Sprint/Exclusive Deal Breakers

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Haunted House

Re: Sprint/Exclusive Deal Breakers

Post by Haunted House »

Smooth G-10 handle is the only real dealbreaker for me.

I got the Para 3 Cruwear with the smooth G-10 handles and it just sits in the box with a dinged up edge because I’ve dropped it so many times when closing it. The edge needs to be completely re-profiled. I don’t trust smooth grips at all. The last time it almost landed on my toe.
F*** smooth G-10.

I don’t care for coated blades either but I can live with em.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Haunted House wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:25 pm

I got the Para 3 Cruwear with the smooth G-10 handles and it just sits in the box with a dinged up edge because I’ve dropped it so many times when closing it. The edge needs to be completely re-profiled. I don’t trust smooth grips at all. The last time it almost landed on my toe.
F*** smooth G-10.

Yeah I tend to fully agree with you on that one. Because to me one of the best attributes of G-10 is it's great grip properties. and you diminish that if you make it smooth :confused: I might even get new handle/scales on my M390 Military by next spring. I've carried it and used it so much it's wearing kind of smooth.

Yeah I don't get that one at all. Because that's the main reason people tell me why they don't like Spyderco knives with stainless handles is because they are too slick. Smooth G-10 is truly counter-productive :(
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:32 pm
Haunted House wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:25 pm

F*** smooth G-10.

Yeah I tend to fully agree with you on that one. Because to me one of the best attributes of G-10 is it's great grip properties. and you diminish that if you make it smooth :confused: I might even get new handle/scales on my M390 Military by next spring. I've carried it and used it so much it's wearing kind of smooth.

Yeah I don't get that one at all. Because that's the main reason people tell me why they don't like Spyderco knives with stainless handles is because they are too slick. Smooth G-10 is truly counter-productive :(
Although I have a stepped titanium chaparral in my collection that was acquired at a steep discount, stainless steel and titanium handles have been deal breakers for me!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Really just anything weirdly mismatched with the model or difficult to maintain. Like plain wood handles or putting something fragile like maxamet on a thin worker like the frn seki models (or I dunno 1095 on a pacific salt 2). Or anything particularly bland or murder-y, color is very important to me. My pockets should be glowing at all times.

Also,
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:26 pm
  • San Mai steels (will likely pass on the SRS-13 sprint series if San Mai...would buy most models if unclad)
What in particular don't you like about cladding? It only improves toughness and stainless-ness, while allowing neat cosmetic stuff like damascus (I know you said you also don't like that but stay with me) while keeping the positive attributes of the base steel. It's an absolute must on all my carbon kitchen knives, and if I were to wade into less stainless pocket knives it'll be a must there as well...
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I don't like anything in natural or "jade" G10.

Also, if a run is small, like only 600 pieces, I would pass on it, as I live on the opposite side of the globe and am usually unable to get up at 3 a.m. to match Internet speed and computer processing power with other AFIs.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:21 pm
PStone wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:58 pm
Just one deal breaker for me. Knifecenter. I don’t care what model exclusives they got in any steel. Even if they end up commissioning a Maxamet Millie. Flat out deal breaker. I won’t buy it. Not even on the secondary market. I even sold the KC exclusives I did have. Too many bad experiences to ever support them again.
Now that's interesting. I've probably bought more knives from KC than all the other dealers I've used combined. Never had an issue. I've always had good service too any time I've called them.
I used to buy a lot from them too. I’ve had issues there as well other dealers too. But they have had the worst customer service of them all. Either Spyderco or my CC company have had to step in every time. The only vendor I’ve ever had to do that with. Multiple times. But I do hope your issue free streak continues, and am not asking anyone to grab a pitchfork. Just to pay with AmericanExpress...

And so I’m not all negative, in my experience, StNicks and BHQ have given me the BEST customer service when something wasn’t right.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:54 pm
Really just anything weirdly mismatched with the model or difficult to maintain. Like plain wood handles or putting something fragile like maxamet on a thin worker like the frn seki models (or I dunno 1095 on a pacific salt 2). Or anything particularly bland or murder-y, color is very important to me. My pockets should be glowing at all times.

steelcity16 wrote:

:p This actually made me laugh... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:54 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
  • San Mai steels (will likely pass on the SRS-13 sprint series if San Mai...would buy most models if unclad)
What in particular don't you like about cladding? It only improves toughness and stainless-ness, while allowing neat cosmetic stuff like damascus (I know you said you also don't like that but stay with me) while keeping the positive attributes of the base steel. It's an absolute must on all my carbon kitchen knives, and if I were to wade into less stainless pocket knives it'll be a must there as well...

