What’s up with the military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Abyss_Fish

What’s up with the military?

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I keep coming close to buying a millie. It’s got a sort of odd “vintage spyderco” aesthetic that I can’t quite shake. The simple construction, the soft corners on the bits of the handle around the pivot. I’m not even really into big knives, the spydiechef is about my limit. But it’s oddly alluring...

So what’s the deal with it? Why hasn’t it really been touched since it’s release? Why is it tip down only? Would y’all be interested in a modern iteration (thinner blade, drilled for tip up carry, steel more suited for beating, etc)?
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
carrot

Re: What’s up with the military?

Post by carrot »

The Military hasn’t been updated, because, quite simply, it is a flawless design.

When you look at the Paramilitary vs. the Paramilitary 2, you can see that Eric cleaned up the exposed square tang, improved the blade/handle ratio, and smoothed out the handle, finally bestowing the 4-position hourglass clip on it.

When you look at the Military, there’s nothing to add but an hourglass clip, which would necessitate full liners (the Military does not have full liners). And being a liner lock, it’s essentially a handed knife anyway. Many people appreciate the height that the Military sits and the thumb hole being right there because it is ridiculously fast on the draw. I bet most people can deploy the Military lightning fast without a second thought.

This isn’t all to say that the Military *couldn’t* see a sequel. In fact, a sequel has been “in-the-works” for one, maybe two decades now. But there are no true glaring flaws as it stands now.

The closest thing to an existing Military sequel would be the Police 4. But I think the Military stands very nicely on its own.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Don’t mess with my military. It’s perfect the way it is and the s30v in it works hard. The only thing I would change is more rounded scales, they are to flat and create a hot spot when cutting for long periods without gloves. I beat on a old style military and it took straight up abuse just fine. The new style with the updated pivot, stop pin, standoffs (larger lanyard tube, or tube at all is not necessary imo) and rounded pocket clip is a fantastic knife. Tip down works on this knife (bigger knives in general) and no, I don’t want a deep carry pocket clip on it.

It is a serious cutting tool and I had one clipped to my pocket every single day for years.

Like carrot said, when I know a military is in my pocket I can close my eyes and draw, open, close and return to pocket, fast, without even thinking about it. I actually just ordered a set of CF scales from Russia for my CQI military, can’t wait to give them a try!

Buy one, carry it everyday for a month and you’ll know what it’s all about!

*disclaimer, I do basically only carry SE or combo blades now and I don’t own a SE mili so... yeah... colder weather is ahead though and a pair of jeans doesn’t feel right without a mili in the pocket.
Last edited by prndltech on Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with it. Just that it would benefit from better steel and a standard clip. Neither of which would be difficult. Set pocket clip screw threads like the manix EDIT: not like the manix, but you know what I mean. And Xhp or something similar for a decent mix of sharpenabilty and edge stability. Easy additions that would triple it’s sales.
Last edited by Abyss_Fish on Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:01 pm
I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with it. Just that it would benefit from better steel and a standard clip. Neither of which would be difficult. Set pocket clip screw threads like the manix. And Xhp or something similar for a decent mix of sharpenabilty and edge stability. Easy additions that would triple it’s sales.
It currently has some “better” steels available/or were available, and tip down clips are the “standard clip”.. . on the military. :p

I personally like not having unnecessary holes in my knife handles as well, although I get why it’s done.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The only thing wrong with the Military is that there haven't been any new releases in quite some time. I sold my Military in my last purge hoping that I would be able to get a 4V or Cruwear (updated CQI...not the old one) Millie in the near future, but I haven't seen it happen. Hoping to see one of these or even a REC PVD exclusive so I can put one back in my rotation. I like them for winter when I am wearing gloves outside, so there better be an exclusive coming, and quick! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:01 pm
Easy additions that would triple it’s sales.
Sales would triple? Interesting
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Well, it's a model with a longstanding and well respected reputation. The Military has gone through some CQI but it has remained relatively unchanged. Basically, there's no need to fix what isn't broken.

Originally, the Military had different jimping and had the name "MILITARY" on the blade. There was an even earlier version with more laser marking on the blade too.

(Photo from user "rescueseven" - Thread viewtopic.php?t=79719)

There were some other CQI changes that are well documented on Spydiewiki. http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C36_Military
-Nick :bug-red
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I was in the same boat as you recently. I love the PM2, Para 3, and Stretch. You'd think a Military would be right up my ally, but I help back, mostly because of the price point. For $200 or so, I could get two $100 knives. Or a $150 knife plus a set of micarta scales. Plus, it doesn't even have a compression lock, and the clip is on the wrong side. I figured I'd wait for the Military 2 to come along, and thought maybe if I pestered Sal & Eric enough they'd do a run in K390 with Ranger Green G-10 scales and a compression lock.

Well, I had an opportunity to pick up a Military recently, the Knifeworks exclusive with Dark Green G-10 and CTS-204p steel thanks to a fellow forumite and I couldn't be happier.

Man, what a knife! I'm definitely regret waiting so long. The first thing you notice is it's big. Really big. The next thing you notice is how light it is. And finally when you open it up, it's even bigger than you thought. The liner lock is smooth, and functions flawlessly. The Military has definitely seen some CQI, and feels modern is every way.

