C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearrowland

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by bearrowland »

My apologies. That remark, which I deleted, was out of line.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Tiquito

Post by Tiquito »

I’m curious why one would specifically want pinned construction over screws. I’m inclined to prefer screws but I’m always open to being educated or trying to understand a differing point of view.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tiquito wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:58 pm
I’m curious why one would specifically want pinned construction over screws. I’m inclined to prefer screws but I’m always open to being educated or trying to understand a differing point of view.

One advantage is they allow for a much thinner knife, if that's the goal.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
benben

Post by benben »

Dazen wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:42 pm
To my understanding we were still waiting to hear whether they could do screw construction and a four way clip. After re-reading Sal’s comments my understanding is that the knife will now be (per Mas’s desire):

VG10
Grey G10
Pinned Construction
Same thickness
Tip down carry

Also, we still have yet to hear if the clip can be done the same, and whether any others steels or scale materials are possible/cost prohibitive (linerless Ti, CF).
And.......we better get that gold bug on the clip or I’m out! ;)

I asked for a slightly larger opening hole but that’s not a huge deal.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:25 pm
Dazen wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:42 pm
To my understanding we were still waiting to hear whether they could do screw construction and a four way clip. After re-reading Sal’s comments my understanding is that the knife will now be (per Mas’s desire):

VG10
Grey G10
Pinned Construction
Same thickness
Tip down carry

Also, we still have yet to hear if the clip can be done the same, and whether any others steels or scale materials are possible/cost prohibitive (linerless Ti, CF).
And.......we better get that gold bug on the clip or I’m out! ;)

I asked for a slightly larger opening hole but that’s not a huge deal.
As trivial as it may sound I also liked that Gold Bug clip that came with all the C-60 Ayoob models. I'm quite confident when it all gets ironed out that Mr. Glesser will give us a very nice looking pocket clip for a folder of this caliber.

I'm hoping truly that Mr. Ayoob doesn't opt for pin construction especially when Mr. Glesser is all for screw construction. It won't be a deal breaker by any means. But screw construction I do believe will generate many more fans for this model. Just my 2 cents on that issue.
But irrespective of how it all pans out I'm still super happy that we are going to have another run of this legendary, Old School Spyderco folder.

Again I can't thank all you guys enough who all contributed on this historic thread. This is just great any way you look at it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Tiquito wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:58 pm
Well "tiquito" I'm with you all the way on the "screw construction" option. But trust me even if they end up opting for pinned construction don't let that be a deal breaker for you. Because if you've never had a C-60 Ayoob model then all I can say is that you are in for a real pleasant surprise :cool:

I appreciate your comments. Don't be shy if you have anything else to contribute. Because this may be the Sprint Run of the decade :cool:
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:08 pm
I've yet to own or use a Spyderco with "Super Blue" blade steel. I've heard great things about that blade steel and if they ended up opting to use it on the C-60 Sprint Run I would certainly love that on the PE unit. But they could still use VG-10 on the Spyderedged version and that would also be cool as well. But if they have to use VG-10 on both edge types I'm still very happy and very appreciative that this model can return. There are sure going to be huge amount of new C-60 fans when this is all said and done. :cool:

And thank you "Cambertree" for your great input and timely suggestions on this thread. You've been a big help and made us aware of a lot of options. The more I think about it the more intrigued I am considering what a plain edged C-60 Ayoob would be like with SuperBlue blade steel. I'm just super thankful that BenBen was able to get Mr. Massad Ayoob to participate in this project.
Thanks JD, but I didn’t really do anything. ;) :D

The answers you gave to my questions earlier about using the Ayoob for purposes other than self defence, were very interesting, and opened up my eyes to the versatility of this design and blade shape/grind.

While I think Superblue is an excellent low alloy carbon steel, I’d counsel against its use in a knife which has that SD element in it’s design. It does patina and rust very readily.

If Sal’s listening, I just wanted to make the point that while Mas might understandably want certain elements of his original design to remain unchanged, he did seem open to input on different steels.

I’d like this model to have the best chance of succeeding, and while many knife using afi’s here know and love VG10 with good reason, I can sense that there might be some ‘VG10 fatigue’ in the more general knife buying community.

Laminated HAP40 is quite corrosion resistant, even on the exposed core steel, and takes a comparably fine edge to Superblue, while having better wear resistance. It’s tough too, for those SD parameters. It has also been used already in the Caly 3.

Then there’s SRS13 - a Japanese stainless which I believe we might see in future on some Japanese Spyderco models?

