A long-winded tale of how 2 orange-and-black Militaries came to be

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
brj

A long-winded tale of how 2 orange-and-black Militaries came to be

Post by brj »

So here I was fondly perusing my Military horde (not-so-gratuitous pic, you'll see if you keep on reading)

and wondering which should go into rotation when I noticed I have 2 of them almost exactly alike (namely the orange S30V) and since I’m a bit keen on not having duplicates of the exact same model, the decision was made: one of them needs new clothing. Seemed somehow fitting that the one I’ve been using extensively should be pampered a bit, so I went out there and ordered a nice set of nice orange-and-black, Anso-style grooved (not to stray too far away from the original handle color but to also add a splash of new bling) scales from Cuscadi (they do fantastic work, by the way).

Some weeks later the scales arrived, as nice a thing as I’ve ever envisioned so without further ado I went to disassembly. Several epiphanies happened at once: with the parts in front of me, I realized that the handles are now thinner (as per the Anso bling that I specifically asked for) and that the regular countersunk screws, although fitting, are not necessarily good looking on a contoured scale any more. Worst of all, after removing the old presentation-side handle slab I’ve noticed not only that the lanyard pipe is slightly larger in diameter than the holes in my new scales and thus not quite fitting unless I enlarge a bit the G10 holes, but also that I’ll be having a hard time removing the pipe from the lock-side handle as it was clinging there for dear life.

Huh, not so easy a change, after all. First thought was to send an email to Spyderco and enquire about parts (I knew it was a long shot but needed to try it anyway). After a very polite email shot me down in flames (as I knew it would) I started to explore alternatives. And realized that having a horde of Millies comes with the extra perks of having some extra parts available.

I had some nice standoffs in my XHP Millie, but where did I put the original aluminum backspacer? Needed to search for it and reinstall. And I distinctly remembered having some round-head but even more important, shorter scale screws, from a fluted Titanium Millie. Good and good. Now on to the lanyard pipe. I knew removing it when it’s stuck fast could be a royal pita and I seemed to remember that earlier models of Military had a somewhat slightly narrower lanyard pipe. I went to check on my 2007 Millie and lo and behold, not only was a better fit but I could easily pry it out of both handle slabs at once.

The irony being not totally lost on me that I was now sitting with black scales and orange scales in my lap, it dawned on me that I could FrankenMillie another orange-and-black version. And so I did and I carried it throughout summer, even entered a pic in the calendar contest.

All the while slowly grinding down to length my lanyard pipe until I reached the desired dimension. Assembly went smoothly from then on, here it is in all its glory. No blade play, smooth action, early lockup, perfection.

The only thing that needs extra work is the lanyard pipe that's still somewhat loose, but I’m working my way to further flare it just the tinniest bit as to get a good grip in the G10 but to still be able to take it out if the need arises again.

Moral of the story: make the best with what you have available. And get a Military, if you don't have one :)
cabfrank

Re: A long-winded tale of how 2 orange-and-black Militaries came to be

Post by cabfrank »

Not long-winded, I enjoyed reading it, and love your Military collection. I had one long ago, and found it too big at the time. I really don't think I would feel that way anymore at all. I should definitely try again someday.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Nice read, nice pics, nice knife! Thanks :)

(And btw: Yes, Cuscadi does good work indeed - have/had Micarta and Zirikote-wood scales made by them)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Great story and excellent work!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:32 am
Not long-winded, I enjoyed reading it, and love your Military collection. I had one long ago, and found it too big at the time. I really don't think I would feel that way anymore at all. I should definitely try again someday.
After enjoying the P4LW, I am starting to feel the same thing.
foofie

Post by foofie »

brj wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:01 am
Moral of the story: make the best with what you have available. And get a Military, if you don't have one :)
I may have misread the whole story. To me, the moral of the story is get at least five Militaries to make everything work... :D
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Nice story. Nice collection.

Me, I wouldn't fret about the lanyard pipe being loose, so long at it is properly captive.

I find it interesting to scan across your image of all those millies and take note of the variation in diameter of the lanyard hole.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

brj wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:01 am
Well if you ever want to part with that green 204p one I’d gladly do that second part :D
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
qwkzotc

Post by qwkzotc »

Great adaptation/conversion. Nicely done. I've not had the courage to try a scale change with one of my Millies but your final product is encouraging. Congrats also on snagging a BG-42. Nice to see one in the wild and definitely a grail for me, as is the ATS-34.
I think another point of your project is it shows (me) that blended colored G-10 scales can be just as functional looking as solid colors.