The Millie has been in my pocket more days than not in the past month or so. I don't mind the clip position, and I don't mind the lock. The only reason I ever hesitate to pick the Military for my EDC is when I think I'm going to be working closely with others, for fear of scaring them with such a large knife. Thanks to COVID, that hasn't happened too much of an issue.

I'm still rooting for a Ranger Green, K390 Military 2 with a Compression lock. I'd like to see the handle shortened a bit if possible, the choil from the PM2, and a 4-way clip. But until then I'll keep carrying my current Military; it's a **** of a knife.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:31 pm
I'm still rooting for a Ranger Green, K390 Military 2 with a Compression lock. I'd like to see the handle shortened a bit if possible, the choil from the PM2, and a 4-way clip.
I'm in!!!
•• Beau
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:24 pm

So what’s the deal with it? Why hasn’t it really been touched since it’s release? Why is it tip down only? Would y’all be interested in a modern iteration (thinner blade, drilled for tip up carry, steel more suited for beating, etc)?
Had a Military (with wooden custom scales) and really liked it.

- Ergos: Someone once said something along the lines that the ergos of a Millie are like "siiting back in an old, comfy armchair" and I think that is true.
- Lock: Inside the "Military family" (Milli, PM2, Para 3) the Miitary is the only model that features a linerlock (and a great one). I personally clearly prefer that lock over the comp. locks of the other two - generally, but especially in a folder meant more for outdoor work and/ore to be used with gloves.
And the Millie is one of the view mid range / high end options that offers a linerlock, most others have backlock or comp.lock.
- Blade: The two of us discussed in another thread that we both prefer thinner blades ;). But the Millie blade is so long that the tapering from heel to tip makes up for the a bit thicker blade

I am with you on the only tip down: I did not like that.

Sal hinted already that there´d be a Military 2 in the works, featuring a comp. lock. If that ever comes true, I sure hope it would just be an alternative to the liner lock Millie "1" and not actually replace it.

Here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84506 is a long thread discussing a possible Millie 2, though Vivi originally started it to ask about the stop lock Millie that must have been discussed in times when I personally did not pay attention to Spyderco yet.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

DELETED
Last edited by Naperville on Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It is my favorite knife and have quite a few of them. I don’t want to see it changed but if it does change I have plenty already.

I actually prefer tip down and dislike deep carry. I like that it doesn’t have all the extra holes for 4-way. I carry it in my right rear pocket and find it very easy to access. It is winter half the year here and it is easy to use with gloves on. I like bigger knives. A big knife can do everything a small knife can and more. The blade stock thickness works well for the blade length. It has come in quite a few great steels including Rex45 and Cruwear.

I used to rotate my knives a lot but for the past six months or more I have only carried a Military, either S110V or Cruwear.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:38 am
I'm trying to sell my S110V Military. I also have a kydex sheath for it that when used opens the Military on the draw. It has never been carried or used.

Saving up for other Spyderco knives! Need to raise the cash somehow.

Hi Naperville,

please don´t take this as rude or lecturing (since I am certainly not in a position for that), but just as a reminder: No trading on the forum (following the forum rules) and I think that is a good thing (could otherwise get out of control rather quickly I guess) :)

Perhaps you could send a pm instead if you think someone might be interested in a knife you´d like to sell.

Again, no offense and my applogies should I have misinterpreted your post! :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

My only problem is thicker bladestock on the whole Para line.
Yes, its 3,7 mm, but it could be thinner. Police 4 is longer and it has only 3 mm stock, similary, Native Chief is 3,2 mm and almost the same bladelength.
Yeah yeah, it taperes down to quite thin edge, but so the Police....
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:53 am
Yes, its 3,7 mm, but it could be thinner. Police 4 is longer and it has only 3 mm stock, similary, Native Chief is 3,2 mm and almost the same bladelength.

I am with you, but on the Millie the 3.7 are ok-ish for me (though 3.0 would certainly be better, cause the blade then still would not break even in harder use, but potentially just the very tip. And that one is a bit fragile even in the current Military anyway).

The shorter the Millie family members get (and thus the less blade length is there for tapering going on) the more unideal the thicker stock imho gets: For me too thick in the PM2 and way too thick in the Para 3.
acer

Post by acer »

Love the military, especially in g 10 Guise . I have 1 in user rotation and a few in the collection . I am looking forward to the 2 version, if and when released, if it Is as good or better than military 1 were on a winner. I just really like the military family of knives. Every collection needs a military👍Out
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

I'm not interested in a Military 2. Any deviation from the current model will make this less. For those that want tip up or something else there is plenty to choose from. Leave the military for those that like it just as it is.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:53 am
I occasionally feel a little flex in the blade on my Police 4. I have never felt the blade flex on a Military. I think 3.7 is perfect on the Military, acceptable on the Para2 and way too thick for the Para3.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:11 am
I occasionally feel a little flex in the blade on my Police 4. I have never felt the blade flex on a Military. I think 3.7 is perfect on the Military, acceptable on the Para2 and way too thick for the Para3.
Interesting, never felt play in my Police 4. I agree that Para 3 is way too thick, should be 3,2 mm at max.
I might give the Military a go sometime, next year maybe.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45