Sprint/Exclusive Deal Breakers

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Sprint/Exclusive Deal Breakers

Post by steelcity16 »

What are some things that will keep you from buying a knife in a model and steel that you would otherwise buy in almost any other combination??

So for example, some of my favorite models include the Endura, Delica, Dragonfly, Military, Manix, and Native. If a dealer did an exclusive in any of those with a solid color of Peel Ply G10 or FRN and a coated Cruwear blade, I would buy them all.

But some deal breakers on these knives would be:

• Smooth G10 handles (I passed on all of the smooth G10 Cruwear exclusives...would have bought all in Peel Ply G10
  • Zome FRN (I passed on the 4 GITD Zome Delica/Endura models...non-zome I would have bought all 4)
  • The weird "liner" on that S90V Delica that people reported was peeling off like paint (passed, would have bought sans liner)
Some other deal breakers for me in these models would be:

• San Mai steels (will likely pass on the SRS-13 sprint series if San Mai...would buy most models if unclad)
  • Damascus blades (don't like the looks of these)
  • pretty much any scale material other than FRN/FRCP, Peel Ply G10, or Micarta (I don't like Ti, CF, wood, etc)
I don't own any knives with any of these features, and I won't buy any with any of these features. They are all instant deal killers for me, regardless of how much I want the model and steel.

It's good I have these rules as I already have more Spydies than I will ever need and there were a half dozen or more just in Reveal 6 that I do want! :eek:

Anyone else think like this? Could be things like DLC/PVD/TiCN coatings, "girly" colors like Purple or Pink, neon colors, GITD, a Tanto blade, a Combo Edge, an Emerson Opener, a Saber Ground blade, a Serrated Edge blade, excessive shipping, high prices, etc.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Mr Blonde

Re: Sprint/Exclusive Deal Breakers

Post by Mr Blonde »

I really don't like coated blades myself, I have maybe 2 of those in my collection.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Few variables would be a solid deal breaker for me, except maybe garish colors/designs like, ahem, a certain upcoming Sprint lol.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm not real picky either. It all depends on the model, handle material, color etc. For example, I didn't go for the recent purple G10/DLC Cruwear PM2 because I already have several PM2s (including a Cruwear) and I'm not a big fan of purple G10. I did like that they used a color we hadn't seen before but I decided to pass because I can't have every version of a model I like
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I really don't like coated blades and it's kept me from purchasing some interesting knives, like the St Nick's 4V exclusives or the DLT purple/Cruwear PM2. The coating adds no benefit for me. I do have a Para 3 LW with a DLC coating, but only to step outside my comfort zone. So far, 2 months later, my opinion hasn't changed. I prefer to be able to see the steel and maintain it accordingly.

If a wire clip is added to an existing model, that would be enough for me to pass on it. I don't like how wobbly they feel.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Deal Breakers potentially could be (but not necessarily)

- Features that make a model a lot heavier (metal scales)
- (Very unlikely to happen) Offering only tip down carry in a model that normally can be carried tip up
- Not a fan of pink or purple scales, but I could dye those
- Sabre grind / sabre hollow grind instead of ffg
- No ffg SE option in a model that normally (also) comes in ffg SE
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PStone

Post by PStone »

Just one deal breaker for me. Knifecenter. I don’t care what model exclusives they got in any steel. Even if they end up commissioning a Maxamet Millie. Flat out deal breaker. I won’t buy it. Not even on the secondary market. I even sold the KC exclusives I did have. Too many bad experiences to ever support them again.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:50 pm
I really don't like coated blades myself, I have maybe 2 of those in my collection.
Ditto.

I do love the Purple/DLC combo from DLT and I will be getting the Autonomy 2 in SE. Other than a few specific cases, DLC will absolutely keep me from buying a Sprint.

Other than that? A low hollow like on the Fradon Manix. I'll pass.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Think this boils down to personal preferences and uses.

Having messed with a number of knives over the past couple years I'm finding my tastes are whittling down to the following so they set the stage for deal breakers:

1) Locks - I like back and compression (as well as slip joint and axis). I've parted with most all my liner locks this past year, never took to the cbbl, and never have taken to the frame lock ( i keep telling myself to try one for a few months to see if this will change, but never seem to bring one home with me).

2) Size - not too small/not too big. For me this range seems to be approximately between Chaparral and PM2.

3) Country of Manufacture. Not buying China knives; a limitation I've put on my collecting. I seem to be doing just fine without them.

Other than that I try to keep an open mind about it; yet I still do have things I prefer more and prefer less but wouldn't classify them as deal breakers. :D

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

My only real deal breaker is if it's made in China or it uses a Chinese steel.
--Jeremy
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yup, coated blades. I own a boatload of Spydies and only have two coated blades. I have passed on a few great sprints for that reason.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

What will make me pass?

1) Price. Too high is a hard pass. It has to pass my personal value test.

2) Design. If I don’t like it, I won’t buy it no matter how rare, how collectable, or who designed it.

3) Color. Like everyone, there are some colors I don’t like.

Everything else is debatable.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

PStone wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:58 pm
Just one deal breaker for me. Knifecenter. I don’t care what model exclusives they got in any steel. Even if they end up commissioning a Maxamet Millie. Flat out deal breaker. I won’t buy it. Not even on the secondary market. I even sold the KC exclusives I did have. Too many bad experiences to ever support them again.
Now that's interesting. I've probably bought more knives from KC than all the other dealers I've used combined. Never had an issue. I've always had good service too any time I've called them.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Can't think of any dealbreakers right now... Lord knows I'll buy just about any spyderco knife or accessory
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

The only absolute deal breaker - on a model I know I'd otherwise like - would be plain ol' black g10 scales. And that only really applies to models that don't have aftermarket scale options (like the linerless Native 5s). Although the model has to be pretty special under those circumstances, like the first Smock sprint from Knifejoy.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm trying to imagine a shaman that I wouldn't buy....probably the vg10 sprint :P
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
anycal

Post by anycal »

Knives I haven't had any interest in before, sprint/exclusive will not change that.

- budget line - unfortunate, because I really like the Tenacious
- blade shapes - anything with a curve (including hawkbill), emerson, sheepsfoot, trailing point, tanto
- clipitool
Peter
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

As others have said, for me it all boils down to my taste and value meter. If I love a design, I will always consider a sprint. If it is something that interests me very little, all the other variables have to be in sync to make me buy it. Case in point, the Manbug never interested me before Reveal 6, now I want the wharncliffe.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

My main deal breaker is a righty design bias in the lock, or carry configuration.

It’s a standard response just after looking at all the cool new models in a catalogue or Reveal, to go through them again and sift out all the righty specific designs.

One day, Spyderco will give us lefty Spyderheads a treat to make up for it, like a rerun of the Lefty Millie in a tool steel like Rex45, K390, or 4V. :D :p :)
chrisb507

Post by chrisb507 »

My only deal breaker decision goes like this: Is it a Chap?
No: I'll think about it.
Yes: I'll buy it.