I don’t believe Moki have used it, so R&D costs might be an issue, but it can’t be too much more wearing on their equipment than VG10 is.

I do know from my own experience, for whatever it’s worth, that the chance to try a new steel often ‘justifies’ buying another knife to myself. :rolleyes: :D
Iole

Post by Iole »

Repeat posting of my C-60. Buying it for the out of the box look and design. I can see it can be used in any grip style.

Attachments
Old Spyderco.jpg
benben

Post by benben »

Iole wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:31 am
Repeat posting of my C-60. Buying it for the out of the box look and design. I can see it can be used in any grip style.

Just wicked looking! Must be a very dark side to Mas! :eek:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:38 am
Iole wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:31 am

Just wicked looking! Must be a very dark side to Mas! :eek:
I really don't see it in that light at all. I truly think he had "self defense and overall function" in mind when he designed it. With Massad Ayoob being a very prominent firearms and self defense expert I truly believe he had our safety and best interest in mind. Not to mention a folder that you can deploy extremely fast.
Few people know that during that time period when the C-60 was first introduced he also had a fixed blade model that was sold through MOD ( Masters of Defense). I think that fixed blade of his was called "The Razorback". It's also a handsome looking model. It would be cool if this Sprint Run of the C-60 becomes a big success and ends up in the main line up again. I would love to see a fixed blade rendition of the C-60.

But again my ultimate goal would be to see a super deluxe version of the C-60 with a Ti or CF handle and some type of super blade steel. Super Blue Steel has been brought to my attention and that wouldn't be a bad steel to use on a model like this one. I'm starting to count the days when I can get my hands on this latest edition of what I personally believe to be one of the very best Spyderco folders of all time. This is going to be great!!
benben

Post by benben »

Nah JD, I’m carrying my Ayoob right now, I’m sticking to my original assessment, he definitely has a dark side! ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:56 am
Nah JD, I’m carrying my Ayoob right now, I’m sticking to my original assessment, he definitely has a dark side! ;)
Even if you're right I still regard it as being one of the very best from the GOLDEN ERA of Spyders 1998-2004. I'll be using the serrated Sprint Run C-60 as my companion SE blade for the first six months or so; it will probably take that long to break it in really good. The C-60 Sprint Run will most definitely draw some huge attention for Spyderco from people who have never had a Spyder before.

The C-60 is one of the very few Spyderco models I rank just the same in SE as I do in PE. I predict this Sprint Run will make believers out of many "Non-Knife and Non-Spyderco" people. It's a game changer in a very positive way.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

That knife was made to USE!! For a fighting knife, it looks to be completely practical as well.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:02 pm
That knife was made to USE!! For a fighting knife, it looks to be completely practical as well.
No argument either way. I'm not even going to try. I would lose that one :D

But that hits the nail on the proverbial head because that knife when you hold it open in your hand just begs to be used. The ergos and agility of the C-60 is not matched by very many designs in the past 20 years.

Now Cambertree thinks that Superblue Steel wouldn't be good for a C-60 blade. I'm really scratching my head on that one. A friend of mine who does woodworking has 3 chisels made with Hitachi SuperBlue and he swears by it's edge holding ability. I'll admit that I've never yet used a Spyder with Super Blue but I do want to at some point.

As great of results as I've had with my M390 Military model I would love a C-60 with that steel as well.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Me too!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Right now if I had my ultimate pick for SE & PE both and I was to be confined to only using one blade steel for both edge types I would go with CTS-XHP. Got a pal who has two of the Cold Steel folders serrated in XHP and he tells me it's a great steel in both edge types. I've got a C-36 Military model in PE and I do think that would be a great USA steel to use in the C-60.

Oh I know they've already settled on VG-10 but we can still dream can't we :D And like I said earlier if this C-60 Sprint Run goes over like tickets to a Van Halen concert there may be a possibility down the road for a really spiced up version.

And right now I'm thinking past the VG-10 models. I'll probably make one of the SE versions of the C-60 a daily user. Because VG-10 is a dandy steel in SE.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Exactly!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

While it would've been nice to see this in something other than vg10, but I'm glad to see this is picking up speed. I'll likely pick it up regardless of the final specs :)

still holding out for Lc200n tho.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:04 pm
While it would've been nice to see this in something other than vg10, but I'm glad to see this is picking up speed. I'll likely pick it up regardless of the final specs :)

still holding out for Lc200n tho.
LC200N C-60... A knife which wouldn't rust from the blood of my slain enemies? Sign me up.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Now THAT'S fighting knife talk!!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032