Chaparral with full steel liners (not nested)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Johncjeff

Chaparral with full steel liners (not nested)

Post by Johncjeff »

Can anyone confirm that the carbon fiber chap or the Raffir Noble chap still come with the full steel liners and not the nested liners? I recently ordered a native 5 that was advertised as having full steel liners but came as a cqi linerless version. I just want to make sure that I’m not surprised when I open the mail. I appreciate the help. Thanks In advance.
sn0wman72

Re: Chaparral with full steel liners (not nested)

Post by sn0wman72 »

I can confirm that the CF Chaparral has full liners.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I had no idea the native had gone to linerless g10?
/ David
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Sonorum wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:32 am
Quite a while back now. Maybe 2 years? I think it coincided with the change from S35vn to S30v.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:05 am
Sonorum wrote:
Quite a while back now. Maybe 2 years? I think it coincided with the change from S35vn to S30v.
That must have changed the weight! Why not call it a Native 6. I wonder what needs to happen cqi-wise to warrant a number change.
/ David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sonorum wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:34 am
That must have changed the weight! Why not call it a Native 6. I wonder what needs to happen cqi-wise to warrant a number change.

Spyderco naming conventions have always been somewhat inconsistent and puzzling. However, generally speaking, version/generation changes imply either the resurrection of a discontinued design with only minor changes (as in the case of the Navigator 2) or a major change in the design although even some of those don't get one. Case in point, original Stretch had a stainless steel handle with Kraton inserts. The peel-ply CF version that came next, and all subsequent versions prior to the Stretch 2, were larger and not one single part is interchangeable between them and the SS/Kraton version, but it took yet another increase in size before the Stretch became the Stretch 2.

Off hand, I can't think of a single case where simple CQI resulted in a generation change.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:50 am
Sonorum wrote:

Spyderco naming conventions have always been somewhat inconsistent and puzzling. However, generally speaking, version/generation changes imply either the resurrection of a discontinued design with only minor changes (as in the case of the Navigator 2) or a major change in the design although even some of those don't get one. Case in point, original Stretch had a stainless steel handle with Kraton inserts. The peel-ply CF version that came next, and all subsequent versions prior to the Stretch 2, were larger and not one single part is interchangeable between them and the SS/Kraton version, but it took yet another increase in size before the Stretch became the Stretch 2.

Off hand, I can't think of a single case where simple CQI resulted in a generation change.
The para military? The look similar, no size change if I recall right?

On that note, the para 3 name is just plain wrong :p
/ David
Johncjeff

Post by Johncjeff »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:05 am
Sonorum wrote:
I should have been more specific. The g10 s110v native 5 is now linerless. Just happened in last month or so.
Johncjeff

Post by Johncjeff »

sn0wman72 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:09 pm
I can confirm that the CF Chaparral has full liners.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate the help
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sonorum wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:11 am

Differences, while not huge, are large enough that I suspect no parts aside from some of the screws would be interchangeable.

Sizes are in mm:

-----------PM - PM2
Blade--: 081 - 087
Edge---: 074 - 077
Closed-: 121 - 122
Open---: 200 - 209
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

My Raffir Noble that's less than a year old has full steel liners. Awesome gentleman's knife.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:41 pm
Sonorum wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:11 am

Differences, while not huge, are large enough that I suspect no parts aside from some of the screws would be interchangeable.

Sizes are in mm:

-----------PM - PM2
Blade--: 081 - 087
Edge---: 074 - 077
Closed-: 121 - 122
Open---: 200 - 209
Well that's clearly two different knives! I didn't remember it that way.

Sorry for derailing the thread folks! :D
/ David
joe58

Post by joe58 »

Perhaps already answered elsewhere, but will the birdseye maple Chaparral have full or nested liners? Not sure I care for not having full steel liners. I was kinda disappointed when my Sun/Moon Chaparral arrived.
JMM

Post by JMM »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:50 am
Sonorum wrote:

I'm relatively new to Native family, I got my first Native5 about a year ago, it's the cpm-154 clad s90v blade with steel liners and CF scales... that was the only one I owned until the last few months when I picked up both the G10 and LW versions of the Rex45 & 4V models. I guess I've never quite understood the move to making the G10 linerless, I remember when the Native5 Chief first came out and lots of folks were up in arms about why a knife that size (and cost) didn't have liners, and I think I understand reasonably well the trade-offs for the Chief, which I really do like and am super stoked for the Rex45 & S90V models to finally arrive, but does anyone else think that moving the G10 models away from having liners makes it more akin to the FRN/LW model? My first Native5, the aforementioned CF/154/S90V is one of the stoutest/strongest knives of that size I've ever owned by any maker, and while it is a little heavy for that small I knife I personally like it and think it's worth the weight. Anyhow, enough rambling, just curious about others thoughts, sorry for the thread derail, but it's something that's puzzled me and it was being touched upon...