Dragonfly & Manbug K390

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

Re: Dragonfly & Manbug K390

Post by MacLaren »

SubMicron wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:36 am
I got mine yesterday, immediately put a fresh edge on it, and it's sitting in front of me on my desk at work now.

Arguably the K390 Dragonfly is the most powerful sub 2.5" folding knife ever made by humans, at least in terms of cutting power.
I would agree. I love my HAP40 version, but I'm really excited for this K390 model!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mine came this a.m.
Am very happy with it, and can't wait to get the 204p version too.
The Dragonfly imo, is a FANTASTIC way to have and try out many different steels!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

K390 & HAP40
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

My Orange HAP40 has a much smoother action, but Ive had it longer. Added a little Nano oil to both.
Lol, that HAP40 is smooooooth
I think the K390 will wind up being as smmoth....
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:36 am
My Orange HAP40 has a much smoother action, but Ive had it longer. Added a little Nano oil to both.
Mine is already loosening up and getting really smooth.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

4 down
•• Beau
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

SubMicron wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:20 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Cool. Mine is just a little gritty when you first start to open her up.
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:24 pm
SubMicron wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Mine was exactly the same. It did have a visible excess of factory oil, which I appreciate. I dont mind a patina, but only after I unbox and prep the knife.

Since there already was an excess, I put two drops of 10wt Nano Oil on each side of the pivot, and 1 drop of 85wt where the blade interfaces with the lock. I then wiped the whole blade with Rem Oil. I'm sure what Seki uses is great, I just like these products.

Almost immediately after cleaning the excess of oil, and fidgeting a bit, all of the grit feeling was gone. The blade drops shut with the slightest twitch of the wrist. The pivot screw was not touched.

The only problem is that since this knife has come into my possession, at work where I carry it, zero things have needed to be cut.

Believe me, anything that can be cut, has been cut.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

MacLaren wrote:
That's how my k390 delica came. Gave it a few days to smooth out and couldn't take it any longer. I opened it up and took that sharp edge off the lock bar. Smooth as glass now.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Thanks Buddafucco ;) ,

I managed to get a Delica, Dragonfly and Manbug in K390 from KSF. (Which for those of us who live outside the US, is KnivesShipVeryExpensively :D )

But at least I was able to get them all in one place, after signing in at REC and being blocked at the last minute from completing my order, presumably because of the OS address. :(
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

jpm2 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:15 pm
MacLaren wrote:
That's how my k390 delica came. Gave it a few days to smooth out and couldn't take it any longer. I opened it up and took that sharp edge off the lock bar. Smooth as glass now.
Ah ha. Ill bet mine needs the same thing done.
Thanks for that info.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

SubMicron wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:27 pm
MacLaren wrote:
SubMicron wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Mine was exactly the same. It did have a visible excess of factory oil, which I appreciate. I dont mind a patina, but only after I unbox and prep the knife.

Since there already was an excess, I put two drops of 10wt Nano Oil on each side of the pivot, and 1 drop of 85wt where the blade interfaces with the lock. I then wiped the whole blade with Rem Oil. I'm sure what Seki uses is great, I just like these products.

Almost immediately after cleaning the excess of oil, and fidgeting a bit, all of the grit feeling was gone. The blade drops shut with the slightest twitch of the wrist. The pivot screw was not touched.

The only problem is that since this knife has come into my possession, at work where I carry it, zero things have needed to be cut.

Believe me, anything that can be cut, has been cut.
Lol, I hear ya! It's so hard to put down :D
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Cambertree wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:17 pm
Thanks Buddafucco ;) ,

I managed to get a Delica, Dragonfly and Manbug in K390 from KSF. (Which for those of us who live outside the US, is KnivesShipVeryExpensively :D )

But at least I was able to get them all in one place, after signing in at REC and being blocked at the last minute from completing my order, presumably because of the OS address. :(
Awesome!.. I'm happy that you're mostly happy! :D
Just out of curiosity. Are there stores in the US that have better shipping to Australia... or are they all just plain expensive? I've never actually looked into that.
•• Beau
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Well, I'm jealous. Still no word on my BladeHQ pre-order.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:20 pm
Cambertree wrote:
Thanks Buddafucco ;) ,

Just out of curiosity. Are there stores in the US that have better shipping to Australia... or are they all just plain expensive? I've never actually looked into that.
Hi mate, thanks again. :D

Yes, a lot of stores either won’t ship overseas or charge a large flat rate like $60USD, however little or how much you buy.

Then, larger businesses that do more than $750.000 p.a. sales into Australia also charge up front 10% goods and services tax, which needs to be forwarded to the Australian Tax Office.

Most companies that have ‘Knife’ in their business name will also end up being routed through Customs for examination, adding another week or so to the shipping time.

Usually I order through New Graham who initially charge the $60 USD shipping and then refund anything over the exact shipping price - usually $35 or so.

Their shipping is usually very quick too, in pre-Covid times a package would often get here in just over a week.

I’ve always been very happy with their service, and only usually go with other places when NGK don’t have all the things I want in stock.

That’s a nice array of K390 blades you have there, too. :cool: :spyder:
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Cambertree wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:26 am
Buddafucco wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:20 pm
Cambertree wrote:
Thanks Buddafucco ;) ,

Hi mate, thanks again. :D

Yes, a lot of stores either won’t ship overseas or charge a large flat rate like $60USD, however little or how much you buy.

Then, larger businesses that do more than $750.000 p.a. sales into Australia also charge up front 10% goods and services tax, which needs to be forwarded to the Australian Tax Office.

Most companies that have ‘Knife’ in their business name will also end up being routed through Customs for examination, adding another week or so to the shipping time.

Usually I order through New Graham who initially charge the $60 USD shipping and then refund anything over the exact shipping price - usually $35 or so.

Their shipping is usually very quick too, in pre-Covid times a package would often get here in just over a week.

I’ve always been very happy with their service, and only usually go with other places when NGK don’t have all the things I want in stock.

That’s a nice array of K390 blades you have there, too. :cool: :spyder:
Thanks for the info.
I have a feeling my K390 blades are going to triple before the end of the year! ;) :spyder:
•• Beau
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:03 am
Same here! I’m waiting impatiently!
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Blackpearl wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:36 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:03 am
Same here! I’m waiting impatiently!
That pre-order suspense is agonizing!
•• Beau
Arkansaw

Post by Arkansaw »

KnifeCenter hasn’t notified me yet that my June preorder has shipped 😒

What’s this I hear about a 20cv dragonfly?
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Wow, I ordered the DF2, Delica and Manbug late last week, and received the package from KnivesShipFree yesterday!

Lightning quick shipping from KSF. From Tennessee to Melbourne, Australia in 5 days! :)

The Delica and Manbug are for a friend who seems to have bitten by the Spydie bug. ;) :D

The Dragonfly’s in my pocket. :cool: :spyder:

Very nice edge on it too. And the Sal ‘glyph’ is a nice addition. Thanks again, Buddafucco. :)