How about a folding Whale Rescue? Aka a safety tipped Spyderhawk? Rescuehawk?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

How about a folding Whale Rescue? Aka a safety tipped Spyderhawk? Rescuehawk?

Post by Evil D »

OK so I stumbled upon this channel on Youtube...you know how it is when you watch one suggested video and next thing you know you're getting that channel's videos everyday. Well this channel I've been watching does a lot of ocean rescue stuff and particularly they've got a bunch of videos where they're chasing down seals on the beach to cut rope and fishing line off from around their necks...and watching these guys use scissors and I'm not sure what brand knives is absolutely driving me CRAZY :eek:

Every time they catch a seal and try to cut ropes off their necks, it's such a struggle to get them cut. You'd think guys who are professionals (I guess they're pros?) would have better cutting tools. Scissors seem like a safe option so you don't hurt the seal but they're such poor cutters, and don't get me started on the knives I've seen them using.

So....has anyone at Spyderville ever thought about making a Rescuehawk? I feel like the Whale Rescue blade is obviously way too big for this job, but a safety tipped hawkbill seems like the perfect solution for hooking up under the rope and pull cutting it off the seal's neck. I don't think they'd have any issue with a folding knife because the scissors they use are always folded up when they pull them out of their pockets (and it takes two hands to unfold them). I was thinking the Autonomy 1 would even be good for this sort of thing but they're significantly more expensive and I think a hawkbill would work better.

Thoughts? Here's the video I just watched today...

https://youtu.be/chBitgI ... ionNamibia

Anyone recognize that knife? I was thinking maybe one of those Leatherman knives or something? Somebody needs to at least modify the tip of a Spyderhawk and mail it to these guys to try out.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Dazen

Re: How about a folding Whale Rescue? Aka a safety tipped Spyderhawk? Rescuehawk?

Post by Dazen »

Wouldn’t a club be more effective?

Joking, I love the idea but I’m sitting here trying to justify a reason to tell the Mrs why I need one! “Just in case the kiddos get tangled in some rope?!”

I see some H1 sheers being good as well.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Evil D

Re: How about a folding Whale Rescue? Aka a safety tipped Spyderhawk? Rescuehawk?

Post by Evil D »

Dazen wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:27 pm

Joking, I love the idea but I’m sitting here trying to justify a reason to tell the Mrs why I need one! “Just in case the kiddos get tangled in some rope?!”

Well this isn't so much a "knife community EDC" idea as it is a "save the ocean puppies" idea.

As for the wife just remind her that the odds of encountering a wild seal in your neighborhood with rope around his neck may be astronomically low but never absolute zero ;)
Last edited by Evil D on Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~David
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Folding whales need rescuing, too.
benben

Post by benben »

I keep waiting for Bloke to come along and show a Great White knocking him 20 feet out of the water 6 minutes after he’s rescued! Kudos to those guys, and you’re right David, they need some better stuff! Kept waiting for that guy to cut his finger.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I like idea. I think it would be a great all around rescue tool. A full SE, rounded tip, hawkbill would make for one heck of a seatbelt cutter too. I'd carry one anytime I was on a friend's boat as well, just in case someone got caught in a line, or I encountered a bird, turtle, or other fresh water critter that needed to be freed from improperly discarded fishing line.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I saw the same video. That's a Leatherman knife, and they've used this video on their Instagram feed. I think a rescuehawk would be so cool.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

😂
benben wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:45 pm
I keep waiting for Bloke to come along and show a Great White knocking him 20 feet out of the water 6 minutes after he’s rescued! Kudos to those guys, and you’re right David, they need some better stuff! Kept waiting for that guy to cut his finger.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I have seen a couple videos from these guys and I have marveled at how much crap their knives are. I own an old CRKT Bear Claw, it is a good rescue knife to be worn on a life jacket, blunt tip and good for rope cutting. I'm all with Evil D, rope cutting rescue goes safer with a blunt tip. H1 or LC200n would help too, I can't keep the rust off the Bear Claw.

