Kind of a Big Deal...!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Baron Mind

Kind of a Big Deal...!

Post by Baron Mind »

I posted most of this in a reply in the standard "Maxamet Sage 1" thread, but I feel like this isn't just another standard new release.

THIS AS A HISTORIC, MONUMENTAL PARADIGM SHIFT.

For years people have clamored for a Sage in a steel other than s30v, AND wondered if Spyderco would ever expand their Maxamet offerings beyond the current Golden flagship models.

Here we have a Sage in non-s30v, and at the same time the FREAKIN Taichung plant is using FREAKIN Maxamet for the first time. New model in Maxamet AND a new factory using it.

IMO, this is a test run for so many future possibilities, and every diehard Spyderco fan
needs to buy one. Want a Chapparal in a different steel? BUY THIS. Want Taichung models in more exotic steels? BUY THIS.

Another reason to be excited about the Sage in particular being offered in new steels is the Sage is on record as having the thinnest ground blades behind the edge of any model. A lot of super steels don't truly shine until you take them to more extreme geometries. That is to say they are capable of being taken thin behind the edge with low edge angles, geometries lesser steels cant handle.

I also think we need to reinforce design choices opting for oversized lockbar cutouts.

All that being said, this isn't the same as some arguments you hear for buying knives based on future possibilities. We're not talking about buying an Astute in 8cr so that it might be upgraded in a universe far far away. You're talking about buying a GREAT, PROVEN model, in a new scale material, with THEE most extreme blade steel available on production knives. You're already getting the best this industry has to offer, and it just so happens to carry a slew of other beneficial implications for enthusiasts like us.

Watershed moment.
Last edited by Baron Mind on Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
p_atrick

Re: Kind of a Big Deal...!

Post by p_atrick »

Do you have to make such good points? Can't I just wait until the knife I want in the configuration that I want comes to market?

Kidding aside, you do make some good points. I wasn't even considering this knife. Not sure if I am now, but you did get me thinking.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Reveal 6 has some important Spyderco firsts... Love to see them listening to feedback and giving us some dream combinations
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

Dude you make my reason to buy this knife because I like the color sounds so lame! Lol
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I don’t love the Sage series but I’d agree on this being kind of a big deal and I might just have to get one. FWIW, I think that a well patina’d maxamet will go well with the finish on the Sage’s handle.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Yeah, you just convinced me :) seriously I want really planning to buy one of these but I just changed my mind
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I'm a huge fan of anything Maxamet, and Spyderco is the only manufacturer making it happen.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Sage 2 m390 when tho
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The OP reminded me of something I really like about the Sage series and that's how thin behind the edge they are. In Evil D's behind the edge database I had posted .020" for the models I have. Since then I've learned to get jaws of my calipers right on the shoulder. I received a Sage 4 a few months ago and I remembered I haven't measured it yet. So I just did and got .019".. i also re-measured a couple others that haven't been reprofiled and got .018-.019". That's prety good

Looking forward the Sage 1 Max
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Didn't Taichung make the maxamet mule?
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:26 pm
Sage 2 m390 when tho
After the Sage and the Spydiechef produce their offspring of the Sage 2 Salt LC200N :D
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

Now for a k390 or Maxamet Chaparral :D
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Oh man, too many well reasoned arguments and I think the Sage is one of the best designs ever (siblings or cousins with the Caly 3 and 3.5) AND I don't have a Sage 1 in my stable of Sage's..... Darn it now will need to do this.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Bemo wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:41 pm
Oh man, too many well reasoned arguments and I think the Sage is one of the best designs ever (siblings or cousins with the Caly 3 and 3.5) AND I don't have a Sage 1 in my stable of Sage's..... Darn it now will need to do this.
I own a Sage 5, no Caly's. Caly 3.5 LW is my most anticipated future release.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Does maxamet fare well with such a thin edge though?
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:51 pm
Does maxamet fare well with such a thin edge though?
That's what I'm wondering.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

I love seeing this release. The Sage is one of my favorite Spyderco designs, and I think one reason it doesn't get as much attention as the P3 is the lack of steel variety. Great to see Maxamet on a Taichung model.
Jim