What’s up with the military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Naperville

Re: What’s up with the military?

Post by Naperville »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:42 am
Naperville wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:38 am
I'm trying to sell my S110V Military. I also have a kydex sheath for it that when used opens the Military on the draw. It has never been carried or used.

Saving up for other Spyderco knives! Need to raise the cash somehow.

Hi Naperville,

please don´t take this as rude or lecturing (since I am certainly not in a position for that), but just as a reminder: No trading on the forum (following the forum rules) and I think that is a good thing (could otherwise get out of control rather quickly I guess) :)

Perhaps you could send a pm instead if you think someone might be interested in a knife you´d like to sell.

Again, no offense and my applogies should I have misinterpreted your post! :)
Thanks! I looked for that rule as I did not want to go astray of them, and I could not find it, YET I had heard of it.

Sorry folks!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

HAHAHAHAHA.... Forum rules is in RED right in front of me! Doh, I'll read them.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
blues

Post by blues »

Military in 4V would give me an opportunity to carry a steel I've not yet had the opportunity to try out...and a new Military would be a welcome addition.
- Retired from the chase -
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I keep looking at the Military....it teases me! I'd love a Ranger Green in any steel with the Spyderedge. Lust is a terrible thing 😂
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:24 pm
I keep coming close to buying a millie. It’s got a sort of odd “vintage spyderco” aesthetic that I can’t quite shake. The simple construction, the soft corners on the bits of the handle around the pivot. I’m not even really into big knives, the spydiechef is about my limit. But it’s oddly alluring...

So what’s the deal with it? Why hasn’t it really been touched since it’s release? Why is it tip down only? Would y’all be interested in a modern iteration (thinner blade, drilled for tip up carry, steel more suited for beating, etc)?
Literally everytime someone makes a post about a new Military, without fail a handful of Forumites here quickly reply that the original is perfect, not to be messed with or altered in any way, in perpetuity, forever....

It's the only Spydie that some people DON'T want any CQI applied to, which is ironic considering how a good chunk of posts here are suggesting upgrades and desired features, etc.

"I think a Millie 2 would be sweet, Comp Lock, 4way clip"... I've had this conversation 3 or 4 times over the last couple years.
Others that have been here much longer than me have been going through this topic for well over a decade probably.

Seriously, people have gotten passionate about this and strongly disagree on the matter. Usually the biggest gripe though is all the extra holes for the pocket clip. Doesn't seem to bother them on the many other Spydies that have 4 way orientations. (If the Millie is special to you specifically for having clean G10 presentation, cool).
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This pic is missing my REX45. I am also still waiting for one in 10V, 4V and Maxamet!!!

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:25 am
Seriously, people have gotten passionate about this and strongly disagree on the matter. Usually the biggest gripe though is all the extra holes for the pocket clip. Doesn't seem to bother them on the many other Spydies that have 4 way orientations. (If the Millie is special to you specifically for having clean G10 presentation, cool).
I don’t understand that complaint at all. I mean, it’s a very “handed” knife as it is. So why wouldn’t an hourglass clip be single position like the current one...

In any case, it’s whatever. If I can find a mille in a steel I want I’ll just commission scales milled for tip up carry.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
James Y

Post by James Y »

For those who are asking for a Military 2 with a compression lock, they would probably be better to ask for a PM 4. Because that is exactly what it would become.

I own 4 Militaries. I happen to like the CQI applied to it so far. But I don’t think changing it to a different lock would be an upgrade. The Military is, IMHO, the most consistently, best-executed liner lock knife on the market. The liner lock isn’t my favorite lock type, but on the Military it is.

As for the clip, it’s fine the way it is. There’s obviously a reason that Sal designed the slightly curved clip to match the curve of the handle.

As to whether different steels would ‘triple’ the sales, I don’t know about that. It’s already been offered in different steels.

Jim
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Just realized the bbs s90v military is in ongoing production. I might be getting a military...
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:29 am
Just realized the bbs s90v military is in ongoing production. I might be getting a military...

