Enuff Drop Point/Leaf in LC200N PE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ejcr98

Enuff Drop Point/Leaf in LC200N PE

Post by ejcr98 »

Lately I have been getting more into day hiking. I live in an island in the Caribbean and my hikes are mainly to humid or wet forest areas with a lot of streams, small ponds and rivers. Thus corrosion resistance is fairly important to me.

I am looking into getting a small fixed blade for my hikes. I want it to be fairly sturdy with as much corrosion resistance as possible, since the blade will get wet or humid for several hours during the hikes.

I looked into the Enuff but the only rust proof version is serrated and in sheepsfoot. The drop point and the leaf blade are in VG-10. Not sure it will be rust resistant and tough enough.

With the inclusion of LC200N into the Seki line of knives (like with the Pac Salt 2 in the new Reveal), I was wondering if an LC200N PE Enuff is a possibility.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Enuff Drop Point/Leaf in LC200N PE

Post by Doc Dan »

That would sell me.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ejcr98 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:37 am
I looked into the Enuff but the only rust proof version is serrated and in sheepsfoot. The drop point and the leaf blade are in VG-10. Not sure it will be rust resistant and tough enough.

With the inclusion of LC200N into the Seki line of knives (like with the Pac Salt 2 in the new Reveal), I was wondering if an LC200N PE Enuff is a possibility.
In my use VG10 is practically 100 % rustproof. I carry and use my knives a lot in wet and sweaty conditions, but I don´t live no where near saltwater (!)

For me the Enuff is a great design, but, well, just not "enuff" when it comes to bladelength / length of cutting edge (0.5 to 1 " more would do it for me!)

Have you looked into the Waterway? Sure a lot larger than the Enuff, but that imho is not a drawback at all if carried on the belt.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

I did look at the Waterway but it’s longer than what I am looking for. It’s also a thinner blade and I wanted something a bit more robust.

Originally I looked at the Esee Candiru and Izula bit they are in 1095, which is not really rust resistant.

I have some knives in VG-10 and they are fine for when I am in the city, but when I have taken them out hiking, if I forget to dry them off afterwards they develop some rust, although nothing major. I am interested in the LC200N because its much more maintenance free and it is tougher than VG-10. H-1 would be fine too if it was available in a PE drop point or leaf blade configuration.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I know new enuffs (which better be called “more than enuff”) are on the way. Since the salt series appears to be moving into lc200n across the board I wouldn’t be surprised if the new “more than enuff” salt is in lc200n.

And of course I’d be all over it :)
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

I read something about the new Enuffs. I think they are going to make the blades longer and thinner. For me, that defeats the purpose of the Enuff’s original concept, which is to have a blade just long enough and robust enough to handle most survival/camping tasks. Sort of like an Esee Izula 2, which the current Enuffs are very similar in size to.

I had rather they keep it them as they are size wise and just improve the steel. But I am sure Spyderco knows more than me about what works best and what sells best, so they must have valid reasons for the change.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Although nothing I'm interested in, I'm thinking this is a really good suggestion for the Enuff. Apparently there is no Spyderco small fixed blade serving this niche (stout short highly corrosion resistant blade). A LC200N Enuff (with green frn handle?) would do it; just wonder how big the niche is? A LC200N Enuff 2 would be a better match for my uses, so hopefully we eventually get to see both.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

I am guessing there is a fair enough market. The Esee Izulas are great sellers and they coat them to avoid corrosion everywhere except the edge. I think the Enuff compete directly with the Izulas. I am guessing they are made in VG-10 because when they were introduced to market LC200N was not used or not used a lot and because the Japan factory traditionally only worked with Japanese steels. Both those things have changed now. I don’t know what the price difference between VG-10 and LC200N is, but I can’t imagine is too significant to make a change to LC200N not viable.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

If you were looking at the Izula, check out the Esee Xancudo fixed blade or the similarly sized White River Knives Backpacker Pro, both in S35VN.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ejcr,

So if I'm reading you correctly, you want a LC "leaf" Enuff with the same 2.5" blade with the thicker blade stock?
The Enuff 2 is 4.0" blade with thinner stock.

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

sal wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:04 am
Hi Ejcr,

So if I'm reading you correctly, you want a LC "leaf" Enuff with the same 2.5" blade with the thicker blade stock?

sal
I read it that Ejcr wants the leaf plain edge in LC200n, being that the sheepsfoot SE Salt version is not meeting their needs nor is VG-10 of the other models.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

What about a plain edge ARK? If you could get by with a folder, there's the Native 5 LW Salt with LC200N in PE.
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

sal wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:04 am
Hi Ejcr,

sal
Sal, hi.

Yes, you are reading me right. I want the current Enuff in leaf or drop point but in LC200N PE.

To me, what I understood to be the point of the original Enuff model, which was to have a blade just sturdy enough and long enough to handle most tasks, made perfect sense. I am sure that for some a longer thinner blade makes more sense, but to me it sort of defeats the purpose for my intended use, which is to have as small, sturdy, tough, and corrosion resistant a blade as possible for day hikes in very rugged but wet/humid environments.

By the way, spent the whole day today at the beach with nothing but the LC200N Native Salt PE and the DF2 Salt SE. What great knives!
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

mikey177 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:05 am
If you were looking at the Izula, check out the Esee Xancudo fixed blade or the similarly sized White River Knives Backpacker Pro, both in S35VN.
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the Xancudo but it’s thinner and has a less wide blade profile, so I think it’s less robust than what I had in mind. Also, I checked a video and the Esee guys broke one of their S35VN knives. I am sure they abuses it more than I would and Esee has a lifetime warranty, bit jot sure the Xancudo S35VN is what I have in mind.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ejcr,

I'll look into it. Might have a green handle?

sal
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:27 am
Hi Ejcr,

sal

Does that mean all green will be LC200N!?
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dazen,

That's the plan for now.

sal
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Awesome. Love the green, can't wait for the lc pac salt and more options to come. SE Hawkbills, please!!! 🤞🤞
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Dazen wrote:
sal wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:27 am
Hi Ejcr,

sal

Does that mean all green will be LC200N!?
I wonder if the caribbean and native salt will change color?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I'm excited for this knife. I really like the Enuff ergonomics, but the small thick blade limits use for me... even 0.5 inches longer and a little thinner would make this a real winner!