I totally respect that it is just personal preference if one likes cladded steels or not, but I am with you.

I personally really like my cladded HAP 40 knives!! From a functional point of view anyway (for the reasons you pointed out), but I also like the historical background.
Furthermore, there is nothing that looks more "personal and individual" than a well used cladded HAP 40 (or other non rust proof carbon steel) knife: Unique "scratch pattern" on the soft cladding steel, and unique patina on the lower part of the blade. No piece will look the same over time.
Again, perfectly fine if that is exactly what some do NOT like, but I do very much.

Only potential reason I am aware of so far that could speak against cladded steel in my book: At least concerning HAP 40 I´ve read that it can´t be heat treated / can´t be made as hard as REX 45 - just what I heard, I am not a steel expert myself at all.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:59 am
Only potential reason I am aware of so far that could speak against cladded steel in my book: At least concerning HAP 40 I´ve read that it can´t be heat treated / can´t be made as hard as REX 45 - just what I heard, I am not a steel expert myself at all.
It's my understanding that it's a bit more difficult to heat treat cladded blades in general, although someone with enough skill could do some really interesting variable treatments I'm sure. I usually leave all that mess to the makers though, same as you I'm not exactly a metallurgist. I see the potential though.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

mikey177 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:56 pm
I don't like anything in natural or "jade" G10.

Same sentiments here... I'll pass if its natural/Jade G-10...never really understood the appeal. Looks like a glow in the dark toy to me and not a knife that's meant for use. M4 is one of my favorite steels but I've had to pass several BHQ offerings just because of the "Jade" scales.

Smooth G10.

Fancy carbon fiber patterns like on the Domino.

Also, anything wood. Except maybe for the Watu... now that's a knife that's really meant for wooden scales.

mikey177 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:56 pm
Also, if a run is small, like only 600 pieces, I would pass on it, as I live on the opposite side of the globe and am usually unable to get up at 3 a.m. to match Internet speed and computer processing power with other AFIs.

As an international collector, this is one of my extreme deal breakers too. We have to deal with ungodly hours jockeying for positioning with snipers, bots and intermittent internet connectivity. This was one of my disappointments with the REC PM2 drop. They did not announce the date of the drop, so we had to spend several sleepless nights coming off from work and family stuff, only to miss the drop.

I wish dealers would agree to maybe do a preorder for their exclusives with an initial deposit to secure a slot months before the expected drop. I think this is an alternative to avoid snipers and bots crashing the e-commerce servers that these dealers are using during drop time. It's a shame that international customers are missing out on these exclusives because of flippers and profiteers using bots and scripts to secure several copies to sell for a profit at eBay/secondary market.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Seems obvious but it has to be a model I'm interested in the first place, and 95% of sprints and exclusives are of Para 2s and 3s and other models I'm not interested in so I don't get much further than that. Once it's a model I like it's the steel that makes it or breaks it, because scales are easy enough to dye or change. Lately edge type has been one of the biggest deal breakers, but sprints and exclusives are an area where I'll step out of my SE shell and buy PE, in fact I've only bought two PE knives in something like 5 years and those were the Sliverax and Cruwear Shaman.

One thing that definitely kills a sale for me are clad blades (or rather really uneven laminate lines). If they were more consistently even on each side I could live with it easier but this isn't like an uneven edge bevel that I can fix myself. Also sometimes I like the challenge of dealing with a patina, I would rather have to deal with patina and potentially rust than a wonky laminate line.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

Lots of preferences influence my purchases, but I can only think of two real deal breakers. First is Liner/Frame locks as to me they are functionally the same and I don’t like ‘em. Second is metal handles in general (though I could see trying brass scales on a grip secure knife like a Manix, but the weight might keep it on the shelf more than in the pocket.)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Para3. Thankfully, not liking this popular model as saved me a lot of money!
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

The two biggest deal-breakers for me are coated blades and zome. I don't necessarily have anything against coated blades from a functional standpoint, I just do not prefer them aesthetically vs. satin. And zome.. hahah just no.. not for me.

