The Manix 2 lw is pretty good

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: The Manix 2 lw is pretty good

Post by Doc Dan »

I love the M2 LW. It is at the top of my list of favorite knives, along with the Delica and Endura. I keep one with me when out walking.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:39 pm
A blade swap and screw construction are possible with the current handle molds, but I have no idea what screws to order. We had a member years ago swap the S110V blade out of the original LW and into a G10 handle
I was always impressed by how tough those LW models were when they tried to get the blades out of them. I've been using an old M4 G10 Manix 2 as a work knife around the house and in my garage. I recently decided the LW Rex45 version would be better for me, accepting the LW handle as more than tough enough.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:46 pm
Like most knives it's fine for casual use, it's only an issue when you go full idiot mode and cut up two huge bushes with it like I did. Doing heavy yard work will show you hot spots you didn't know existed.
It’s not idiot mode, it’s research like you said, it shows you how that knife will feel when cutting with force for extended periods... this is also a downfall of the military and most compression lock knives I’ve had the pleasure of using (part of the reason I’m not a big fan of the lock)
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

prndltech wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:11 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:46 pm
Like most knives it's fine for casual use, it's only an issue when you go full idiot mode and cut up two huge bushes with it like I did. Doing heavy yard work will show you hot spots you didn't know existed.
It’s not idiot mode, it’s research like you said, it shows you how that knife will feel when cutting with force for extended periods... this is also a downfall of the military and most compression lock knives I’ve had the pleasure of using (part of the reason I’m not a big fan of the lock)

I know what you mean! Normally not an issue for me since while I do use my knives rather frequently still very rarely for a longer period of time without any break.
But IF I happen to do the latter, the comp lock cutout can get uncomfortable and the smooth, closed back of backlock knives works better.

I'll have to test the Manix 2 ergos in prolongued use! Just out of interest, cause again, for me realistically a folder "just" has to have good ergos for sure frequent, but not prolongued use.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
olywa

Post by olywa »

Very happy with my current BD1N in translucent blue. If it was my only knife I'd probably fixate on a couple of things like pinned construction and nonchamfered edges. But in truth it excels at 90% of my EDC needs 90% of the time.

If I need to do rough work I always have a fixed blade more suitable to the task at hand. But I rarely feel under-gunned with a Manix 2 LW in my pocket.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I agree with a lot of the above. The lightweight has grown on me a lot this summer, and has been frequently in my pocket. Given the choice, I'd still much prefer the g10 Manix, but for carrying in light or loose clothing, the lightweight model is great, and still gives me the blade shape/size and the same basic ergos that I love on the g10. But I would absolutely round the corners if I could (to be more like the para3 lw) and switch to screw construction. And while it does seem to break in eventually, I'd prefer if the action was smoother out of the box. And I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I'd prefer a different clip, although I'm learning to adjust to the one it comes with.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:53 am
I agree with a lot of the above. The lightweight has grown on me a lot this summer, and has been frequently in my pocket. Given the choice, I'd still much prefer the g10 Manix, but for carrying in light or loose clothing, the lightweight model is great, and still gives me the blade shape/size and the same basic ergos that I love on the g10. But I would absolutely round the corners if I could (to be more like the para3 lw) and switch to screw construction. And while it does seem to break in eventually, I'd prefer if the action was smoother out of the box. And I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I'd prefer a different clip, although I'm learning to adjust to the one it comes with.

Did you ever try too smoothen/ round out the corners of a LW yourself? I never did, but I could imagine that it should be possible quite easily on the FRCP handle to a certain degree?

/ I am not sure if the action generally is better on the G10 than on the LW model (as in: I just don´t know).
My first black LW was really smooth, my current translucent blue not so much (but that does not bother me).
When watching "reviews" on youtube it seems that though a higher percentage of the G10 Manixes are smooth in action out of the box, many Manix LW still are equally good.

/ Never actually owned a G10 Manix, but could handle two. If I started my Spyderco tool selection right now from zero, I certainly would add a G10 Manix! Feels just so solid and like the best possible quality in hand (not that the LW would feel cheap or bad, I love it, but it can´t compete with the G10 in that regard)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:12 am
JuPaul wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:53 am

Did you ever try too smoothen/ round out the corners of a LW yourself? I never did, but I could imagine that it should be possible quite easily on the FRCP handle to a certain degree?

/ I am not sure if the action generally is better on the G10 than on the LW model (as in: I just don´t know).
My first black LW was really smooth, my current translucent blue not so much (but that does not bother me).
When watching "reviews" on youtube it seems that though a higher percentage of the G10 Manixes are smooth in action out of the box, many Manix LW still are equally good.

/ Never actually owned a G10 Manix, but could handle two. If I started my Spyderco tool selection right now from zero, I certainly would add a G10 Manix! Feels just so solid and like the best possible quality in hand (not that the LW would feel cheap or bad, I love it, but it can´t compete with the G10 in that regard)
I haven't tried to smooth the edges...in general I don't like making permanent mods on my knives, especially on exclusive versions (that's the collector in me). But I'd give it a shot on the spy27 version coming out if I knew how.

As for action...I know drop shut action isn't what everybody wants, but I do prefer it in comp locks and cbbls. Every g10 manix I've had (including the backlock) has had a freely swinging blade - or nearly so - with the lock depressed and with maybe a 1/4 turn tweak of the pivot. None of the lightweights I've had come close to havinh free swinging blades out of the box. I could barely even swing them closed at first. This definitely improves as they break in, but so far the action on my s90v lw still can't match the smoothness on any one of the g10s I own.
- Julia

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:41 am
As for action...I know drop shut action isn't what everybody wants, but I do prefer it in comp locks and cbbls. Every g10 manix I've had (including the backlock) has had a freely swinging blade - or nearly so - with the lock depressed and with maybe a 1/4 turn tweak of the pivot. None of the lightweights I've had come close to havinh free swinging blades out of the box. I could barely even swing them closed at first. This definitely improves as they break in, but so far the action on my s90v lw still can't match the smoothness on any one of the g10s I own.
Have you tried adjusting the pivots a little? Not doubting you but this hasn't been my experience with my 4 LWs at all. I don't recall how mine were out of the box but one thing that's really impressed me about the M2 LWs is how smooth they feel. All mine swing closed when I pull back on the lock and they all lock up solid (no play). Maybe they're not quite like the G10 versions but darned close. I can honestly say they're the smoothest lightweight version of any models I have. I've had G10 M2s that weren't free dropping out of the box. A little pivot adjustment and maybe a couple drops of oil and they were fine. I think it's like any model, some are smoother out of the box than others
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:24 am
JuPaul wrote:
Have you tried adjusting the pivots a little? Not doubting you but this hasn't been my experience with my 4 LWs at all. I don't recall how mine were out of the box but one thing that's really impressed me about the M2 LWs is how smooth they feel. All mine swing closed when I pull back on the lock and they all lock up solid (no play). Maybe they're not quite like the G10 versions but darned close. I can honestly say they're the smoothest lightweight version of any models I have. I've had G10 M2s that weren't free dropping out of the box. A little pivot adjustment and maybe a couple drops of oil and they were fine. I think it's like any model, some are smoother out of the box than others
Yeah, I played with the s90v lw a bunch. I think the one I got is just especially bad. I can loosen both pivot screws to the point where I can stick my fingernail clear under the head and it still won't drop freely. It's much easier to swing shut, but still the weight of the blade alone won't drop it. If it wasn't pinned, I'd take it apart and clean and inspect the washers.

I will say the rex45 lw I got is much better. I did have to adjust the pivot a fair bit, but I can get it to drop shut with only the teeniest bit of blade play. I've never had to do more than a tiny tweak on a g10 model, though, and they just feel like they want to close. But it sounds like it's luck of the draw, really.
- Julia

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:22 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:24 am
JuPaul wrote:
Yeah, I played with the s90v lw a bunch. I think the one I got is just especially bad. I can loosen both pivot screws to the point where I can stick my fingernail clear under the head and it still won't drop freely. It's much easier to swing shut, but still the weight of the blade alone won't drop it. If it wasn't pinned, I'd take it apart and clean and inspect the washers.

I will say the rex45 lw I got is much better. I did have to adjust the pivot a fair bit, but I can get it to drop shut with only the teeniest bit of blade play. I've never had to do more than a tiny tweak on a g10 model, though, and they just feel like they want to close. But it sounds like it's luck of the draw, really.
I've been reading posts about people wanting them to do away with the pinned construction for a few years now. I've always wondered what the big deal was because mine have all been great. I like to be able to take my knives apart too but it's never been a necessity for me with the Manix 2 LWs. After reading about your experience I'm now a proponent of going to screw construction. Not always a necessary but a nice option to have when you need it.

When I finally get my Manix 2 LW SPY27 I'll be looking at it closely. I hope it's as good as my other ones
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I liked mine in many ways, but my salient memory of it is, the more I handled it, the less I liked the handle; the "boxiness", and especially the FRCP.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Not many folding knives would be that comfortable after cutting all day, maybe the siren or shaman - the wide (tall) handle of the manix 2 does make it way better than most
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I've been an FRN/FRCP hater for a long time. But I decided that the Rex45 Manix LW was something I had to have. And I am making it my knife to carry all the time and do anything with. A knife you have a bit of a bad attitude towards and aren't afraid to use (without stupid abuse) can be just the thing. But apart from disliking the knife out of general principle, I like the knife itself.

It has an amazing fit in my hand. It is very light, and it seems exceedingly sturdy. After carrying and using it for a few years it may wear away at my bad attitude towards FRN/FRCP. and did I mention the price is right.?

I'm not quite sure what the "boxy" complaint is about. Mine feels great -- It is no Shaman by any means, but I like how it feels in hand. Sometimes a knife that is a little "boxy" can give a better grip than one that is smooth and friendly.
righthandedEDC

Post by righthandedEDC »

Aloha everyone,
New to the forums.. I ended up getting the M2 LW blk/blk as my first Spyderco. I love the weight and ergos, so good. Out of the box, it was a tad bit stiff. But its starting week 2 and its feeling a lot better. I'd say by next week it'll be perfect. Think the Para 3 LW is on the radar now! Something about these lightweights?!
Takecare everyone
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Is it tooo late to find the M2 REX45 LW at MAP?

I had a G10 version some time ago and parted ways with it; thinking about revisiting in a lighter version.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

cycleguy wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:19 pm

I had a G10 version some time ago and parted ways with it; thinking about revisiting in a lighter version.

CG
Looks like Sooner State Knives still has them
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

cycleguy wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:19 pm

CG
Higher than MAP, but still lower than msrp and the flippers:

https://deadwoodknives.com/p-sy-c101pbo ... c101pbore2
- Julia

Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I am getting annoyed with my Rex45 Manix 2 LW.

I have 8 (yes 8) G10 Manix 2 knives and NONE have lock stick.

I used to hear people grumble about this and dismissed them as whiners, but it is pretty bad. If this had been my first Spyderco I would not have been impressed. I suppose it could happen with a G10 Manix, but it leaves a person thinking that these FRN knives are "lower tier" i.e. "budget knives" and don't get the attention that the flagship G10 models do.

So I am back to being an FRN hater, though it has nothing to do (or I don't think it does) with the FRN.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

The Manix 2 LW is growing on me. I bought one in REX 45 and have carried and used it at work and it's been great. I liked REX 45 in my Native and have long been curious especially about the LW model of the Manix.

I also decided to test the corrosion resistance of the REX 45 in my use. I had the idea before that my sweat is not very corrosive and this test seemed to confirm that.

I carried the REX 45 M2LW in my front right pocket for a ~20 mile hike through The Enchantments with a ~5000 foot ascent and ~7000 foot descent. Not a sign of corrosion anywhere afterwards. Pretty cool. The mountain goat kid was cool too. :cool:
IMG_20200906_093026sm.jpg
MVIMG_20200906_112820sm.jpg
IMG_20200906_102633sm.jpg
IMG_20200906_140811sm.jpg
IMG_20200906_145216sm.jpg
IMG_20200906_141226sm.jpg