Other than poor knife choices these guys deserve some respect for taking on animal rescue work.

My joke, in poor taste... Leave the rope. That way an Orca can eat and floss at the same time.
Not a joke, our legacy of garbage.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

It's a really interesting idea and I'm sure this situation is only one of the many ways a knife like that could be used. Basically, a rescue blade with the all hawkbill cutting power.

Some alternatives to the Autonomy at a lower cost could be the Atlantic salt, Rescue Salt, or even the Assist Salt. The Assist Salt might be a particularly good option because it has the fully blunted tip.
-Nick :bug-red
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I have rescued (and freed/cut line off of) more sea turtles and birds than I can be bothered to remember over the past 8 years or so.

So, I am not against the idea...

But, I feel like I am in the minority in terms of that kind of use, and Im not sure if Spyderco could sell enough to justify the cost.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

From the still frame above I thought Julius was just making a fashion statement by wearing a scarf. And at the end of the video I thought I heard one of the other seals say, "Hey, who's the new guy?" ;)

What about a version with a larger radius than the strap cutter on the ClipiTool Rescue? You could certainly turn it sideways slip it under rope or netting raise the hook up and pull the rope/netting into the edge. The SpyderEdge on a sheepsfoot blade would give other options. A 14mm hole on each and one could open either with gloves on.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... escue/1122
Last edited by Pokey on Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

You're right Nick. An Atlantic Salt would work really well. I respect these guys for what they do. My Coast Guard son has told me that you wouldn't believe the garbage in the ocean. It's truly sad.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I started working on converting a Whale Rescue to a folder, but life got it the way. :(
When I get time, I will have a look again.

The Grade 1 Titanium liners and Micarta scales are rough shaped already, and somewhere in my workshop.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

I’m not sure a folder is the best solution here. An Enuff Salt would not get sand in the pivot and lock, these guys are operating on beaches all day. It’s still small enough (no pun) to be carried in a pocket not that Namibia has issues with carrying sheath knives that I am aware of.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:29 pm
Dazen wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:27 pm

Well this isn't so much a "knife community EDC" idea as it is a "save the ocean puppies" idea.

As for the wife just remind her that the odds of encountering a wild seal in your neighborhood with rope around his neck may be astronomically low but never absolute zero ;)

Yup, she said “absolute zero chance”, but I’ve got some time until thIs comes to fruition to show her it’s necessary! :D

On a serious note, as mentioned the Assist Salt would be their best bet for now. There is a reason the Whale Rescue isn’t straight and the same reason applies here.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

PSquared wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:08 am
I’m not sure a folder is the best solution here. An Enuff Salt would not get sand in the pivot and lock, these guys are operating on beaches all day. It’s still small enough (no pun) to be carried in a pocket not that Namibia has issues with carrying sheath knives that I am aware of.

They seem to be getting by ok with lesser quality folders and scissors, all having pivots. They just need better steel and serrations..
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i know it's not a hawkbill, but what about the assist salt? the "tip" of that knife is wider than a nickel and would work really well for this application. i'd consider it a much better rescue knife than anything else spyderco makes just because there is no tip at all.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I can certainly see the benefit to a design like your described, however I am not sure it would fill any niche (or even one I could use to justify) in types of use. That being said, after posts last week, I did consider making myself a whale rescue yard tool with a micarta handle. I would still grind down the blunt point end to make a point though.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i always carry my pac salt in the ocean because it was the best compromise available with a slight sheepsfoot and still having a tip that can pierce. it was a compromise i had to decide to make. for any type of emergency though, the rounded non-tip on the assist or whale rescue is a far better choice. just thinking about times i've pulled my pac salt out under water, with the distortion you have from whatever mask or goggles you're using, combined with the movement of the water, i can't imagine not cutting someone (or something) with the tip of the pac salt on accident while attempting a rescue. of course, a little accidental cut is better than death, but not getting cut in the ocean and being rescued would be the favored scenario. :D
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C