I'm typically willing to give anything a try from a design standpoint, but these two features pretty much guarantee that I will not buy a knife.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

steelcity16 wrote:
What are some things that will keep you from buying a knife in a model and steel that you would otherwise buy in almost any other combination??

So for example, some of my favorite models include the Endura, Delica, Dragonfly, Military, Manix, and Native. If a dealer did an exclusive in any of those with a solid color of Peel Ply G10 or FRN and a coated Cruwear blade, I would buy them all.

But some deal breakers on these knives would be:

• Smooth G10 handles (I passed on all of the smooth G10 Cruwear exclusives...would have bought all in Peel Ply G10
  • Zome FRN (I passed on the 4 GITD Zome Delica/Endura models...non-zome I would have bought all 4)
  • The weird "liner" on that S90V Delica that people reported was peeling off like paint (passed, would have bought sans liner)
Some other deal breakers for me in these models would be:

• Damascus blades (don't like the looks of these)
  • pretty much any scale material other than FRN/FRCP, Peel Ply G10, or Micarta (I don't like Ti, CF, wood, etc)
I don't own any knives with any of these features, and I won't buy any with any of these features. They are all instant deal killers for me, regardless of how much I want the model and steel.

It's good I have these rules as I already have more Spydies than I will ever need and there were a half dozen or more just in Reveal 6 that I do want! :eek:

Anyone else think like this? Could be things like DLC/PVD/TiCN coatings, "girly" colors like Purple or Pink, neon colors, GITD, a Tanto blade, a Combo Edge, an Emerson Opener, a Saber Ground blade, a Serrated Edge blade, excessive shipping, high prices, etc.

I've reached the point where there are really only a few models I'll buy at all, only a couple of those where I'll buy more than one version. Those last would be the Stretch and the Chaparral and, where they are concerned, I'll buy any that come out but what I'll buy and what I'll carry are two different things. On the Stretch, I won't carry any in a non-stainless steel, any with a serrated or combo edge blade, or any with a peel-ply textured handle. If they ever did any with a black blade, tanto point, or a Zome, GITD, or Camo handle, I would not carry those either. Not crazy about the Japanese damascus, but had someone tone down the etch's contrast on one and do carry that occasionally. OTOH, would love to see on, especially the straight spine version, in a nice Damasteel pattern. As for the Chaparral, have them all, but the only two I really ever carry are the original CF and the blue titanium versions.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

My main deal-breaker is what I call "shrunken-head knives", i.e. knives with a disproportionate blade/handle ratio (big handle and small blade). For instance, for my aesthetic standards, the PM2 falls into that cathegory ... but I have to confess that I bought one (S110V) because I could not resist the "social pressure" (any collector must have a PM2 ... or he is not a collector) . :rolleyes:
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

I have instituted a few deal breakers because I can't keep up with exclusive chase with releases that sell out in 60 seconds; only to overpay on the secondary market.
I primarily collect the Golden knives. I have almost all the Paramilitary 2 models (except Pink) and will not buy the upcoming "Colorado" PM2. I view that as a special commissioned knife almost like the Native 5 "Never Summer" knife.
Enter the PM3...29 G-10 releases so far. I had to make the Lightweight models a deal breaker because I can see every color imaginable coming (think Delica/Endura); In line with that I'm selling my FRCP/FRN Manix2's to only have G-10/CF.
I have a lot of Spyderco's 300+ but I have not purchased 1 new release since the Para3 was released.
So almost all other models are deal breakers, except:
C36 Military
C41 Native
C81 Para Military 2
C85 Yojimbo 2
C101 Manix 2
C223 Para3
The sheer number of Sprint/Exclusive releases for the knives listed above make it impossible to consider any other models.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Oh, I forgot a big one. Writing on the blade. I won't buy collectors club knives and I won't buy a knife with exclusive writing on the blade. For example, I would pass on the USN exclusives, TNP Dragonfly, Never Summer Native, etc.

I do however like the H1 and LC200N logos, Sal and Eric's makers mark, and that's about it. I did like the LionSteel logo on the SpyOpera too. The little Heinie Haynes "H" on their UKPK was nice too.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:01 pm
...I do love the Purple/DLC combo from DLT ...
That's funny, I did like that combo too (as an exception)!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram