What’s up with the military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pancake

Re: What’s up with the military?

Post by Pancake »

Cambertree wrote: I love my Millie.
Damm you all you enablers :D
I wanted to buy an Endura next year, not a Military! :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:14 pm
Ha ha, oh I think you’d really enjoy it, Pancake. :D ;)

It’s very interesting to compare it in use, alongside the Police 4. :) :cool:
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I jumped on the catalog and looked. I wish that orange G10 model was still in production, because I had my credit card ready ☺
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Just when you think that's it, I've got all I really need lol...
Pancake wrote:
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:

Oh man... though I eventually came to prefer the Endura / Pac Salt as my regular sized folder (due to lock, tip up carry, slimmer and smaller closed size, presumably more robust tip and FRN) and sold my Millie, I can´t help but say: You really should try a Military if you never had one before!! :D

Should a Military 2 with a comp. lock really going to replace the great current linerlock Military (but I really hope that´ll never happen!), I´d certainly get another Millie 1 before they can´t be found anymore
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
brj

Post by brj »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:12 pm
The only thing wrong with the Military is that there haven't been any new releases in quite some time.
^this
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:50 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:42 am
Naperville wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:38 am
I'm trying to sell my S110V Military. I also have a kydex sheath for it that when used opens the Military on the draw. It has never been carried or used.

Saving up for other Spyderco knives! Need to raise the cash somehow.

Hi Naperville,

please don´t take this as rude or lecturing (since I am certainly not in a position for that), but just as a reminder: No trading on the forum (following the forum rules) and I think that is a good thing (could otherwise get out of control rather quickly I guess) :)

Perhaps you could send a pm instead if you think someone might be interested in a knife you´d like to sell.

Again, no offense and my applogies should I have misinterpreted your post! :)
Thanks! I looked for that rule as I did not want to go astray of them, and I could not find it, YET I had heard of it.

Sorry folks!

Thanks for not taking my hint as offensive! :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

My Precious. The Mighty Ti Framelock Knifeworks Exclusive in S90V. A Military to end all Millitaries. Perfection :spyder:

Last edited by elena86 on Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:25 am
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:24 pm
Literally everytime someone makes a post about a new Military, without fail a handful of Forumites here quickly reply that the original is perfect, not to be messed with or altered in any way, in perpetuity, forever....

It's the only Spydie that some people DON'T want any CQI applied to, which is ironic considering how a good chunk of posts here are suggesting upgrades and desired features, etc.

I hear you, but

1.) The Millie HAD CQI applied as far as I know (?)

2.) My concerns really are only about the lock type and its possible change into a comp.lock.

I would have no problem with a four way clip option or many other changes, but for me the linerlock really is a defining feature of the Military. This knife is one of the very few middle ground / higher end Spydies that still offers this lock type (probably the only genuine = not collaboration model like the Bradley?) and not either backlock or comp.lock, and I think for the outdoor-/ cold,wet finger / glove use the linerlock is an almost perfect choice and imho better suited than a comp. lock. The Millie linerlock furthermore is the best example of this locktype I personally ever experienced

And even if folks generally prefer comp. lock or backlock (I myself actually prefer the latter over a linerlock) I think for the sake of variety the Millie should keep the linerlock.
So a comp. lock Millie 2 as just an alternative but not replacement would be fine (a bit like the Sage comes in different lock types), but as others have said: Maybe such a model would more be like a "PM4" ?!
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:23 am
My Precious. The Mighty Ti Framelock Knifeworks Exclusive in S90V. A Military to end all Millitaries. Perfection :spyder:

Ahhh, “The one that got away”

That was the only Military I was interested in and couldn’t make it happen at the time. I’m not a fan of the liner lock and coupled with tip down only carry is the reason I’ve never picked up Military. Now, a Comp Lock version (not replacement) would definitely get my attention. It can at least have a two way clip to preserve the show side.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I like it. Don't change it.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Held off even buying a Fluted Ti Millie at a deep discount at our local knife store (think some dollars over $200 only after currency exchange rates) because of the fixed clip position. Not a good knife for lefties. It's 2020, please give us clip options already...
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Fun fact.
I change my clip position on Native Chief and Police to tip down, just to prepare my life for when Military comes. And...it's not that bad. Worst thing is that my mobile phone is banging against the spine of my knife, but that not that big of a deal.
Yeah...I can a see a Military in my future (or Endura :D)
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

A more recent pic of my Lefty:

And one showing the excellent and comfortable scale chamfering.

It’s most visible in the pic at the butt of the handle.

One day Spyderco will include the Lefty Model in a toolsteel sprintrun, and I’ll have the perfect Millie! :) ;) :rolleyes:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Military pretty much ruined all other knives for me until I got the Caribbean. I was the same as you, curious about it and wondering if the hype was real, then I found a gently used SE version for a good price and bought it because I knew they were hard to come by. Now I think I own 6-7 Militaries. Once I got over the size I realized bigger was better in most situations and now I prefer knives with blades in the 3.5-4 inch range. It's also possibly the best liner lock available, and while many want a compression lock Military I personally think the liner lock is perfect for this model especially when wearing gloves.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Spyderco makes a lot of knives that handle really well. But the Military? You really have to *work* to find a way to hold it that feels wrong.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Nothing up with any of mine. :)

I tune them all as soon as I get them and they’re all absolutely perfect. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Cambertree wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:29 am

And one showing the excellent and comfortable scale chamfering.
I’m a long time mili fan... But it’s not chamfered near enough, or rounded enough, if you use it for extensive cutting in my experience. They scales are pretty much square, same with the pm2.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:10 am
... It's also possibly the best liner lock available, and while many want a compression lock Military I personally think the liner lock is perfect for this model especially when wearing gloves.
Hey D, aren’t you worried that the liner lock is weak and could fail while peeling an apple or cutting a crusty bread roll and the big blade folds severing all your fingers?

Don’t you ever worry that fine splinter picking tip could snap off if you use the knife on a windy day or if you need to pry a manhole cover in an emergency? What if you got into a knife fight? You’d snap the tip for sure.

I won’t mention tip down carry because everyone knows tip up is best. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

prndltech wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:31 am
I’m a long time mili fan... But it’s not chamfered near enough, or rounded enough, if you use it for extensive cutting in my experience. They scales are pretty much square, same with the pm2.
I guess I mean the chamfering is excellent in relative terms, for a flat slab of G10.

If we have a scale where the KC Cruwear PM2 was the worst, being a smooth, unchamfered, sharp sided set of scales, which I immediately replaced with contoured micarta ones, most PM2s would sit in the middle. My Para 3 was a little better. And at the other end of the scale, the Lefty Millie and G10 Police 4 are pretty good.

But yeah I agree, the slab sided scales are one reason why I mostly fit contoured micarta scales to my Spydies soon after purchase.

I much prefer the feel of that smooth, contoured, radiused edge in the hand.

Especially when using the knife for a while, or gripping it hard, without gloves on, like you say.