I think they are just sitting on years old inventory. I believe these are the pre-CQI Militaries, so consider that before buying one.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:29 am
Would not described it as a ongoing production. It's more like new old stock.
If you look closely, it's pre-CQI Military. Smaller tube, no stepped pin, domed pivot.
Buy it if you want to, but these because of pre-CQI stigma are going to be in their shop for a long time.
Steelcity16 was faster.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

James Y wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:22 am
As to whether different steels would ‘triple’ the sales, I don’t know about that. It’s already been offered in different steels.
Considering how slow all the Military sprints have sold I would say he may have miscalculated that one. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I don't mind liner locks, I mean, I just bought a Gayle Bradley 2! I just want tip up carry. All my blades that are 4" or more (Resilience) have tip up. Works just fine for me. Keep everything else the same, just add tip up, and I'd probably buy one because I did like the one I handled.

Add a compression lock and call it the paramilitary xl. I'd buy it too! Lol
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

The Military is on my list of Spydercos to add to the family. The tip down carry and linerlock might not be deal breakers but they definitely lower it down on my list of wants.
Maybe version 2 could be called the Spyderco Militia!?
•• Beau
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:31 pm
I was in the same boat as you recently. I love the PM2, Para 3, and Stretch. You'd think a Military would be right up my ally, but I help back, mostly because of the price point. For $200 or so, I could get two $100 knives. Or a $150 knife plus a set of micarta scales. Plus, it doesn't even have a compression lock, and the clip is on the wrong side. I figured I'd wait for the Military 2 to come along, and thought maybe if I pestered Sal & Eric enough they'd do a run in K390 with Ranger Green G-10 scales and a compression lock.

Well, I had an opportunity to pick up a Military recently, the Knifeworks exclusive with Dark Green G-10 and CTS-204p steel thanks to a fellow forumite and I couldn't be happier.

Man, what a knife! I'm definitely regret waiting so long. The first thing you notice is it's big. Really big. The next thing you notice is how light it is. And finally when you open it up, it's even bigger than you thought. The liner lock is smooth, and functions flawlessly. The Military has definitely seen some CQI, and feels modern is every way.

The Millie has been in my pocket more days than not in the past month or so. I don't mind the clip position, and I don't mind the lock. The only reason I ever hesitate to pick the Military for my EDC is when I think I'm going to be working closely with others, for fear of scaring them with such a large knife. Thanks to COVID, that hasn't happened too much of an issue.

I'm still rooting for a Ranger Green, K390 Military 2 with a Compression lock. I'd like to see the handle shortened a bit if possible, the choil from the PM2, and a 4-way clip. But until then I'll keep carrying my current Military; it's a **** of a knife.
What you have, the 204p version, is really, really, hard to beat imo. Its a fantastic steel. Plenty of Chromium and sharpens so well - holds an edge very well.
Its just hard to beat for an allround knife and steel imo.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:05 pm
What you have, the 204p version, is really, really, hard to beat imo. Its a fantastic steel. Plenty of Chromium and sharpens so well - holds an edge very well.
Its just hard to beat for an allround knife and steel imo.
It's my first experience with anything like M390. Hope to put it to more use once I'm back to work; mostly just opens packages, breaks down cardboard, and slices the occasional apple for now. Haven't had to sharpen it yet, but it sure is keeping the edge well for now.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Military is one of my tried and true favorites. As many of the others have said, the CQI has introduced subtle upgrades to the Millie, but the bare bones are virtually the same. I actually hunt for the older ones now more than trying to find a good deal on a modern super steel. This picture was about 3 years ago, I have about twice as many now.

Several threads have been started over the years about what knife you would keep if you could only keep one..... this model is "THE ONE"
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Recently got a C36GPE Military CPM-S30V. Absolutely love it.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

The design is timeless imo. Those lines are so clean, and flow together.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I love my Millie.

Having a true left handed knife is pretty special, and I’m grateful to Spyderco for keeping it in the lineup, even though I guess it’s not a big seller.

This pic must be a couple of years old, as it still has the factory edge!

One thing I particularly like, in addition to all of all the other features which have already been mentioned in this thread, is the heavy chamfering on the edges of the G10 scales. Makes it much more comfortable to use and hold. I’d like to see that degree of chamfering applied to all the G10 scales.