love in that regard. I hope DLT and St. Nicks put out some Cruwear and 4V exclusives in these 2 models as they are my favorite Golden and Seki model respectively.

I never fully understood why there is such a focus on the Para 3 when it comes to variants.

Not that it should not have any or even many (though it is not my personal favorite model), just a bit more balance would be nice imho.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

steelcity16 wrote:
Small sample size obviously, but in the "One word(s) - Current Favorite Model...GO!" thread, 8 of the 74 responses so far have been Military for favorite model. Tied with the Paramilitary for first place. After that the only other model with 4 votes is the Endura. So pretty impressive that we have that many Military lovers here.

I will say the para3 lightweight might be my current 2nd favorite model. I'm betting the g10 para3 is top 5 for quite a few people.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:21 pm
steelcity16 wrote:

I will say the para3 lightweight might be my current 2nd favorite model. I'm betting the g10 para3 is top 5 for quite a few people.

Yeah, I get that. The Military I would probably put as my 2nd favorite model, I listed the Endura as my favorite. I bet there are a lot of people with Military as their #2 as well as the Para 3. Maybe some of the Shaman and PM2 and Endura folks. The Para 3 and Para 3 LW aren't even in my top 10. Lol. I own zero of either at the moment. Sold em all in the last purge. The only thing that would get me to buy a new one is Cru-carta or DLC Cru-ple. The DLC Cru-ple PM2 is the first PM2 i've had in a few years. The PM2 isn't in my top 10 either. :D
James Y

Post by James Y »

I like my basic G10 Para 3, but I prefer a bit longer blade on a one-hand opener. But for some reason, the same blade length doesn’t bother me as much on the Delica, for example. I don’t know why. It feels to me that during use, because of its short, thick blade, the Para 3 can attract juice and gunk more readily than a longer blade; but for some reason, I feel the Delica is a bit less apt for that to happen, and if it does, it’s simpler to clean out.

That is why I prefer the Military over the Para 3. I like the PM 2 over the Para 3 as well.

I generally prefer tip-up carry, but the Military’s tip-down position doesn’t bother me. I had to change my Police 4 LWT to tip-down, because in the tip-up position, the textured FRN was tearing up my pocket material, while tip-down it doesn’t. That knife is also fine in tip-down position. If I reach into my pocket and pinch around the thumb hole with my thumb and index finger, the Military (and the P4 LWT) is easy to access and pull out (I don’t like saying “deploy,” because it makes me feel like a military/tactical wannabe). :rolleyes:

Jim
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:58 am
steelcity16 wrote:

I never fully understood why there is such a focus on the Para 3 when it comes to variants.

Not that it should not have any or even many (though it is not my personal favorite model), just a bit more balance would be nice imho.
The strange thing with the Para 3 is that even though it's my least favorite Spyderco, it's the only Spyderco I have in two versions. Just the fact that it's compact enough for most pockets and comes in so many variants creates a market in itself, even though it's not that good. If that's the case for the majority of P3 owners, and not just me, I hope Spyderco is able to look past the numbers; the P3 might not be what we want, even if it looks that way.
But then again, what I look for in knives (or just about anything) does usually not align with the masses, so Spyderco might do OK even if they don't read this :-)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:35 am
Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:10 am
... It's also possibly the best liner lock available, and while many want a compression lock Military I personally think the liner lock is perfect for this model especially when wearing gloves.
Hey D, aren’t you worried that the liner lock is weak and could fail while peeling an apple or cutting a crusty bread roll and the big blade folds severing all your fingers?

Don’t you ever worry that fine splinter picking tip could snap off if you use the knife on a windy day or if you need to pry a manhole cover in an emergency? What if you got into a knife fight? You’d snap the tip for sure.

I won’t mention tip down carry because everyone knows tip up is best. :rolleyes:

I tend to cut with the sharp side of the blade instead of the spine so no worries here :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I love the Spyderco Military as it is... the design is simple, practical, reliable, and it works. So, at least for me, it makes no sense to mess with something that works.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

The picture of Sal cutting the ribbon on the new production facility with the Military sticks in my mind. Is the Millie his favorite model?
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

bearrowland wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:19 pm
The picture of Sal cutting the ribbon on the new production facility with the Military sticks in my mind. Is the Millie his favorite model?
Yes, yes it is. He has expressed Endearment for the military model over the years. To me it's very clear this is his favorite model and he is not interested in changing it in any way.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

bearrowland wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:19 pm
The Military, Stretch and Manbug get mentioned quite a bit as some of his preferred models.

Wasn’t that the fluted Ti Military he cut the ribbon with. That is in my opinion the greatest Spydie to date.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I think you're correct Darby, and I second your opinion. I'd love to have one!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032